News   Jul 08, 2024
 110     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

The Federal Government has been approached about a bid, along with the Provincial government the proposals have been viewed favourably
The civic government is another matter, the Ford regime does not want to put itself out on something like the Olympics and the COC is very concerned about a Toronto bid being perceived to be incapable of delivering what it promised due to poor civic leadership (the current transportation battle highlights this)
The COC has told all parties involved that it is out of the question to spread the games out as much as the Pan Ams have been.
The COC has recieved encouraging support from various factions of the International Sporting Federations and within the IOC. Specifically the French, German and Swiss.
The COC wants to bid and thinks that there is no better time to bid then 2020 with it being as wide-open as it is and with so many European nations wanting 2022.

Oh and according to one source:

Japan, Spain, Italy and Canada have all hosted games within recent memory. Out of the 4 Canada and Spain left the best impressions on the IOC and that could mitigate the closeness of it. All will be going for their 2nd summer games and all but Spain have hosted the winter version twice, most successfully by Canada.

Word is the Canadian Olympic Committee has filed preliminary paperwork for the 2020 bid. They requested that the IOC keep this confidential. Reason being, Quebec. They'd be outraged and Toronto and COC doesn't want all this negative press until September when the actual letter of bidding intentions is sent in.

Everything is extremely tight lipped at the moment.

Word is the Canadian Olympic Committee has filed preliminary paperwork for the 2020 bid. They requested that the IOC keep this confidential. Reason being, Quebec. They'd be outraged and Toronto and COC doesn't want all this negative press until September when the actual letter of bidding intentions is sent in.

I can't wait to see the articles from the Journal and the Gazette. This will be interesting.

Where do you get your info?

i think it's all up to the provincial government. Hudak will harp on the Liberals for throwing away money for an expensive event like the Olympics. sadly because of this, I don't see the Liberals backing the bid...

On the other hand I could see them supporting the bid to get those all important GTA votes.

Quebec City wants 2022, which would tie in with plans to bring back the NHL.

Quebec City CANNOT host a Winter Olympics. There's no mountain that can run a downhill -- Le Massif is the latest to be ruled out.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/12/13/it’s-looking-downhill-for-quebec’s-winter-games-bid/

I know that QC would love to have a new hockey arena, and our various federal politicians would love to get the three votes that would be swayed by said arena, but there's no frickin' way these guys can get around the fact that they have no mountain. Calgary's downhill was embarassment enough for Canada -- let's try not to be complete idiots twice.

Considering Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver - Canada has certainly hosted more Olympics than our population or global profile would justify - but it all depends on who is in the bidding. These things go in cycles and sometimes it's a matter of advantageous timing in terms of the cities you're bidding against.

Toronto in 2020 isn't that far off, and would only be 10 years post-Vancouver which would make 2 Canadian Olympics before a US turn.

For those of you concerned about 2020 being too close to 2010, the US won the rights to Olympics in 76 (Denver), 80 (Lake Placid) and 84 (Los Angeles), and then after a 12 year gap hosted two olympics within 6 years with Atlanta in 96 and Salt Lake City in 2002. There is a modern precedent of games being won by the same country in less than 10 years.

Last edited:
For those of you concerned about 2020 being too close to 2010, the US won the rights to Olympics in 76 (Denver), 80 (Lake Placid) and 84 (Los Angeles), and then after a 12 year gap hosted two olympics within 6 years with Atlanta in 96 and Salt Lake City in 2002. There is a modern precedent of games being won by the same country in less than 10 years.

I think this is because when you think about a country that can actually handle an olympic campaign without having to build all new facilities (china), where the infrastructure is already in place. of course it makes more sense to have the games there i.e US. I would obviously like the games to come to toronto but i don't believe this is going to happen for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering what is happening in the financial markets around the world (as of this date, August 6, 2011) I believe Toronto's chances of being awarded 2020 Summer Olympics are getting significantly better. At this point in time, however, public debt is becoming more and more unattractive, and intelligent people will ask "will we want to risk the huge debt that may come with the two-week spectacle?".

Let's face it, the price tag would be enormous, and now, public debt is becoming more and more unpalatable. So much of the cost would be directly related to security alone. For these reasons, I think that the 2020 Summer Olympics idea may get a frosty reception from politicians.

ROB FORD loves sports. HE just needs to be able to sell it to Torontonians as a good idea.. That cant be hard because we were dumb enough to vote for him based on a set of lies just a year ago. All he needs to do is suggest this is the fastest and cheapest way to fix our infrastructure problems. Through in a DRL and some road repairs and he might be right.... his bonus is he gets a NFL team most likely..

Truthfully I think an added bonus will be the international exposure toronto would receive. Already companys are looking at us a s a viable alternative. The olympics might just highlight that thought even more.

Back