Toronto 2180 Yonge | 247m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

This project was undetected by my radar !!! What a gorgeous looking project this is going to be for Midtown it Rocks !! It's embarrassing that the downtown core is not creating buildings like these skyscapers with punctured windows. I've noticed St Clair and Eglinton's Yonge intersections are becoming a classier place to be. Being situated in the center of Toronto.

You are entitled to your preferences in respect of the park; though personally, I don't find a wind-swept, shady park a desirable thing. I love my parks, but this doesn't seem well thought out.

But on the office component; The City is the landowner here..........and the heights are the result of negotiating with the City; and lease revenue for the land paid to the City is dependent on what gets built............I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of reduced height/density here.

Though by the time critics here and in the area get done tearing into everyone who came up w/this, I do expect material changes.

But not likely to overall height/density.
I think the Park might be too big for the area create like a pedestrian street for like cool shops like the Well, just create a lot of density we're almost getting 400,000 people a year now and we can't build suburbs that are like an hour away.

I think the Park might be too big for the area create like a pedestrian street for like cool shops like the Well, just create a lot of density we're almost getting 400,000 people a year now and we can't build suburbs that are like an hour away.

Well, the actual park (City-owned) is quite small; the large, 'green' openspace is actually a POPS; privately-owned, public space; which we are calling a park here as that's what it's being marketed as in many respects.

That said, I agree its on the high side, though, in fairness, it would, in theory have to accommodate the needs of thousands of office workers and residents; that does require some space.

I would be quite happy with a slightly smaller 'park' space; which is truly a park (City-owned) and properly sited.

Can't wait to see this whole development add on in one of Koop's flyby one of these days! It going to really enhance the height density on Yonge and Eglinton's intersection in midtown!

Just saw this. Now every once and awhile on a weekday I'll make my way down to the Turkish coffee shop two blocks east of Yonge street and sit myself down for a Turkish coffee and watch the world go by outside. My point is Yonge and Eglinton has a certain urban vibe to it, this proposal does not. More like a suburban coat of white wash. I anticipate and accept future density in the area even reaching new heights but this proposal is sterile.

They say 5 skyscrapers? i count 7

The tallest tower, the northern end of the site, is a single building. It just looks like 3 from some perspectives.

source: https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb/oxford-bets-on-city-living-with-plan-for-toronto-skyscrapers

1200x-1.jpg

Hate having the park on Yonge. Continuous streetfront with retail along Yonge is my preference. And yes a very suburban feel. The towers themselves are fine.

Oxford, CT REIT plan 3M-sq.-ft. Canada Square redevelopment

Dec. 21, 2020

Oxford Properties Group and CT REIT plan to redevelop the 9.2-acre Canada Square property with a three-million-square-foot mixed-use development at Toronto’s Yonge and Eglinton intersection.

The proposal includes five mixed-use towers with over 650,000 square feet of new office space, street-related retail, 2,700 new housing units, new community amenities and landscaped open spaces. It also includes improved transit infrastructure and a dedicated community space in multiple phases. The developers say they are dedicating half of the site to new outdoor space for the community.

----------
The plan envisions three “precincts” to the development.

A mixed-use precinct will anchor the north side of the site featuring a tower that will accommodate 650,000 square feet of office space and over 400 residential units.

Located directly above the Eglinton interchange station for the TTC’s Line 1 subway and Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown LRT, and planned as the first phase of the redevelopment, this precinct will also accommodate transit improvements including a new TTC bus terminal that integrates with the existing subway concourse.

A new street-level public plaza will lead from the intersection to a landscaped open space immediately south of the mixed-use tower, a creative use of the bus terminal roof.

Residential precinct

A residential precinct at the south side of the site will feature four residential towers including street-related retail and office space for community professional services, such as medical and dental uses, around a central courtyard accessed from a new public street.

The building heights scale down to the south and west, with terracing to provide height transition to the surrounding residential neighbourhoods. These buildings will overlook new parkland proposed along Duplex Avenue.

The central precinct features open space and serves to both transition the north-south grade changes across the site while also providing a new accessible east-west route linking Yonge Street and Duplex Avenue.

A new 10,000-square-foot community space also features prominently in the central precinct, with the potential to accommodate a day care centre, recreation space or other community services.

“We believe it takes a developer with Oxford’s experience and a collaborative approach with stakeholders to create the most community and social value from one of the most important sites in Midtown,” added Mark Cote, head of development, Canada, at Oxford Properties, in the release.

“Our phased approach to development seeks to navigate the site challenges to deliver a compelling public realm, new amenities and exciting experiences at each stage of the project.

“The current pandemic has vividly demonstrated the need for additional outdoor space in our urban centres and our proposal for Canada Square, where approximately half of the site is dedicated to open space, puts it at the heart of this development.

“We will continue to work hand-in-hand with the community, the Councillor’s office and stakeholder groups to ensure the project meets the evolving needs of Yonge and Eglinton and the wider Midtown Community.”

Nice try with this one Oxford, you aint fooling anyone with this:

The building heights scale down to the south and west, with terracing to provide height transition to the surrounding residential neighbourhoods

Doesnt really seem like it with the above renderings (at least to the south), but they can keep trying to pedal that one.

I would take the shorter mid west tower, move it where the park is on Yonge street and increase its height by 40 meters. Then move the park over to the mid west portion of the proposal and drop the 3 southern towers heights significantly. Restaurants and stores at street level for Yonge and Eglinton. Think from a massing point of view, livability and generally fitting in with the low residential surroundings this would go a long way to making this proposal more acceptable.

2180 YONGE ST
Ward 12: Toronto-St. Paul's

Development Applications

Project description:
Proposal for 5 mixed-use towers comprised of 2,701 residential units having a residential gross floor area of 216,162.40 square metres, 60,704 square metres of non-residential GFA, approximately 1,000 SM of community space, and approximately 2 hectares (50% of the site) of open space.

.Hmm?, a 60s bldg. with 665.000 sq.ft..of office space and residential overtop should get you a 230-240 meter tower,
....Councillor Josh Matlow are you ready for that?

Under the proposal, the tallest building will be 60 storeys and the shortest will be 45 storeys, according to Oxford. The five towers will include 650,000 square feet of new office space, 2,700 new housing units and 10,000 square feet of community space. About half of the site has been set aside for green space.
The housing units will be mostly apartments or purpose-built rental units, with the majority of the units one-bedroom and studios.

If the plan is approved, construction would start after the new public transportation is finished, which is scheduled for the fall of 2022. After that time, the project is expected to take up to five years to complete. Currently, the site has three office buildings, which will be demolished for the new development

The Globe and Mail

Back