Toronto 55 Mercer | 155.5m | 47s | CentreCourt | Arcadis

PJ and Picasso are better for me personally. But I do really like this one.

PJ is/was on the verge of being so good; but then they completely muffed it at grade.

Picasso is fine as a tower, I really dislike the podium though.

PJ is/was on the verge of being so good; but then they completely muffed it at grade.

Picasso is fine as a tower, I really dislike the podium though.
The closed-in balconies are very weird, but I'm willing to give almost anything with multi-storey retail a few extra points. I do like how the escalator is expressed on the exterior as well.

The closed-in balconies are very weird, but I'm willing to give almost anything with multi-storey retail a few extra points. I do like how the escalator is expressed on the exterior as well.

I don't want to get this thread too off-track, but just to share w/everyone what's being discussed above, is Picasso:

1692037563824.png

I really dislike the material expression here. I sorta get PE's thing for multi-storey retail, it's not that I dislike that, though I don't generally like it this way. I'm not a mall person, and prefer an expression where each store has its own at-grade presence, then as required, one or two can have internal connections to a second/third floor.

Not sure I get PE's appreciation of the spandrel-like/opaque glass treatment of the escalator on the outside, but to each of us, our own!

Taken today, Oct. 14

A very handsome building - the new podium portion fits well with the heritage without attempting to mimic of duplicate it.

View attachment 513087View attachment 513088

There is actually no heritage building/facade on this site. The podium is all new, which makes it even more impressive.

Unless you meant it matched well with Bisha/Nobu’s podium.

There is actually no heritage building/facade on this site. The podium is all new, which makes it even more impressive.

Unless you meant it matched well with Bisha/Nobu’s podium.
Oh, for some reason, I was thinking the part on Blue Jays Way was heritage - but you are correct, they are both new!

Yes, the work on these podium buildings is impressive!

Back