Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

Its just a placeholder 2 story or so retail building (and with an emphasis on the rendering not being final).

It's not the Tetris Hotel is it?

512129.jpg

Didn't think so.:)

Compare to how it looked in the '60s:

scaled.php
via twitter user @Shelaay

Last edited:
Thanks androiduk.

It looks very preliminary, especially the tower. All very pre-planning application, pre-Design Review Panel, pre-everything.

Agreed. To me, the tower in the render looks like a generic placeholder image, to be used in initial marketing of the podium before the massing and design of the real tower has been set. I think that right now, they want to find out the level of interest there is in commercial podium space at this intersection, which would help determine the podium massing.

I have to think that a tower at this location would sell like hotcakes -- assuming that the City allows it.

"news from today about the guy who set the place on fire."
QUOTE khristopher.

From the above link provided above:

"A forensic neuroscientist testified he has the mind of a child and a personality disorder that includes pyromania.

He is violent, addicted to drugs and enjoyed seeing people suffer, court heard. When he admitted to setting fire at the Empress Hotel, he was already on probation for arson."

(The) idiots are running the asylum!

Regards,
J T

"A forensic neuroscientist testified he has the mind of a child and a personality disorder that includes pyromania.

He is violent, addicted to drugs and enjoyed seeing people suffer, court heard. When he admitted to setting fire at the Empress Hotel, he was already on probation for arson."

So evidently the authorities felt there was no chance that he would resume burning down buildings.

On the other hand, it is sounding more likely that the Lalani Group had nothing directly to do with this act of arson (although they are likely still guilty of "demolition by neglect").

"more likely that the Lalani Group had nothing directly to do with this act of arson "
QUOTE: Mongo.

"Good things" come to those that wait.

Regards,
J T

That's what kills me, the Lalani Group will make out very handsomely for not repairing that fallen wall and then not protecting the building from homeless folks and an arsonist. They make out like bandits and the city loses a historic structure at one of the most high profile areas in the city.
In the end this is a great location for a highrise and retail space but some serious work and thought needs to be put into the design.

Arson or no arson, the Lalani Group sat on that building until it literally fell apart. Short of forcing them to rebuild it brick by brick, I think justice demands the city should expropriate the site from their feckless hands without recompense, and sell it to someone else.

The City of Toronto had the right & means to force the owner to uphold building standards; they did not.

The City of Toronto had the right & means to force the owner to uphold engineering standards before construction of the new aluminium facing; they did not.

The City of Toronto had the right & means to force the owner to uphold construction & safety standards re the above; they did not.

The City of Toronto had the right & means to force the owner to uphold safety standards after the incident; they did not.

The City of Toronto has the right & means to expropriate private property for public works; they did not.

BUT

The City of Toronto has no right & hopefully no means to steal private property because, in this case, they screwed-up.

Regards,
J T

The City of Toronto had the right & means to force the owner to uphold building standards; they did not.

The City of Toronto has no right & hopefully no means to steal private property because, in this case, they screwed-up.

Regards,
J T

These series of events are too convenient for the developer... However, there is no evidence linking them to the arson. Is the developer negligent due to the deteriorated condition of the property?

I wonder if it would be possible to implement a tax rebate program or some other mechanism to ensure that existing heritage properties are well maintained and kept in productive use.

-edit

At least robust code enforcement with substantial fines for noncompliance so something like this never happens again.

Last edited:

Back