Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Why for heaven's sake?

Some committees think they address their responsibilities by cutting 15% off the height of a building. There is ZERO reason to cap hight here.

Looking through the plans and renderings for the podium, as well as the tower... it's very NYC.

That was never for this site, that rumour was for 2 Bloor West. The architect for this project, I think, is Pellow.

Oops, my bad. I do hope that this building will undergo some tweaks and fix up some of the issues people are talking about in the thread.

Man this area is changing dramatically - very good to see this happening at such a key intersection.

Holt%20Renfrew%20elevations.jpg

Just a few years ago

Holt%20Renfrew%20elevations%20old.jpg

Last edited:
Capitalism provides an excuse not to deliver the appropriate level of architectural sophistication for these high-profile projects.

I'm not so sure it's as axiomatic as that. Capitalism provides for what's profitable. In certain contexts I can see where cutting-edge and/or sophisticated design is what will command greater profit, and substantially so. This may just not be what sells in the Toronto market, which isn't quite as 'cutting-edge and sophisticated' as other markets (objectively speaking).

awesome elevations ^ . so cool to see accurately/to scale/exactly how they appear in real life renders.. (aside from the old One bloor of course)

this PDF file is pissing me off... it slows down/stops downloading halfway in between. 44 mb isn't much, heck in youtube vids are that size, but for some reason it's so slow...

still waiting....

Whammo: no need to play with that huge pdf now. We've extracted images from it, including lots of detail shots, and put them up in the dataBase. Check it out here!

Interesting that despite everything we've seen built or announced, nothing has rivalled 1CP in height or especially size in the last 30+ years. What a beast!

Back