Toronto 316 Bloor West | 121.14m | 37s | State Building Group | Kirkor

The yellow contrasting the black looks really interesting and daring. Something the bland repeated buildings in toronto need more of.

No surprise, it looks like State is going the SmartHouse route with micro-units aimed at UT students. Here are the units sizes in square feet on a typical floor:

1: 305 2: 643 3: 491 4: 475 5: 453 6: 643 7: 277 8: 277 9: 442 10: 320 11: 347 12: 339 13: 339 14: 640 15: 667

I think the 277 square foot units are a record for TO. Anyone know otherwise?

I like micro units a lot. But in Toronto they're not really any cheaper than the standard units, which sort of eliminates the major advantage.

Micro units are fine if properly designed for real living, not just left over space in a building where developers try to turn into tiny dog-unit studio to sell as a crash pad (like at DNA).
Smart House is an excellent, and probably the only example of tiny units which are well designed, though it costs more because of the more elaborately designed kitchen, closet and bathroom units and they also offer a furniture package which also makes the best use of the space.

This is the 270 sq.ft. unit at DNA which occurs in the most undesirable part of the building, on low floor of the podium with only views overlooking the loading dock/alley:
270sqft.JPG

Love how you could only put a couple pieces of furniture in it, with the view of the back side of the TV when you enter the unit!

The design of the building is not bad for a Kirkor building, which is not saying much. It would be cool if those yellow-green boxes glowed at night.

Attachments

• 270sqft.JPG
    270sqft.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,330
Last edited:
It's funny that the average Canadian prison cell is just slightly smaller at 237 sq ft. But mind you that accommodates 2 ppl.

If by special person you mean probably 90% of the Earth's population then yes.
I was trying to phrase that in a mildly pleasant way, what I really mean is that it takes either a very introverted minimalist who just needs a lamp and a book by Albert Camus to live there, or it takes someone really desperate who can't afford larger which I imagine makes up a good 85% of the number you state. Which I assume is an arbitrary number. Though I get your point.

for a single person, a micro unit is all you really need. It starts getting more questionable if you introduce a second person to the household.

Usually these are used as "crash pads" anyway and people spend the vast majority of their day outside of the unit.

http://www.joecressy.com/march_e_news_1

316 Bloor Street West

Date: Thursday April 2nd
Time: 6:30-8:30p.m.
Location: University of Toronto Schools, Sidney Smith Building (100 St. George St.), Rm. SS1085

Note - City Planning will also be present to give an update on the development of a planning policy framework for Bloor St., from Walmer Rd to St. George St.

The cultural footprint of Bloor/ Madison is hundreds of drunken/ high loogans spilling in and out of the Madison tavern every weekend. May a 500+ micro-unit development clean up this corner? Could it be a 21st century Rochdale College? Undecided.

Last edited:

Back