Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

It's gross that in this day and age a condominium would be built to facilitate the use of 600+ more cars in the downtown core, especially considering how absurdly walkable and close to public transit this location is.

It's gross that in this day and age a condominium would be built to facilitate the use of 600+ more cars in the downtown core, especially considering how absurdly walkable and close to public transit this location is.

I couldn’t say it better myself. That’s because Toronto is a city of all talk. New Urbanism and transit-oriented-design, that’s all smoke and mirror in this city,. Just look at Liberty Village, meant to promote public transit and walking yet they build an underground parking garage beneath the townhome. hmm.

It's a safe bet that this will be a higher end building that will attract some wealthy downsizers plus it's Yorkville, so the parking ratio shouldn't be surprising.

Thanks for writing this. At the second I heard about this development, the first thing that I thought was "I wonder how large an underground lot they'll build". The infusion of 600 parking spaces is not good, not good at all, and as you say, so regressive, especially in this location.

Folks can get excited about a supertall, and I guess that's okay (please pardon my apathy) - I won't necessarily follow along if the development has negatives.

My original reaction to hearing about the height:
Okay_guy.jpg

What a wasted opportunity...

Oh well, it's still huge and seeing what its location is and the architect I'm hoping the design will at least make up for the lack of balls height wise.

Street level is going to be a modern, luxury department store. I don't think you need to worry about whether it will be a positive addition to the pedestrian experience.

There's a lot more to street level experience than windows full of stuff I can't buy. :)

I agree, but the wealthy 1% who live in Bloor-Yorkville don't use public transit. That would make them look middle or lower class.

Apart from making them LOOK middle class, riding transit means actually having to deal with the pushy hoi polloi, abusive TTC workers, offensive body odours, claustrophobic spaces, surfaces that have been touched by hands that have touched money etc. Rich people don't like having to deal with that stuff, regardless of how they might look doing it.

I couldn’t say it better myself. That’s because Toronto is a city of all talk. New Urbanism and transit-oriented-design, that’s all smoke and mirror in this city,. Just look at Liberty Village, meant to promote public transit and walking yet they build an underground parking garage beneath the townhome. hmm.

You can't have a "transit city" unless you build some transit. Get on the politicians to get some subways built. Until you have the necessary transit, cars are still a necessity.

Apart from making them LOOK middle class, riding transit means actually having to deal with the pushy hoi polloi, abusive TTC workers, offensive body odours, claustrophobic spaces, surfaces that have been touched by hands that have touched money etc. Rich people don't like having to deal with that stuff, regardless of how they might look doing it.

Sorry, but this is stereotyping. I know a number of Rosedale people, who could definitely afford to live in a condo on Bloor, who frequently use the TTC.

The kind of people who will either own or rent in this building will more than likely have very good jobs. They can afford cars and perhaps even need them for work. I take public transit and it is unpleasant to say the least. Don't expect someone who has a lot of money to put up with the TTC if they don't have to. Yes - it is a walkable area - but not everything in the city is located within walking distance of Bloor and Yonge. People can't take their money with them when they finally cash-in their chips - so let them enjoy it whilst they can - even if it means they buy a car they don't really need. It's good for the economy.

Back