News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Toronto 2020 - Do you think the city will put forth a bid for these Olympics?

Toronto bid and won the 2015 Pan Am Games BECAUSE we want to Olympic Games one day. No politican or city leader will come out and say that for fear of lighting an anti-games movement, however it is exactly what they are planning.

I'm very aware of what Rio 2007 did and that is exactly the model Toronto will be using to land us the Olympics. I also want to make clear that the new Pan Am Stadium in Hamilton is designed to be expandable and so will the Pool in Scarborough.

I also follow Olympic Bids for closely and I know for a fact that past Olympic bid results from a city do have a direct impact on a future outcome.

The point of my post was to clearly make the case on why Toronto will NOT be bidding for 2020 and why a 2024 bid was likely.

Louroz

fair enough.....but some prospective Toronto bid for 2024 is not (IM0) reason enough to hold off on a QC bid (if it otherwise made sense).

I think we are a pretty open and free debate city/culture and if the people here do a bait and switch on the Pan Ams (ie. promise us a relatively modest bid then build to Olympic standards) I think the backlash will cause us to lose any Olympic hopes anyway.

The point of my post was to clearly make the case on why Toronto will NOT be bidding for 2020 and why a 2024 bid was likely.
Surely we should bid for 2020 simply for putting our name out there for 2024 ... and honing the bid. it worked for Rio, who did bid for 2012 ... even though they hadn't hosted the Pan-Am games at that time.

Quebec City won't get an endorsement from the COC for a 2022 Winter Olympics. How dumb would that be considering the last Olympics Canada would have hosted would be the Vancouver "WINTER" Olympics in 2010. How retarded is that!

The COC has stated in the past that they will focus on building up Canada's Summer Sporting infrastructure. We already have two sets of Winter Olympic Venues on the West Coast not far apart. Why would the government throw more money to build up a new set of Winter Olympic venues? Simply put they wouldn't. It just makes more sense to invest in Summer Sports right now since Canada currently excels in Winter Sport and we have the training venues both in Vancouver and Calgary.

If Toronto does not submit a bid for 2020, I agree with FutureMayor that the city will definitely bid for 2024. I just think the competition for 2024 will be much more difficult than 2020.

Quebec City won't get an endorsement from the COC for a 2022 Winter Olympics. How dumb would that be considering the last Olympics Canada would have hosted would be the Vancouver "WINTER" Olympics in 2010. How retarded is that!

Marcel Aubut is why Quebec will bid for the 2022 Olympics and be endorsed by the COC.

Now, I know that the Calgary downhill racecourse left a lot to be desired since Premier Pete wanted to build a whole new mountain, but at least it was long enough.

Where does QC put the downhill course? That's, from what I understand, been the whole issue about a QC games from the get-go. Mt. Ste. Anne isn't tall enough -- maybe now with Le Massif? Or do they go hours away to Tremblant?
I don't see that being an issue for Quebec. Le Massif is the same height as Nakiska, where the 1988 skiing events were held, and Mont-Ste-Anne isn't that much shorter. Nakiska has 779 m of vertical while Le Massif has 770 m and Ste-Anne has 625 m. Tremblant is the same size as Ste-Anne.

Istanbul announced today that they'll be entering the bidding race for the 2020 Olympics.
Istanbul could be a sentimental favourite as well - it would be the first Islamic city to host the Olympics.

Last edited:
Marcel Aubut is why Quebec will bid for the 2022 Olympics and be endorsed by the COC.

It would be a total waste of money and make completely no sense. Quebec City won't win.

Does Canada really need 3 sets of Winter Olympic Venues?

If this new guy actually pushes this. I can bet that he will be searching for a new job afterwards.

Istanbul could be a sentimental favourite as well - it would be the first Islamic city to host the Olympics.

Yeah I'm quite interested in an Istanbul Olympic bid.

There past bids weren't the best technically and paled in comparison to the competition.

It would be a total waste of money and make completely no sense. Quebec City won't win.

Does Canada really need 3 sets of Winter Olympic Venues?

If this new guy actually pushes this. I can bet that he will be searching for a new job afterwards.

No he won't. He's a powerful guy with a lot of connections and he let his intentions known that he would support a Quebec City 2022 bid before he even got the job. I don't think we'll win, but he seems intent on trying.

if we have to do this

If a Toronto Olympic bid is going to make any sense, we have to get more bang for our gigabucks than just the international publicity. Nice as it is, the exposure probably didn't do much for Atlanta or Athens that wouldn't have happened without the games. I wonder if we could link new sports facilities, probably at UT Scarborough given the Pan Am investment that is going to go there, to some kind of permanent research/teaching/business infrastructure related to medicine, biomechanics and engineering. Maybe even an upgraded federally funded national institute of high performance sport, if the Ottawa government could ever get over its hatred of Toronto. OK that'll never happen. I don't know if the payback from any of this will justify the enormous cost, but I would suggest the feelgood factor and Sally Field moment for Tdot on NBC won't be sufficient reasons to attempt to host the Olympics.

Back