Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Agreed, basic design, better materials. Doesn't, mean there. Is latitude for every lazy architect to steal some other first year design school project. . The same boring borrowed structures. Wow, we're all impressed.

It's not a particularly creative design, but nonetheless I think it's quite handsome. I would look great in Yorkville.

Agree. If people are looking for something groundbreaking they're setting themselves up for frustration/disappointment. It would be nice to get a building with a wow factor, but it's a pointless exercise to complain every time the next big project fails to produce one. 50 Bloor looks good and would be a great addition to Yorkville.

I think we've come to learn not to set ourselves up for disappointment, at this point most high profile projects are just wishful-thinking-out-loud.

Agree. If people are looking for something groundbreaking they're setting themselves up for frustration/disappointment. It would be nice to get a building with a wow factor, but it's a pointless exercise to complain every time the next big project fails to produce one. 50 Bloor looks good and would be a great addition to Yorkville.

Capitalism provides an excuse not to deliver the appropriate level of architectural sophistication for these high-profile projects. Everyone just rehashes the excuses of greed for the developers. People are already paying massive rates per square foot to live in Yorkville and at other prominent downtown locations; they are willing to pay and should get the best architecture. Robert Stern's One St. Thomas was the best of the conservative historicist Postmodern style, a highly successful project that remains one of the most desirable condos precisely for its architecture. The government may have to intervene so that we get the desired result by strengthening its design review mechanisms. 50 Bloor does not look good. It's similar to Aura, and it's quite bland.

Capitalism provides an excuse not to deliver the appropriate level of architectural sophistication for these high-profile projects. Everyone just rehashes the excuses of greed for the developers. People are already paying massive rates per square foot to live in Yorkville and at other prominent downtown locations; they are willing to pay and should get the best architecture. Robert Stern's One St. Thomas was the best of the conservative historicist Postmodern style, a highly successful project that remains one of the most desirable condos precisely for its architecture. The government may have to intervene so that we get the desired result by strengthening its design review mechanisms. 50 Bloor does not look good. It's similar to Aura, and it's quite bland.

Funny because on the Aura site they are saying it (Aura) is too busy which I think is the opposite of bland.

75-85 story buildings are something different, they need to be of a superior standard.

Funny because on the Aura site they are saying it (Aura) is too busy which I think is the opposite of bland.

The similarity to Aura is in the shape and overall form of the building from the bottom to the top, but it looks bland without Aura's busy cladding and collection of forms joined together on the lower floors.

Back