Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Perhaps DCN's updates are/were accurate at some point in time....however seeing as how this forum has the most up to date and relevant information, UT is always one or to steps ahead in the 411 category. We should all take it as a compliment imo...;)

This one is still alive. A zb/l amendment application has been submitted as the site plan approval drawings have been refined. Therefore the previously approved application from May 2008 must be changed. The changes are very minor in nature and impact the height limit on the western edge of the property where originally the was no proposed structure. The change in the height limit is to accommodate a covering for the entrance to the parking garage and will not produce any additional gross floor area. Additionally a wind study has revealed some issues for pedestrian discomfort and any mitigation measures required by the wind study will be secured in a subsequent sec 37 agreement. Planning staff have recommended the council approve the revisions.

I didn't realize that Section 37 dealt with wind issues and the like. Is that normal, Mike? I would have thought that this would be dealt with by the City during the initial proposal/approval phase.

I didn't realize that Section 37 dealt with wind issues and the like. Is that normal, Mike? I would have thought that this would be dealt with by the City during the initial proposal/approval phase.

To be honest I'm not sure, it could be a situation with minor changes occurring late in the game and rather then opening up additional changes to the site plan agreement that any additional mitigation requirements would be secured within the sec 37. Section 37 often ends up being a dumping ground where the city had a long list of 'asks' that are guaranteed to be provided by the developer through the sec 37 agreement.

http://www.yongestreetmedia.ca/devnews/3000303.aspx

49-storey Wallman-Cormier condo collaboration begins construction at Front and John
Wednesday, March 03, 2010

300 Front, the latest project by architectsAlliance co-founder Rudy Wallman, begins construction this month.

Consisting of a 49-storey tower and a 15-storey loft building, the project at the corner of John Street will have a total of 683 units, with gardens on street level at the southeast corner of the property, which has been a parking lot for some time.

"Its main selling feature is that it's at the heart of the entertainment district," says Tridel spokesman Samson Fung,"and it's one of the highest in the area, so we expect it to appeal to affluent, younger buyers." The building is approximately 70 per cent sold, according to Fung.

The gardens were designed by Montreal landscape architect Claude Cormier. "To give the building a signature presence, we inscribed its address � 300 � directly into the design," he says of the design on his website. "The roadways and sidewalks of the site make up the digits, clearly visible from the high vantage points in the nearby surroundings.

"Like the logo on a Fendi purse, the site-integrated icon is woven through with an intricate network of paving."

Wallman, who was also a principal behind the new Four Seasons and Lumiere on Bay, is one of the city's homegrown starchitects, who along with Peter Clewes (with whom he's worked at Architectsalliance), Quadrangle's Brian Curtner and David Pontarini of Hariri Pontarini have put a lasting stamp on the city during the recent condo boom.

Writer: Bert Archer
Source: Tridel, Claude Cormier

Base of building

It's probably already been discussed given the amount of pages, but I really don't like the layout of the base on this building...no retail, setback from the 2 main streets...I think this will add little to it's surroundings, except maybe for the tiny park, but even that seems underwhelming... :(

It's probably already been discussed given the amount of pages, but I really don't like the layout of the base on this building...no retail, setback from the 2 main streets...I think this will add little to it's surroundings, except maybe for the tiny park, but even that seems underwhelming... :(

No retail is news to me. I was under the impression that there would be retail facing Front Street. Is this incorrect?

My mistake

My mistake then...based on the renderings I saw it seemed like the park fronted both John and Front and the base of the tower setback from both streets contained the lobby...maybe the retail is fronting the other side of the tower, namely Windsor Street or the base of the smaller tower? But because of the setback from the street, it doesn't appear to be much retail - if any fronting Front or John...maybe I'm missing something from the renders, but it looks that way.

The project doesn't extend over to Windsor. About 1/3 of the surface parking will remain as is.

My mistake then...based on the renderings I saw it seemed like the park fronted both John and Front and the base of the tower setback from both streets contained the lobby...maybe the retail is fronting the other side of the tower, namely Windsor Street or the base of the smaller tower? But because of the setback from the street, it doesn't appear to be much retail - if any fronting Front or John...maybe I'm missing something from the renders, but it looks that way.
Look at the renders again. There's no setback - the towers are right next to both streets.

masterplan_490.jpg

http://www.tridel.com/300front/masterplan.php

Thank God the parking lot will vanish and the hydro will be hidden. I hope this "park" is attractive and has some benches.

Thank God the parking lot will vanish and the hydro will be hidden. I hope this "park" is attractive and has some benches.

What are we going to bitch about when all those surface parking lots disappear??

Do we talk about what buildings should come down that are too short today???

Back