Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

KensingtonMarketBoy--

This one's pretty clear about the suspicions raised by the fire (and I say this as no huge fan of the Post): http://www.nationalpost.com/Fire+Burning+Questions/4054814/story.html

And this editorial is pretty clear about what The Star thinks happened: http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...eritage-buildings-demolition-by-sheer-neglect

None of them out and out accuse the owners of arson or a purpose-set fire, but that's likely because they're avoiding legal implications of doing so.

I also saw coverage on one of the Toronto stations yesterday where Kyle Rae was interviewed; he had apparently helped secure two historical preservation grants for the building (and had letters to prove it) but the cheques were never picked up.

On a related note--did anyone catch the statements from the owner of Barberian's Steakhouse about how the structure should have been torn down a long time ago because it was "a flophouse"? (He also thought it was called "Ford's Hotel.")

I knew this would happen even when the ol' girl was still smoldering. No mainstream media outlet has picked up the story about how suspicious this fire was, how Lalani wanted it torn down from Day 1 and alot of the other questions this thread has brought up.

Even the comments section is strangely shut off at CP24...

CityTV, The Toronto Sun and The Star have reported or commented that the fire is suspicious or suggested arson, perhaps others.

Do you know if they're making any effort to save the facade?

The facades cannot be saved.

With ironman Ford at the helm I'm confident that he will come down hard on Lalani for deliberately neglecting Toronto's already diminished architectural heritage.

Much of the mortar is as loose as sand from the heat which is why they have to get it down to safely complete the investigation.

The most interesting part is already gone: the tower. Façadism wouldn't make sense here and would be a constant reminder of the neglect this building went through. Clear the site so Yonge can begin to heal.

Walnut Hall and now this one. Puts one in mind of a rather sick game that involves bets on which old celebrity will kick the bucket next...

For this to be considered a crime scene, there has have to be potential of arson found.

This of course leads one to the obvious "conclusion" that it was somebody in the Lalani group but there's a less obvious motive for arson. The site around this building -- including lanes of Yonge St -- has been closed for nearly a year, creating headaches for businesses on that stretch of Yonge. I can see another business wanting this building taken down.

I just walked over to grab some shots but they have Yonge Street closed again to pedestrians from Elm Street down to Dundas, likely until at least the walls are taken down. Demolition is underway but they're doing it slowly, presumably to carefully remove dangerous areas so that investigators can access other areas of the building. Unfortunately I couldn't get any clear shots of the building because the street is blocked with large forensic trucks, police crime vans and such plus the fence in front of the former Sam's site also blocks clear views of 335 Yonge.

Is it normal to have police forensics on site for an arson investigation? I thought that would be handled by the fire marshals office. Unless they found a body amidst the rubble.

gouldfirea.jpg

I thought the upcoming meeting was to decide if the building would be listed as heritage. I didn't know it already was, as everyone keeps saying. Was it officially listed or not?

Back