Toronto 365 Church Condos | 102.1m | 31s | Menkes | Wallman Architects

Another cafe/restaurant is preparing to open in the old 'sandwiches' space on the corner. As per Adroiduk, that building, along with Bulldog, will be spared.

Another cafe/restaurant is preparing to open in the old 'sandwiches' space on the corner. As per Adroiduk, that building, along with Bulldog, will be spared.

The shop owners appear to be stripping away the garish circus signage, and are probably trying to mimic the chill urban sophisticate look of Bulldog. Im glad this fingernail of an old building will survive - you just can't replace the atmosphere of old buildings, and their use as a latte dispensary & restaurant takes full advantage of this character.

The shop owners appear to be stripping away the garish circus signage, and are probably trying to mimic the chill urban sophisticate look of Bulldog. Im glad this fingernail of an old building will survive - you just can't replace the atmosphere of old buildings, and their use as a latte dispensary & restaurant takes full advantage of this character.

Definitely--streetscapes of old buildings give cities a more interesting atmosphere. Historic low-rise streetscapes right in the city centre can be the most pleasurable places to spend time in.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right about that junctionist. Look at this strip of Queen west of Brock. Totally untouched and extremely pleasing to look at and walk through.

timsparkdale.jpg

The building is in pretty sad shape but I always ask myself, when will this stop and what incentive is there to keep these buildings in good shape when they can get torn down so easily because they are so poorly maintained and sit on prime property.

looks like the demo permit for this was issued back in November. doesnt this have to get council approval because of the rental units above? i dont recall any objections to this? aside from the first flooor, if u sandblasted the brick and restored the shutters, it would look pretty nice. I am surpised KWT didnt have an issue.

Weird how we've heard nothing new on this project. I totally forgot about it! I want a mini-Lumiere here!

Hi. Does anyone know if there have been any imposed changes to this development ? I went to go search for it, and found this link ... which indicates an appeal has been scheduled to be heard at the OMB. Also, there's reference to 25 storeys, not the 30 storeys proposed, so how come there's an apparent discrepancy in what's been proposed for that site vs. what's stated in the following link ? Anyway, many thanks.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=2778369

I would assume the city wants to chop it down from the proposed 27s+3s to 25s

I wonder what's being appealed ... they want their 30 storeys back, or maybe even more considering what's been approved elsewhere since they applied to develop that parcel of land, or they've agreed to 25 storeys but want something else changed. I'm kind of surprised that the city might've chopped it down but consider 50 storeys just a block to the east of this site.

This project appears to be getting held back. In this interview, Jared Menkes mentions that the company's upcoming developments are Noir and the massive Harbour Street project but nothing about this. I really want to see this lot built up as it should be a catalyst for future projects to fill in the barren streetscape of this lame stretch of Church Street. However, if they don't launch this project soon, it might be too late to catch the wave on this current boom.

I wonder what's being appealed ... they want their 30 storeys back, or maybe even more considering what's been approved elsewhere since they applied to develop that parcel of land, or they've agreed to 25 storeys but want something else changed. I'm kind of surprised that the city might've chopped it down but consider 50 storeys just a block to the east of this site.

when the city drags its feet (ie: doesn't issue a final report within the nine-month allotment) developers appeal to the board in an effort to kick staff in the butt, so to speak. more often times than not a settlement is reached before any hearing. i ahve no inside knowledge on what menkes is doing but i would assume that this is the case given that they applied way back in 2010 and we're now getting on into 2012.

I think Menkes appealed directly to the OMB with 25 storeys instead of the 30. I don't even think the city would agree to the 25 storeys considering the building just does not ease away from any of the streets impacted, Church, McGill and Granby, i.e., there's no podium to speak of. This might one of the few condo developments that just doesn't get built. Menkes should consider selling the land to Ryerson to build some of their student residences.

I think Menkes appealed directly to the OMB with 25 storeys instead of the 30. I don't even think the city would agree to the 25 storeys considering the building just does not ease away from any of the streets impacted, Church, McGill and Granby, i.e., there's no podium to speak of. This might one of the few condo developments that just doesn't get built. Menkes should consider selling the land to Ryerson to build some of their student residences.

there is no way this doesn't get approved. the site envelope is huge for an urban project at almost 18,000 sf. also - the tower floor plate is nearly 9,000 sf (as opposed to the recommended 8,000 sf) so there's plenty of room to trim it up in order to create more space off of the affected streets (ie: church and granby).

bottom line is that this is getting resolved - Wanderlust you're off base in suggesting that it won't.

You're absolutely right about that junctionist. Look at this strip of Queen west of Brock. Totally untouched and extremely pleasing to look at and walk through.

timsparkdale.jpg

We have so many wonderful walkable stretches like this in Toronto which we must save at all costs, and this supports why I argue so strongly about Yonge north of College staying low/mid-rise. It's unfortunate that the buildings on Yonge Street aren't maintained as well as this example.

there is no way this doesn't get approved. the site envelope is huge for an urban project at almost 18,000 sf. also - the tower floor plate is nearly 9,000 sf (as opposed to the recommended 8,000 sf) so there's plenty of room to trim it up in order to create more space off of the affected streets (ie: church and granby).

bottom line is that this is getting resolved - Wanderlust you're off base in suggesting that it won't.

I'm willing to bet quite a big chunk o change that this isn't going to get built as per original proposed application, nor the modified reduced height submission to the OMB. It will get developed eventually, but not as '365 Church' that's for sure. Rule of thumb ... if there's a street with houses on it, don't propose blocking one end of that street with a 'tall building'.

Back