Toronto 245 Queen Street East | 94.3m | 25s | ONE Properties | Graziani + Corazza

Is this going anywhere?....sorry to bring it up, but after 2-1/2 years since the proposal and 9 months of no activity on this thread?:confused:
They're waiting for a commitment for a subway station at the front door here. If the Relief Line gets the go ahead, this property will more easily get the density increase that they want.

New docs posted March 27. The proposal was reduced to 28 storeys @ 102.05 m (Building A), 24 storeys @ 89.8 m (Building B) and 37 storeys @ 128.1 m (Building C):
upload_2018-4-6_17-36-12.png

upload_2018-4-6_17-36-27.png

upload_2018-4-6_17-37-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-6_17-36-12.png
    upload_2018-4-6_17-36-12.png
    80 KB · Views: 572
  • upload_2018-4-6_17-36-27.png
    upload_2018-4-6_17-36-27.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 580
  • upload_2018-4-6_17-37-6.png
    upload_2018-4-6_17-37-6.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
WOW. I can't remember the last time I saw a 19 storey height reduction in a revised document. Great to see the public park included, but can't imagine it will be a very good space surrounded by a canyon on 3 sides.

The 24 floor tower is quite a bit taller than the 28 floor tower... office perhaps?
My mistake, I was initially looking at this cross-section of Building A in the architectural plans:
upload_2018-4-6_21-7-48.png

It's a stepped design with a maximum height of 102.05 m, which I edited in my post above.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-6_21-7-48.png
    upload_2018-4-6_21-7-48.png
    59 KB · Views: 561
I kind of like this concept better even thought the buildings aren't that high. The many different levels of building height variances blend in well in this area. It would also great to see more stone materials in this project like the Monde project !

Wow. I dunno. I was excited for a new height peak. Is this not just going to be another overly chunky dense development like time and space and the like? Maybe I’ll be happier when I see materials rather than just chunky massing.

Time and Space is going to be a ridiculous mass of density, this isn't at that same level. I mean T+S has 1,500 units on a single city block, fit in under 30 floors.. it's going to essentially double the population of the St Lawrence in a single griffin building.

Great to see the public park included, but can't imagine it will be a very good space surrounded by a canyon on 3 sides.

Should face Richmond. Will get some sun that way.

I love the idea of the glass covered arcade for this development, and hope that it is designed to interface well with the new park. They will want to make it not only an attractive shopping corridor, but also a nice place to walk through. However, the large footprint retail that often dominate most new developments would make it less appealing. They should break up those large retail spaces in my opinion.

Should face Richmond. Will get some sun that way.

As someone involved w/our parks, I would most upset if PF&R (Parks, Forestry and Recreation) gave the existing proposal a pass.

The lack of sun isn't simply an issue for people, though it surely would be that.

It's an issue for vegetation.

There are only 2 native tree species that can grow in near full shade, but neither will grow quickly with that measure of shade, and less than ideal conditions otherwise. (Sugar Maple and Basswood).

Most flowers won't do well either.

You can make do w/eastern exposure (though the heritage properties on site make that awkward.)

So you really need some southern or western exposure.

You could deal w/a building in the way, but it would have to quite short so as to cast a minimal shadow.

I don't see the proposed park location as viable.

Let me throw in the importance of long-term public/City planning.

We all know Moss Park (TCHC) across the street from this proposal will not survive, as is, in the longer term.

Moss Park the park also has redevelopment plans pending.

I would really love the City to have been a position to show how they see that site to the north evolving.

It already has a park-like space, that is entirely TCHC land, but w/mature greenery.

Making that space a public park, and a better one, might be a more useful investment in this case.

I think it's important to actually get net new park space downtown, and not merely invest cash-in-lieu or section 37 monies in restoring or enhancing existing parks.

But I'm not convinced a new park on-site here is the best use of resources.

However, if we are going that route, then the park must have reasonable sunlight levels.

Time and Space is going to be a ridiculous mass of density, this isn't at that same level. I mean T+S has 1,500 units on a single city block, fit in under 30 floors.. it's going to essentially double the population of the St Lawrence in a single griffin building.
Why are you raising T & S here - really not sure these 2 are comparable. Since you have raised T & S, I must say that though T&S will be a large 'complex' it will certainly not 'essentially double the population of St Lawrence" (whicht is between 30,000 and 35,000)

Back