Toronto 5207 Dundas West | 98.5m | 30s | Tricon | Henriquez Partners

Some shots from Wednesday. It was a rare weekday flight for me but I had to take the car in for service just south of Kipling station. It was windy with some very strong gusts and ordinarily I wouldn't have flown. In this case, I was really close to the site since I was on foot so I launched anyway. I could hear some chatter on a nearby radio but didn't pay any attention to it since I needed to concentrate on the flight.

I wasn't in the air very long when a construction worker came up to me. I told him to wait until I landed before engaging in conversation. He politely waited which I appreciated.

Once I landed he asked if i was from Ellis Don and I told him no. He said he "Had to check" If could fly there. I told him that I was in a public space (other side of the street) and absolutely could fly there. He was adamant he still "had to check with his management." I further told him, "I'm telling you, it is well within my right; there is nothing to check." During this exchange for some reason I got the impression that this was coming from Corporate somehow.

Not quite finished, he said "Well, don't my guys have to consent to have their picture taken?" I replied that photographs taken from 60 metres in altitude, they are not identifiable, so no."

I know Ellis Don is going to see this and this message is for them:
1. I'm not going to stop legally flying and photographing your construction projects.
2. You can't make me stop.
3. Please instruct all site managers to Stop harassing photographers legally shooting key infrastructure projects from public spaces!

I encourage all UT Photographers to shoot this project, and other Ellis Don projects under construction as much as possible.

Enjoy the photos!
View attachment 562963
View attachment 562964
View attachment 562965
View attachment 562966

@Tim MacDonald thank you very much for taking your time to give such amazing views of construction projects with your drone. And I wish you luck with fighting these silly companies trying to force made up laws on you. And please enlighten us as well of these slights so that we are also better informed!

With regards to the progress, it looks like they're well on the way down.

I believe the point about consenting to photos is even more moot because that isn't a thing in public spaces. i.e. no reasonable expectation of privacy in public.

...yeah, there's always an occasion where construction personal feel the need to police outside their jurisdiction with dodgy claims and legalese. Thankfully, in the history of UT they seem to be very few and far in between. So please don't let this discourage anyone here from taking those pics!

Sunday Morning photos...

DSC00376.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

Photo 2024-05-12, 11 07 10 AM.jpg

Photo 2024-05-12, 11 19 05 AM.jpg

Photo 2024-05-12, 11 20 08 AM.jpg

Photo 2024-05-12, 11 21 01 AM.jpg

Photo 2024-05-12, 11 22 29 AM.jpg

This residential project will have 50,000 square feet of retail space available.

When I was attending the planning meetings for the six points redevelopment, the city planners stated that they would like to have 1 or 2 grocery stores be part of this future community.

They specifically stated that they would like one of those grocery stores situated at the 5207 Dundas Street West site.

Quoted from the Toronto Star who covered this new store concept with limited space,

By Rosa Saba The Canadian Press

Loblaw is testing smaller-format discount stores across the country this year as shoppers increasingly look for ways to save on their grocery bill.
The company has a handful of smaller discount stores already, but plans to “lean in” to the strategy as a way of reaching more customers, said Melanie Singh, who leads Loblaw’s discount division that includes No Frills and Maxi.
“We’re able to offer an entire shop within the space of 10,000 square feet in a pocket of downtown Toronto that we don’t have a hard discount presence in,” she said in an interview at the grand opening of the first store in the rollout. “So we’re super proud of that.”

That store opened on Thursday, one of several slated to open between now and Thanksgiving, said Singh. It’s about one-third of the size of the average No Frills store.
The location used to be a City Market, another banner owned by Loblaw. Four weeks ago, the company closed it down, said Singh, converting it to the No Frills store, which is owned by a franchisee who lives in the area.
These smaller stores will cater to the local neighbourhood, Singh said. For example, this store at the corner of King and Shaw Sts. in Liberty Village has grab-and-go options like fresh-baked pastries, which many discount stores don’t have.

Singh said that’s because the company kept many of the products that were popular in the former City Market, like rotisserie chicken.
“We heard from the neighbourhood that ready-made food was super important. Especially for lunch, especially for the end of the day, for the transient traffic that comes in the afternoon,” she said. “So we kept those programs.”

I think this would be a perfect fit for this project site. Especially since its only 10,000 square feet.

Thoughts on this idea?

Last edited:
This residential project will have 50,000 square feet of retail space available.

When I was attending the planning meetings for the six points redevelopment, the city planners stated that they would like to have 1 or 2 grocery stores be part of this future community.

They specifically stated that they would like one of those grocery stores situated at the 5207 Dundas Street West site.

Quoted from the Toronto Star who covered this new store concept with limited space,

By Rosa Saba The Canadian Press

Loblaw is testing smaller-format discount stores across the country this year as shoppers increasingly look for ways to save on their grocery bill.
The company has a handful of smaller discount stores already, but plans to “lean in” to the strategy as a way of reaching more customers, said Melanie Singh, who leads Loblaw’s discount division that includes No Frills and Maxi.
“We’re able to offer an entire shop within the space of 10,000 square feet in a pocket of downtown Toronto that we don’t have a hard discount presence in,” she said in an interview at the grand opening of the first store in the rollout. “So we’re super proud of that.”

That store opened on Thursday, one of several slated to open between now and Thanksgiving, said Singh. It’s about one-third of the size of the average No Frills store.
The location used to be a City Market, another banner owned by Loblaw. Four weeks ago, the company closed it down, said Singh, converting it to the No Frills store, which is owned by a franchisee who lives in the area.
These smaller stores will cater to the local neighbourhood, Singh said. For example, this store at the corner of King and Shaw Sts. in Liberty Village has grab-and-go options like fresh-baked pastries, which many discount stores don’t have.

Singh said that’s because the company kept many of the products that were popular in the former City Market, like rotisserie chicken.
“We heard from the neighbourhood that ready-made food was super important. Especially for lunch, especially for the end of the day, for the transient traffic that comes in the afternoon,” she said. “So we kept those programs.”

I think this would be a perfect fit for this project site. Especially since its only 10,000 square feet.

Thoughts on this idea?

Despite Loblaws being the spawn of all evil...having one of these in the area would be largely beneficial.

Back