Toronto 245 Queen Street East | 94.3m | 25s | ONE Properties | Graziani + Corazza

So you mean all the city housing in the area isn't enough when it comes to affordable housing?

And it's not like these buildings are the Ritz-Carlton or something similar.

Nothing wrong with pushing out crime. And in terms of social housing this area has more than its fair share right now. That includes city housing, shelters and social services. Better to bring projects like this in to mix it up. I've been in the area for 25 years now and the condos on Sherbourne (Mozo, Modern for example) have done wonders for an area that was pretty scary back then.
Agreed. It seems this is the fastest way to change things in Toronto.
I live right in the centre of the roughest part of Moss Park and I vehemently disagree that the solution is to "push out crime" by introducing developments that don't contain an integrative affordable component.
What should we do instead?

We should introduce affordable housing options and integrate them in a meaningful way (not 2 units out of 100, or something like that) within new developments - integrative housing approaches that actually build community and actually mix income groups together.

And no, this project isn't the Ritz-Carlton, but a building does not have to be the Ritz-Carlton to be exclusive. Most Torontonians cannot afford downtown condominiums.

Capture2.png

this has to be one of the goofiest looking bits of facadism i've seen in a while, and toronto is world famous for goofy facadism.

I was looking on the internet for a status of this project, but can't really find anything - most sites state Pre-Construction status. I know that the developers increased the height after Queen/ Sherbourne was short-listed as a stop for the proposed relief line, so approvals will likely be drawn out and a challenge.

I'm hoping that this development gets the green light so that this stretch of Queen can start to get some attention and TLC. If you look at the UT map, there are more than 6 new condos being developed bounded by Sherbourne/ Queen/ Power/ Adelaide, but only 2 dare to go north of Richmond.

What should we do instead?

I proposed a long time ago that neighbourhoods such as Rosedale should have their fair share of homeless shelters and public housing. Then people say "oh, that will be impossible because the rich won't allow it" as if keeping moss parking poverty dominated is a better option, as if the moss park residents desire such concentration of shelters (or allow it).

And I dislike the word "pushing out" (the poor). If we relocate them to an equally good location or better, you can't say it is pushing out. Doesn't Toronto pretend to be a city where the rich and poor co-habitate and not the America-style segregation, then why everytime mentioning Rosedale one automatically says that's a no-go. If regular citizens don't even want positive change, how do you expect politicians to make it?

Queen/Sherbourne needs to be transformed to a more attractive place to live, for the local residents and for the city. We don't need a neighhour which people automatically think of crime, prostitutes and drugs. Some poor people will need to live somewhere else, why can't they? It is not like Moss Park is the best place to live. The last thing drug addicts need is to be around other drug addicts every single day. If it means longer commute, that's still a good thing.

I was looking on the internet for a status of this project, but can't really find anything - most sites state Pre-Construction status. I know that the developers increased the height after Queen/ Sherbourne was short-listed as a stop for the proposed relief line, so approvals will likely be drawn out and a challenge.

I'm hoping that this development gets the green light so that this stretch of Queen can start to get some attention and TLC. If you look at the UT map, there are more than 6 new condos being developed bounded by Sherbourne/ Queen/ Power/ Adelaide, but only 2 dare to go north of Richmond.

South or north of Richmond makes the fundamental difference. Anything south of it is nothing worth celebrating at all. North of Richmond (but south of Carleton) and east of Jarvis, I cheer for it every time because anything new and decent is positive for the area.

@ksun, sorry, but you're sounding pretty clueless about the needs of the homeless, and how many options are open to them. It's not a question of them commuting, it's a question of providing accommodation where you can deliver them the services to either help those who can become independent again do so, or provide longer term care for those who are more vulnerable… and no, the services don't have to all be in one area, but the creation of new service infrastructure is beyond complicated, in terms of simple land availability, and is always politically fraught. So while reinvestment in this area is not necessarily a bad thing, it's not as simple as the developer firing up a bulldozer and pressing down on the pedal.

@Baileyq, this is such a large, complicated proposal, that it's going to take a while to work out. One Properties is engaging the Church-Wellesley neighbourhood about their proposal at that corner, and if they want to be similarly consultative here, this could take a few years. The big question that could slow things down here, however, is in regards to the Relief Line station that could be coming to the block. It's the current most-likely TTC proposal, but it has not worked its way into official City plans yet. Once it does, One Properties has a better chance of getting a larger proposal approved here.

@ksun, sorry, but you're sounding pretty clueless about the needs of the homeless, and how many options are open to them. It's not a question of them commuting, it's a question of providing accommodation where you can deliver them the services to either help those who can become independent again do so, or provide longer term care for those who are more vulnerable… and no, the services don't have to all be in one area, but the creation of new service infrastructure is beyond complicated, in terms of simple land availability, and is always politically fraught. So while reinvestment in this area is not necessarily a bad thing, it's not as simple as the developer firing up a bulldozer and pressing down on the pedal.

@Baileyq, this is such a large, complicated proposal, that it's going to take a while to work out. One Properties is engaging the Church-Wellesley neighbourhood about their proposal at that corner, and if they want to be similarly consultative here, this could take a few years. The big question that could slow things down here, however, is in regards to the Relief Line station that could be coming to the block. It's the current most-likely TTC proposal, but it has not worked its way into official City plans yet. Once it does, One Properties has a better chance of getting a larger proposal approved here.

Thanks for the info @interchange42 have been following the project for a minute now, excited to know if it will come to life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Work happening at what looks to be the sales centre. Workers renovating inside this morning.

IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5884.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5885.JPG
    IMG_5885.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_5884.JPG
    IMG_5884.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 477
I believe only one of the towers is supposed to be a condo, and the other two rentals (provided this hasn't changed since rent control). So this whole thing could move quick if/once it gets approvals.

Back