Toronto 550 Wellington West and 1 Hotel | ?m | 15s | Freed | a—A

Tentative occupancy date is August 17 2009, less than 6 months.

Highly unlikely, except for the hotel part, since construction is only on the 11ish floor forming and cladding windows on the 5ish floor.

I would assume that none of the interiors have been started.

Highly unlikely, except for the hotel part, since construction is only on the 11ish floor forming and cladding windows on the 5ish floor.

I would assume that none of the interiors have been started.

The hotel building is on the 13th floor and there are only 2 floors left, the residential part is ready, except for a couple of storeys in the last building on the east side, it is only 10 floors for the residential part with 2 additional storeys in the main buildings. I walk by the building every day on my way to work and I have seen that they spend in average 1 week and a half to complete windows for one floor. By the end of April the whole structure and windows should be ready.

4 March 2009 photo update

dsc00031y.jpg

dsc00033i.jpg

Another beautiful and visually understated extension to the existing Toronto style Modernist context of this neighbourhood. Stewart Street is becoming a real gem - with 75 Portland as an auspicious view terminus, eventually.

And it would have worked a lot better had the formerly proto-Toronto-style frontdrop of the Executive Motor Inn escaped rape by EIFS...

It is a little 'EIF-Y'...

Any chance for redevelopment in the next cycle? Stinson's next 200 story project? More Wild speculation? Who knows!

Yes, the Travelodge was undoubtedly raped and now it lives with its EIFS shame. I try and smile and show signs of encouragement whenever I am in the area, but all it sadly reports is Free Internet and Continental Breakfast. Alas, its soles has been taken. <--WTF?

p5

For some reason all I can see in those pictures are the streetcar wires. I know it's off topic, but wouldn't it be great if they all just disappeared. Sigh.

For some reason all I can see in those pictures are the streetcar wires. I know it's off topic, but wouldn't it be great if they all just disappeared. Sigh.

no

Well only if they were replaced with a subway line :) (oh, and without the 10+ years of planning, digging, and construction. Is that too much to ask?)

YES! Way too much ugly clutter on the streets of Toronto. I hate those decrepit poles and over-head wires.
They ruin just about every picture.

Yes, the Travelodge was undoubtedly raped and now it lives with its EIFS shame. I try and smile and show signs of encouragement whenever I am in the area, but all it sadly reports is Free Internet and Continental Breakfast. Alas, its soles has been taken. <--WTF?

p5

The Travelodge undoubtedly sucks and should be redeveloped, but I admit a part of me would miss it slightly as I had quite the romp there on my last birthday.

Forming a gruesome bookend with Travelodge, there's a horrid faux Georgian block of rowhouses, south of Victoria Memorial park.

But again, Travelodge wouldn't be so horrid or gruesome if its owners took the time to restore it. And hey; even as it is, it's the most Mayor Quimby-ish thing on this stretch of King (well, that and For Your Eyes Only).

Oh, to get on-topic: it's a wonder nobody's really drawn attention to that skeletal structure emerging on Bathurst which, I presume, is the armature upon which the resurrected Int's Harvester/Crangle's will be hung...

Back