Toronto 316 Bloor West | 121.14m | 37s | State Building Group | Kirkor

I disagree. What would be gained with such a cut? You've still got a tall building, just one that's slightly less tall. 80 years ago, Bloor Street was all single family detached manor houses. Things change. This is simply part of that evolution.

I especially like how this is only building on the one lot and not absorbing the whole row right to Spadina.

It's also immediately adjacent to an interchange of two subway lines at Spadina Station, not to mention the Spadina Streetcar. It's an ideal place for density.

/\ Absolutely.

1 - Copy.jpg

2.jpg

3 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,055
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 3 - Copy.jpg
    3 - Copy.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:
I'm not opposed to change, nor do I think that towers don't belong here at all. There's several in the vicinity of this proposal but nothing even remotely close to the height of this building. It sticks out like a sore thumb and there are very few lots that will be easily redeveloped in the short term in this neighbourhood. Way too many single family homes. I think a small cut would bring the tower down to a height that matches the neighbourhood better without completely slashing it down. 15 storeys is too short but 42 is still too tall too. Why not 35ish?

42 really isn't that tall these days, for that spot sure its tall, but it has to start somewhere, and that is a good spot for it. Sometimes its not a bad thing to stick out like a sore thumb. The area certainly has the infrastructure. Transit, retail, parks etc. And really it's not that far from other major nodes.

I'm not opposed to change, nor do I think that towers don't belong here at all. There's several in the vicinity of this proposal but nothing even remotely close to the height of this building. It sticks out like a sore thumb and there are very few lots that will be easily redeveloped in the short term in this neighbourhood. Way too many single family homes. I think a small cut would bring the tower down to a height that matches the neighbourhood better without completely slashing it down. 15 storeys is too short but 42 is still too tall too. Why not 35ish?

What actual benefit is achieved by cutting 7 storeys? That seems like a token and arbitrary cut.

Having lived in this neighborhood for about 9 months thus far, I think tall is the way to go here to actually preserve most of the surroundings. Let Bloor and Spadina streets go tall and restrict development on the side streets (except for maybe Walmer).

As for shadows, would not be surprised if Tartu College castes a larger shadow than a point tower such as this one.

So the laws of physics are suspended for Tartu or for this one? Clearly a 42-storey structure is going to have a more significant shadow, even if it's slender, than a 17-storey building.

There are pretty much zero step backs in this design, so it doesn't even remotely address Toronto's Tall Buildings Guidelines. Good luck to all involved.

Only saw the rendering in ProjectEnd's now as I was posting on my phone and I can now see that it would definitely have a bigger impact. I suppose I was getting at the slab vs. point tower shadow.

42 really isn't that tall these days, for that spot sure its tall, but it has to start somewhere, and that is a good spot for it. Sometimes its not a bad thing to stick out like a sore thumb. The area certainly has the infrastructure. Transit, retail, parks etc. And really it's not that far from other major nodes.

Why does it have to start somewhere?

The lot's in play, the new building will certainly be taller, but that doesn't mean that just because a developer is looking for 42 storeys that they will or should get it, or necessarily anything even close to that. Planning will do their thing, and the negotiations will start, and there's no chance this will end up at 42 storeys.

To me this seems like the classic haggling/sales tactic where you start out unreasonably high, making lower values that are way above what would normally be accepted seem more reasonable by comparison.

I'm gonna guess it's either Kirkor or P+S, which is why it should be reduced in height to around 28 storeys. Recall how Art Shoppe Condos got a big hair cut? And that building is a stone's throw from those Minto towers. So yes, I'd prefer a gorgeous 12 storey tower with large 2000 sq ft Annex Mansions in the sky here.:)

You see, the Annex will change into just another boring Bay Street as developers buy up all the character buildings.

Back