Toronto 33 Maitland | 166.65m | 49s | Carlyle Communities | BDP Quadrangle

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Let's start this off by noting that this application was foreseen by the sleuthing of UT's @AlbertC about 9 months ago w/this post:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/church-wellesley-village.5147/post-1783216.

An aggressive turnaround time in that this site was being vended on the market 9 months ago, and applications were filed last month.

Site as-is, from my follow up to Albert's post, then the app.:

1665139230748.png

Here we go:

1665139287590.png

From the Docs:

1665139456820.png

1665139504443.png

1665139540197.png

1665139595186.png

1665140308649.png

1665139695756.png

3 elevators to 439 units will not meet the @ProjectEnd sniff test for this one.

1665140234903.png

Comments:

I'm surprised to see no allowance made for a public easement/future park on the west side of the site.

It's already a constrained site; but Parks has had its eye on the idea of making the Yonge St. Linear Park system continuous for a generation.

I also wonder about cumulative shadow impact on proposed City Park just to the north-west (the Green P lot).

Finally, on heritage, the dismissive take on the Heritage of 33 Maitland doesn't read well to me.

Frankly, I think its facade is the more attractive of the two buildings currently on the site.

Heritage as legislated by Ontario and practiced in Toronto under-weights the aesthetic and contextual value of buildings/facades in my judgement. This results in some really odd buildings being saved that are loved by almost no one, for no compelling reason except age, and the relative rarity of their mundaneness, while failing to preserve something people broadly appreciate, because there are another 1/2 dozen examples of it in the City.

To add to the parkland/pedestrian connection discussion above, this is from TO Core (Downtown Parks Plan)

1665142454587.png

You'll note that this site is not shown as a park (shaded black); but does show a connection between Maitland and Alexander. (dashed line)

This is further shows in more detail here:

1665142715849.png

This version clearly envisions following the lane behind Yonge to Sky Gilbert Lane (behind the subject site) in order to access Alexander Park.

Of course, at the time of this plan, I doubt the availability of the subject site was considered.

These previous plans imagined some sort of connection, as noted above, along this laneway:

1665142986119.png

Between the cantilever of the Yonge-facing development, the narrowness of the lane, and existing landscape/siting of 25 Maitland, I don't see it, not with the existing building there. Which makes me wish this assembly included 25 Maitland for a more cohesive approach to the area.

Below is Sky Gilbert Lane along which the connection to Alexander Park was to be made:

1665143141747.png

Talk about doing cantilever summersaults to defer to the small heritage building on site (37 Maitland)… but having recently adjusted my meds... I flat out love it.

Yet another skyscraper proposal in T.O. bringing a new total up to 192 in the city. Nice detailed precast columns for the tower. Creating a punctured window look for the facade etc!

Yet another skyscraper proposal in T.O. bringing a new total up to 192 in the city. Nice detailed precast columns for the tower. Creating a punctured window look for the facade etc!
Hi, 192 total Proposals? I've been following on the Skyscraper Page diagram for Toronto and it shows only 188 total proposals not including this 1, of course. Are the other 3 brand new 1's that maybe haven't been updated yet? Thanks so much! 😀

Hi, 192 total Proposals? I've been following on the Skyscraper Page diagram for Toronto and it shows only 188 total proposals not including this 1, of course. Are the other 3 brand new 1's that maybe haven't been updated yet? Thanks so much! 😀

I don't see 33 Walsh on the SSP list yet. That's more than one tower right there.

I don't see 33 Walsh on the SSP list yet. That's more than one tower right there.
Thanks for that. That makes 193 total. I thought a few were missing from the Diagrams page recently, but Koops65 does a great job and has a lot to do, and I'm sure he's always busy. So I was waiting to see if more would be added. 😀

Yes the diagram only show the ones that koop's illustrated. But the proposed listings shows 189 skyscrapers ending at the 793 Don mills rd tower at 492ft or 500m respectively. Them I've been watching every day which new tower comes in that surpassed the 492ft or 500m mark adding it to the equation. And since then there was 71 storeys Cambridge suites, this 33-37 Maitland at 49 storeys and 1075 Leslie st development of two 49 and one 45 storey in T.O. Which actually brings it up more to 194 proposals. Because I don't see it in the listings. Would be great to see Koops illustrate them too lol! THANKS FOR MAKING ME BE AWARE THIS IS INSANE!!!

Nice colour and materiality here, design is generally nice although I find the cantilevers/stacked jenga massing to be a bit clumsy. I'm not really a fan of the massive skyscraper stepping on the heritage building look in general; I wonder if they could move the heritage building closer to the lot line, so it's not as consumed by the cantilever?

Hopefully those finishes don't get value engineered too much, this one otherwise has potential to look quite nice with the brick and coppery accents.

Yes the diagram only show the ones that koop's illustrated. But the proposed listings shows 189 skyscrapers ending at the 793 Don mills rd tower at 492ft or 500m respectively. Them I've been watching every day which new tower comes in that surpassed the 492ft or 500m mark adding it to the equation. And since then there was 71 storeys Cambridge suites, this 33-37 Maitland at 49 storeys and 1075 Leslie st development of two 49 and one 45 storey in T.O. Which actually brings it up more to 194 proposals. Because I don't see it in the listings. Would be great to see Koops illustrate them too lol! THANKS FOR MAKING ME BE AWARE THIS IS INSANE!!!
You meant 492 feet or 150 metre mark, right?

That's amazing, thanks! 194 proposals + 121 completed and u/c and 1 tower on hold. That's a total of 316 tower projects 150 + in total now! Wow! 😮

Also, how do we keep track of the total number of built/u/c and proposed towers now if the diagram page doesn't show them,? Thanks. 😀

Last edited:
That's amazing, thanks! 194 proposals + 121 completed and u/c and 1 tower on hold. That's a total of 316 tower projects 150 + in total now! Wow! 😮
And it's coming close to New York City's proposed, construction, built etc 350 plus mark by about 40 or more lol!

Last edited:

Back