Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

IF anyone thinks that that clip is bad, just look at the others!

(You ain't seen nothin' yet.)

Regards,
J T

So many conspiracy theories in this thread. There are better forums to discuss that. Every time I think there might be an update on the rubble, I see someone else claim that someone burned down the building. As for the tax break, there's no way tax payers will support it. I know I won't. Why should rich entrepreneurs who own valuable property be allowed to pay less taxes than the average citizen? Ultimately, these are private buildings you're talking about. you can't force people to make certain business decisions in order to fit in your ideals.

Well, a few things: First, someone DID burn it down, and he's going to jail for it. Whether there's any kind of connection to the Lalanis is open for debate, but the fact is that the fact that the building was damaged and partially vacant (because of the damage) at the time it burned likely made it easier for the arsonist to access.

You say as a taxpayer you would not support tax breaks for those who restore heritage buildings, and then generalize it to all taxpayers. You're wrong there. There are definitely taxpayers who think heritage is something worth supporting. I'm one of them. A tax break does not force anyone to make a business decision--but it does make the preservation of heritage a viable option.

While I certainly believe private owners have certain rights, I also believe that a city that cares about its heritage is also a better place to live for everyone. There is a balance that can be achieved, and we've seen that balance in such projects as the restoration of the Dineen building or the repurposing of the Distillery district (which is now a destination for tourists).

And let's also remember: the weakness of the whole existing "listing vs designation" structure has only really come to discussion-material/newspaper-headline light in fairly recent times, in large part as a consequence of disasters like this. And you can't blame megaamalgamation, Harris, Ford, etc either--the systemic structural entropy predated any of that.

In the case of Reynolds, the listing happened in the mid-70s--and at the time, it was deemed "enough for now". There was no *huge* pressure to elevate the listing to designation at the time, or even to flesh out the listing so that it became a well-and-thoroughly-enough-researched "predicate to designation" (that practice only set in at City Hall in later years)--thus what you had with many early listings were the of the most rudimentary kind; that is, literally, names-on-lists with tokenly-researched dates and attributions. And there was little incentive to flesh out these 70s-style listings later unless designation was in the works or (as here) in case of eleventh-hour "dire emergency". And an added twist in Reynolds' case is that at the time it was listed, it was already "restored", or in the process of being--albeit in 70s-style "sandblast chic", perhaps aping the success of the Masonic Building further up Yonge (which may have, sad to say, inadvertently accelerated the structure's decay--I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised). Thus, it endured another third of a century under the misassumption that it had already been "rescued"--with little consideration that rescues can't sustain themselves on spit alone..

I'm confused. What does that video have to do with this project? Am I missing some link?

Thanks

IF anyone thinks that that clip is bad, just look at the others!

(You ain't seen nothin' yet.)

Regards,
J T

CBRE has issued a flyer on the Yonge & Gould property revealing more preliminary information on this future development.

http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontonorth/AssetLibrary/Yonge_Gould_flyer.pdf

Info via TheTorontoBlog's article: http://thetorontoblog.com/2012/12/2...e-works-for-se-corner-of-yonge-gould-streets/

CBRE Toronto North is pleased to present the development of 335 Yonge Street, to be located at the southeast corner of Yonge Street and Gould Street at a main gateway to Ryerson University. This Flagship Retail Opportunity is located one half block north of Canada’s Premier Intersection Yonge Street & Dundas Street.

335 Yonge Street will contain up to 5 levels of premium retail and restaurant space offering incredibly high exposure to the most famous block in Canada.
Just to the south is the Toronto Eaton Centre (routinely one of the top three performing malls in Canada performing at a reported $1,280 psf) attracting over 52 million visitors per year. The renown Yonge/Dundas Square gathering venue is located due south and Ryerson University with its educational notoriety and 30,000+ students, is immediately east of this site. The demographics including day time, evening and weekend statistics are unparalleled in Canada.

There are up to 5 levels of retail programmed with floor plates currently at about 13,000 SF each. Discussions are currently underway to determine if the project will include four storeys of retail only, four storeys of retail with up to ten mixed use floors above or as much as four levels of retail with up to 30 floors of residential condominium units above.

Timing for the project is estimated to be 2016 or earlier.

Rental Rates are to be determined.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roxxstarr/8308828859/

Last edited:
Can't say much about the tower, but the retail portion looks great! 5s will do wonders to the area. Much better than the shady 1s garbage further North on Yonge.

That render makes it look like HMV is part of this development. I'm also hoping they're looking for ways to make the block a bit more permeable, possibly with connections under/above ground to neighbouring buildings, through the subway concourse, etc. This is one stretch where I'm less concerned about killing the life on the street than I am about things being designed in a way that they can handle the pedestrian loads through the area. It's already pretty congested to walk through, and it's only going to get busier as more developments fill in.

…is located due south and Ryerson University with its educational notoriety…

Hehhehheh. Not often that word is used in a positive sense… and therefore, read it as you will.

That render makes it look like HMV is part of this development.

I really like HMV but I'm surprised they've held on this long. It will be interesting to see what happens with 'brick & mortar' retail over the next few years given the enormous success and rising sales with online retailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking render looks very appropriate for this site!

^ It's actually just a place holder image to show development potential, not a real rendering.

I really hope they make an effort to hire proper architects to design an attractive shopping centre. Yonge Street has been plagued by really awful retail design this past decade with Metropolis being a complete dud. The basement level of Aura, along with the BB&B store have been unpromising so far. Toronto can really learn a lesson from Hong Kong about beautiful urban shopping mall designs. Check out Langham Place, APM Mall, iSquare, Hysan Place, just to name a few.

That render makes it look like HMV is part of this development. I'm also hoping they're looking for ways to make the block a bit more permeable, possibly with connections under/above ground to neighbouring buildings, through the subway concourse, etc. This is one stretch where I'm less concerned about killing the life on the street than I am about things being designed in a way that they can handle the pedestrian loads through the area. It's already pretty congested to walk through, and it's only going to get busier as more developments fill in.

HMV is part of the redevelopment. Both sites combined will create about 15,000 SF of land to build this project on.

Good to hear that HMV is part of this. Bau, Is it all under the same ownership now do you know?

Back