News   May 14, 2024
 714     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 502     0 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

I agree jn, however the main difference is Greece yields no power. France on the other is arguably the most influential European nation over the past 2-3 years, I'm using the IMF and the euro crisis as examples.
Just like South Africa was a shoo-in for 2020, i see Paris as a shoo-in for 2024.

Perhaps, but I'd say Germany more fits that role and it didn't do much for Munich's bid. I think the problem with a Paris bid is that the Olympics would be lost in a city like that. The IOC likes to be able to boast of transforming a city or even a country, like Barcelona or Beijing. Even London's Olympics featured and immense regeneration of the East End. Paris would be pretty much the same the day before the Olympics as after. I'd also think there would be problems, as in any Western country, with anti-Olympics protesters. In some ways, that makes a developing world country where most people are genuinely excited a less risky choice.

For 2020, I think Toronto would stand a decent chance. Vancouver went quite well in the end, and the enthusiasm of the crowds will certainly give some encouragement to the IOC. North America hasn't hosted since 1996, which would play a role, and Toronto is within a day's drive of 200 million of the wealthiest people on earth, so it's quite a market. We've got a world-class airport, a new five-star hotel going up seemingly every year (a big change compared with our previous bids), and we should never underestimate the multiculturalism angle. Our bid would no doubt be humbler than that of some other cities, but we're pretty likely to get it built on time.

As for our competitors, I think Cape Town would have been formidable. It's a gorgeous city with excellent infrastructure. The same cannot be said about Durban, which I find to be a baffling choice for South Africa.

Madrid will again be a formidable competitor but the Samaranch effect will be gone by then and Europe (well, Britain) will have hosted only 8 years earlier. On the other hand, it has amazing infrastructure and the last Olympics held in Spain went very well.
Qatar will be a contender, especially after their World Cup win, but recent events in the Middle East might give the IOC pause (imagine if they had awarded the World Cup to Bahrain right now) and the heat is obviously a factor. I wouldn't count them out, for the obvious financial reasons and because of the appeal of an Olympics in the Arab world.
Dubai is similar though it is obviously much more of a real city with large attractions and infrastructure than Doha. It will suffer from its recent financial crisis but if it's back-stopped by Abu Dhabi, they'd have a fighting chance.
Istanbul would also be a very interesting choice as a first Olympics in a Muslim country while remaining relatively close to Continental Europe and in a stable, democratic country. Turkey's recent tension with many Western countries may hurt their chances, though it might also boost their support from the developing world.
Delhi doesn't have a chance after the Commonwealth games. I don't know about Casablanca but if they refused Prague and Istanbul last time for their infrastructure, I can't imagine them giving it to them.

And fortunately this time, we won't have a mayor like Mel Lastman around making what could be construed as racist comments about Africans just before the vote.

I'm not so sure about that...

You guys are forgetting the huge advantage Toronto has in that no North American city has hosted since 1996, and the US won't be bidding for 2020. I honestly think 2020 is Toronto's to lose.

Not forgetting this at all. However, it's only a tiny part of it. The IOC's thumping of Chicago in the vote for 2016 showed just that. If Chicago is able to finish last and Madrid is able to finish second in voting for a games that immediately followed a games only 1000kms away, then it just goes to show how little the IOC cares about this issue.

Last edited:
That was just due to a high profile spat between the IOC and the US. Toronto doesn't carry that baggage and would be a perfect way to bring the games back to the biggest market in the world without actually being held in the US itself.

One of the stories on our elevator news thingy is that France have stated they will not be supporting/presenting a bid city for 2020!

Here is some new news regarding a potential bid from a reliable source at Gamesbids.com who leaked the 2007 COC announcement about them working on a bid for 2020/24 before it actually hit the newstands.

This is pretty exciting guys. Hopefully, everything gets worked out and agreed on within the short time frame. The bid is in place, we just need all 3 levels of government to agree on certain aspects of the bid and support it. I'm surprised the Feds are more than willing to support a Toronto bid. Great news. Kinda makes sense now since they won their majority government due to the new seats they gained in Ontario and the GTA.

Toronto 2020... oh my. Apparently the feds are ok with it... the provincial libs are iffy because they're not sure if this will have a positive or negative effect on the oct 6th election, and the city doesn't want to share the costs for a bid, but are willing to put money on the table if Toronto wins. Now my municipal sources are really iffy these days, but for the other, its the same people who leaked me the 07 COC announcement. At any rate, an announcement seems to be late august for a time frame on a yes or no, with the COC hoping to get the city to budge and the province a guaranteed yes with the little bit of time left.

Toronto 2020... oh my. Apparently the feds are ok with it... the provincial libs are iffy because they're not sure if this will have a positive or negative effect on the oct 6th election, and the city doesn't want to share the costs for a bid, but are willing to put money on the table if Toronto wins. Now my municipal sources are really iffy these days, but for the other, its the same people who leaked me the 07 COC announcement. At any rate, an announcement seems to be late august for a time frame on a yes or no, with the COC hoping to get the city to budge and the province a guaranteed yes with the little bit of time left.
Seems like a definite maybe at best at this point.

Istanbul 2020

Madrid, Tokyo, Rome, Istanbul, US city (assuming USOC and IOC settle issues), Toronto(assuming it makes a bid), a few more still considering. Take your pick.

Mine is Istanbul.

Despite Harper's efforts to cosy up to China, Canada is still on the wrong side of too many issues internationally.

i think it's all up to the provincial government. Hudak will harp on the Liberals for throwing away money for an expensive event like the Olympics. sadly because of this, I don't see the Liberals backing the bid...

Back