Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Would have been nice to have a super tall but at this location, she better be a looker!!

Oh it still might be a supertall, it'll just need a glorified pole(aka; a spire) to get there. The mechanical height doesn't include additional height from those structures.

I'm surprised. With a high end fashion store in the podium, with, I presumed, elegantly high ceilings, I thought it would be taller. I also thought they would market it as the tallest building in Canada. Maybe they will still market it as the tallest residential building in Canada.

Oh well, I've been wrong before, according to my wife in particular, and I expect to be wrong again.

Oh it still might be a supertall, it'll just need a glorified pole(aka; a spire) to get there. The mechanical height doesn't include additional height from those structures.

This is true -- mechanical height does not include architectural elements such as spires. Hopefully the planning application sign is posted soon with the elevations. I would love to see how this one looks.

I know I asked this before, but why is Oxford mentioned as the developer? The site is being developed by Morguard.

Oxford does not own this lands.

I know I asked this before, but why is Oxford mentioned as the developer? The site is being developed by Morguard.

Oxford does not own this lands.

That is probably my fault. I had read on another site some time ago, I cannot recall where, that Oxford was to be the developer, and when the question was asked here who the developer was, I passed on the information I had read. (looks for original post I had read -- cannot locate it, it's no doubt buried many pages back by now, wherever it is)

That is probably my fault. I had read on another site some time ago, I cannot recall where, that Oxford was to be the developer, and when the question was asked here who the developer was, I passed on the information I had read. (looks for original post I had read -- cannot locate it, it's no doubt buried many pages back by now, wherever it is)

I know everyone jizzes their pants over height but those mock-ups look ludicrous. Sorry guys...

I know everyone jizzes their pants over height but those mock-ups look ludicrous. Sorry guys...

I am sure that somebody is putting together a plain-vanilla 277m box at the 50 Bloor West location on sketchup right now.

I meant the height in general.
Sorry team... Sometimes I think Toronto goes for heigh for the sake of heights sake.

50 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27
- Tor & E.York OPA / Rezoning 12 141351 STE 27 OZ Mar 22, 2012 18,835 600 83 Application Submitted Mar 22, 2012
An application to amend the zoning by-law to permit an 83-storey mixed-use building (277 metres tall including mechanical penthouse) with: an 8 storey commercial/office podium (41,080 square metres of non-residential gross floor area); a tower with 600 residential units; and 620 below-grade vehicular parking spaces.

Very exciting proposal - too bad it's approximately 91 feet short of 1,000 feet though. It would probably be wishing for too much for them to add another 9 floors.

I'll just go sob in my corner...

Edit: Here's a 277m Toronto box. Still tall but I'm left feeling somewhat underwhelmed. Let's hope for something pretty.

7040740573_3880433db9_z.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I liked 'em....and I guess 277m isn't so bad....:)

Thanks! I only spent about an hour putting it together, but I really wanted to explore the potential size. If it's a 277m tower with a NICE spire, i.e. not a Trump stick it on as an afterthought spire, then we may have supertall gold.

Everybody relax. This building could be amazing.

I'd rather see an 83 storey office tower there at 300m+. Condo towers are starting to get boring on the skyline, especially when they copy the latest fad, i.e., curvy balconies, which will look 'dated' in a couple of years. If building tall condo towers and wanting to make an impact on the skyline, why not go for totally wide, i.e. one solid block wide, i.e., huge monolith soaring 83 storeys ... or conversely, super-skinny hypodermic needle type tower, soaring 83 storeys, and at night, neat LED light show showing 'squirts', only 3 units per floor type skinny, and we're talking studio and junior one-bedroom type floor plate, so super anorexic skinny needle, with entrepreneurial 'madames' buying up the majority of the units to create some now-legal brothels. No ?

Back