Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

. Sadly, it just goes to show that individually these buildings are fine but when fully built out, they are being designed and built without any context or reference to neighbouring buildings. No continuity in built form, a total mishmash of styles, setbacks, etc. primarily at street level.

Yes, so true.

But look on the bright side, at least we are getting rid of at least 5 massive parking lots.

It is interesting that some threads have negative comments on the problems of single developers (Cityplace) creating large monotonous zones with similar uses and styles, while others have negative comments regarding variety of differing styles, heights of towers/podiums etc.

I certainly prefer a mish-mash of styles that come along with smaller parcels being developed by different companies with different clients and visions - the eclectic streetscape is far more interesting than anything over-planned (which is a bit odd for a planner to say).

I guess it's a real balancing act between too eclectic and too monotonous. No easy solution.

(also speaking as a planner)

Re: Cityplace... too late (although I don't think the current situation is as bad is many people make it out to be - Concord is doing some things much better on the west side of Spadina then they did on the east).

There is quite a dense mini-cluster forming between Simcoe, Adelaide, Spadina and the rail tracks. By my count, there are eight towers taller than 100m built, under construction or proposed for that area:

208.4m 53f Ritz-Carlton Toronto (under construction)
198.9m 58f 300 Front Street West (proposed)
182.9m 42f RBC Centre (under construction)
156.7m 42f Bell Lightbox (under construction)
148.0m 33f Simcoe Place (built)
128.0m 27f Metro Hall West (built)
124.7m 34f M5V Life (proposed)
108.0m 36f Apex West (built)

Plus Apex East and the two Matrix buildings (already built), and the proposed 99 Blue Jays Way, all just under 100m (and 151 Front Street west, at 175.5m and 36f, half a block to the east of this area). Most of these are on the southern half of the area, but with a number of available parking lots and underutilised low-rise buildings on the northern half, so a few more talls could be built.

Bill

edit -- I took a screenshoot of the pdf image and measured the pixel count of the top portion using Paint, and compared the pixel count to the portions with heights given. The top portion is 15.01m by my measurement (probably exactly 15m), giving a total height of 198.9m = 653.6 feet.

My mistake. Yes it was. Anyway, it was on the agenda for the Toronto and East York Community Council meeting held on September 10th.

edit -- I took a screenshoot of the pdf image and measured the pixel count of the top portion using Paint, and compared the pixel count to the portions with heights given. The top portion is 15.01m by my measurement (probably exactly 15m), giving a total height of 198.9m = 653.6 feet.
So with rounding it's still 654 feet. I'll leave as is on the 400 foot list.

Do you guys think City Hall will make the developers shorten this tower, realistically speaking?

...and...

When is the council going to make such a decision?

I really hope this one happens. It's so slim and sexy, and very corporate looking. I loove it!

The only possible NIMBY is the CBC all the other buildings in the area are skyscrapers.

RBC, RITZ and TIFF didnt have any trouble, well maybe TIFF had some issues with Metro Hall wanting to be the biggest in the area, but with these 3 going up...nothing to complain about now.

Back