Toronto 2180 Yonge | 247m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

Oxford has a number of significant proposals on the boards. Including the Hub, Union park, Scarborough Town centre and now this one. I understand that projects of this size can take years to be realized, but has Oxford built anything other than Richmond/ Adelaide Centre in Toronto in the last 20 years? Are any of their proposals moving past just being visions?
They are 50% partner in Hudson Yards project. These projects are much smaller in scale. If it makes financial sense for them, they can take on many of these projects at the same time. I don't think they lack the scale or capability.

Docs are up.

F29837C2-DA83-4DC4-BF7F-BF9F4B6FE615.jpeg
58253504-037D-4482-A350-C32DF98D2926.jpeg
4AEC5C4B-3452-4D09-93E4-F3ADCF015EBA.jpeg
096E80C6-C363-49C6-B326-8A6859610F5E.jpeg

If there's just one thing I hope gets fixed on this mess of an urban plan through the planning process, it's the removal of the cul-de-sac.

If only one thing gets fixed on this mess of a plan; this block will rate as a fail.

Axing the cul-de-sac is a good place to start; re-orienting everything to ensure a vital streetscape along Yonge, and parks with less wind and strong southern sun is essential too.

Also, losing that goofy offset placement of the office tower which should move to the corner.

@AlexBozikovic has a new column up (linked below) on this development.

It‘s one of his best.

I agree completely on 2 of his 3 central points ( the need to break up the super-block); and the need for better open space.

I'm less enamoured by his notion of keeping the existing office towers.

I agree w/the idea of the City growing organically, but these towers have a miserable relationship w/Yonge that I'm not sure is fixable.

That said, I would entertain options that suggested it was fixable; with the admonition that such ideas rarely work out (see Manulife Ctr)

@AlexBozikovic has a new column up (linked below) on this development.

It’s one of his best.

I agree completely on 2 of his 3 central points ( the need to break up the super-block); and the need for better open space.

I'm less enamoured by his notion of keeping the existing office towers.

I agree w/the idea of the City growing organically, but these towers have a miserable relationship w/Yonge that I'm not sure is fixable.

That said, I would entertain options that suggested it was fixable; with the admonition that such ideas rarely work out (see Manulife Ctr)
If there is not any net gain in office space then I agree with Alex on the retention of the existing office buildings. If more office space were proposed (min. 1M square feet), then I would feel better about the environmental impacts of demolishing and rebuilding.

Really well put @AlexBozikovic . I too disagree with retention of the existing office towers, mainly because they are inadequate buildings for modern double/triple-A office spaces, they don't make Yonge Street an inviting place, and because I believe the total amount of office space should be expanded not merely retained. But I otherwise understand where you are coming from on that point on an urbanist and sustainability point.

I really hope this is just the beginning of design conception for this site. There is an opportunity to do something really special with all that space, but the current master plan ain't it.

If there's just one thing I hope gets fixed on this mess of an urban plan through the planning process, it's the removal of the cul-de-sac.
Yeah...that thing is obnoxious in that high density local. Either that or bury it if they want it so private, then pave a public park over the top of it.

I am not a fan of the bulky Tower 1. Two slimmer towers even if shorter in height will look more appealing.

Although it's nice to see this intersection aiming for taller buildings. 3 out of 5 buildings are 200+ m while the tallest we currently have is 196 m.

But...that's actually a nice looking office building...

I'm guessing CT will be relocating to the long-rumoured new HQ they want to build somewhere up on Sheppard?

CT will be the anchor tenant in the new tower. (at Canada Square / Yonge/Eg)

That's why the new tower gets built first.

Back