Toronto 307 Sherbourne Street | 49.55m | 15s | Forum Asset Mgmt | superkül

The database file has been updated! 122 suites now instead of 94. This is all a bit of a surprise for a building that Planning seemed to be objecting to over its size. Maybe we had that wrong?

https://www.obenflats.com/properties/oben-flats-sherbourne

1547523360110.png

That looks awesome but at that part of Sherbourne? I'm not sure. Just south of that is literally one of the worst blocks downtown IMO.

That is why I think this is a good thing. his area needs all the 'help' it can get. This area has been on the edge of 'improvement' for decades. I realize this area has many social issues that need to be addressed.

[54] More than any other policy cited by these witnesses, the positions of all three City witnesses with respect to what may be called the “shadow prohibited time” were delivered with an evangelical zeal, and by its repeated assertion by them, came across as now essentially departmental dogma.

love me a good OMB ruling with some sass.

[120] The City, through both its planning witnesses and through counsel, argued strenuously that to allow the Appellant’s proposed building to cast shadow in the policy prohibited period would set an extraordinarily unfortunate and difficult precedent, which would simply open the door to countless other applications for approval that did not respect this prohibition.

[121] The Tribunal is not impressed with that argument as it takes absolutely no account of the reasons that inform this decision about the context and facts here and the matter of properly interpreting OP policy. There may well be other applications where, in the interest of achieving worthy and necessary OP goals some reconciliation of this policy will be required and some minimal shadow permitted. The world will turn and the sun will shine

Essentially the city admitted that the proposal was great other than a pesky shadow - and therefor was completely unacceptable. They offered an alternative design that completely ignored all other urban design guidelines (tall buildings, heritage setbacks, etc.) that significantly reduced the shadow on Allen Gardens.

The board found that the OP is designed to have its policies weighed against each other to find the best outcome. Completely ignoring most of the OP in terms of desirable urban design in order to minimize shadow on a park through an existing OP policy that is tenable at best as to whether no net new shadow is even falls under existing OP policy is unacceptable. The Board member then said this with quite a bit of snark, and approved the development.

Last edited:
love me a good OMB ruling with some sass.

Essentially the city admitted that the proposal was great other than a pesky shadow - and therefor was completely unacceptable. They offered an alternative design that completely ignored all other urban design guidelines (tall buildings, heritage setbacks, etc.) that significantly reduced the shadow on Allen Gardens.

The board found that the OP is designed to have its policies weighed against each other to find the best outcome. Completely ignoring most of the OP in terms of desirable urban design in order to minimize shadow on a park through an existing OP policy that is tenable at best as to whether no net new shadow is even falls under existing OP policy is unacceptable. The Board member then said this with quite a bit of snark, and approved the development.

omg so much this: "The world will turn and the sun will shine."

According to an update from back in May 2019 by the Cabbagetown South Residents Association, construction for this project is expected to start sometime in the late Fall this year.

Important revisions were reportedly made throughout the approval process, including the building now to be clad in all brick and modifications to the balconies.

Back