Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

Rather remenicent(SP?) of the demise of WALNUT HALL, albeit to different forces.

Demolition by neglect.

Regards,
J T

What a shame. And very very ...VERY suspicious. There should be an immediate investigation.

Toronto should look to Montreal for its heritage legislations, heritage conservations groups etc. Montreal endured Jean Drapeau who never saw a row of greystones that couldn't approved as a parking lot, which sparked a heritage movement that endures today.

Because a strong gust of wind would take out the facade as its standing right now. It's way too unstable for any kind of shoring or bracing to be applied to it (at least in any safe manner). It's going to have to come down
Are you an architect, or work in that area of construction? How do you know it's way too unstable?

Apple won't move out of the Eaton Centre location, and another store here would be too close. My guess/hope/fantasy is that we'll see a flagship Apple store at One Bloor.
Do you work for Apple? How do you know what they would do?

According to CP24, they haven't been able to go inside and investigate. They don't even know if anyone could have been in there during the fire and died, because they need a permit to enter. WTF? The fire department needs a permit to enter a building that was destroyed in a fire in the city they work for? So weird! What kind of stupid laws do we have in this city? Let's change this crap.

Do you work for Apple? How do you know what they would do?

I don't work for Apple, but I do know that they just renovated the Eaton Centre store, and that there has long been talk of a flagship store at One Bloor (as far back as when Bazis was developing that location). I was, of course, just expressing an opinion, but one that's reasonably informed.

Does anybody know who the owner is?

Lalani group ...... it's been posted throughout his forum.

according to the web, there's a lalani group that's a builder/developer:

Welcome to the Lalani Group website

The Lalani Group is a Mumbai-based Construction House of immense repute. Established in 1985, it is today a highly diversified Group and one of the leading names in the industry, leveraging over two decades of in-depth customer understanding and experience, to constantly build not just quality Homes, Offices, Malls, IT Parks etc, but a celebration of experiences that make dreams come true!

So, whether you’re looking for that special new place to call Home OR Office/Commercial space – complete with the infrastructural relevance – which provides the right vibes to help chart your business growth, we extend you a warm invitation to view the details of our various properties and decide on that perfect place meant just for you!

Couldn't help but notice...

I knew this would happen even when the ol' girl was still smoldering. No mainstream media outlet has picked up the story about how suspicious this fire was, how Lalani wanted it torn down from Day 1 and alot of the other questions this thread has brought up.

Even the comments section is strangely shut off at CP24...

"So, whether you’re looking for that special new place to call Home OR Office/Commercial space – complete with the infrastructural relevance – which provides the right vibes to help chart your business growth, we extend you a warm invitation to view the details of our various properties and decide on that perfect place meant just for you! "

I guess the old Empress didn't have the right vibes to chart business growth. Yes it certainly doesn't cast a positive light on this Lalani group, or on the City's commitment to protecting heritage properties for that matter.

The demolition machines are now pulling it down, starting along the Gould Street side.

Last edited:

Back