Hamilton 75 James Condos | 108m | 34s | LIUNA | Graziani + Corazza

A different perspective of this development that I don't think i've seen on here before. Love the urban vibe Hamilton has.

1Hk0g81.png

This angle highlights in a way I haven't appreciated before the unusual design decisions that shaped this into what it is. Why build basically a sideways skyscraper that a vertical skyscraper emerges from? Why not build two tall buildings, one facing James and one facing Hughson, with a reasonable podium connecting them? On the one hand, this creates the weird 10+ storey wall that runs the whole length of the block along Jackson. On the other hand, I guess this design also does a great favour to the owner of the parking lot at Main and Hughson, offering a far superior environment for that parcel to be developed into a high-rise in the future. But the developer of this site wouldn't care much about that (right? LIUNA doesn't own the parking lot as far as I know... who does?)... I would love to be a fly on the years-ago wall to hear how these counter-intuitive design decisions got made.

Edit: Quick math tells me that if any one of the 4th-8th floors of this building were turned sideways, it would be one of the top 10 tallest buildings in Hamilton. Incredibly weird design!

Last edited:
This angle highlights in a way I haven't appreciated before the unusual design decisions that shaped this into what it is. Why build basically a sideways skyscraper that a vertical skyscraper emerges from? Why not build two tall buildings, one facing James and one facing Hughson, with a reasonable podium connecting them? On the one hand, this creates the weird 10+ storey wall that runs the whole length of the block along Jackson. On the other hand, I guess this design also does a great favour to the owner of the parking lot at Main and Hughson, offering a far superior environment for that parcel to be developed into a high-rise in the future. But the developer of this site wouldn't care much about that (right? LIUNA doesn't own the parking lot as far as I know... who does?)... I would love to be a fly on the years-ago wall to hear how these counter-intuitive design decisions got made.

Edit: Quick math tells me that if any one of the 4th-8th floors of this building were turned sideways, it would be one of the top 10 tallest buildings in Hamilton. Incredibly weird design!

Considering the inn on the plot originally burned down, most likely the city owns it.

Also on the parking lot side the original building wraps around making it so you can't really but anything up to that building - the corner is in a sense "rounded"

Back