News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 599     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

If nothing else comes out of these games, at least the region will have become equipped with the venues to train Olympic level athletes, something very lacking in this province. The legacy for kids and existing athletes is going to be the most significant of all.

One thing that strikes me when looking at the venue plan is that some of the out of city venues don't need to be hosted outside Toronto at all. Take this:

This just sounds like Provincial officials trying to be fair to other cities. The goal of hosting the PanAm games isn't to be fair. It's to be efficient. Why are we sending athletes, media and spectators to Ajax to play and watch softball and baseball? Hmm.... was the SkyDome not available? How about one of the dozens and dozens of baseball diamonds in parks all over the city?

The Rogers Centre** seats 51,000 and will host the Ceremonies during the games. That is a lot of seats to fill for all the games. Consider that the ACC will not be used either because the goal is to have full venues. The Organizing Committee sent on letters to all communities in the GTA to see if any had ready to go sites and Ajax was the only one that showed interest (there was some interest in Brampton but nothing came of it).

Also another reason why the Rogers Centre will not be used is because the Jays will be playing there during the games. I believe they aren't allowed but whose going to stop them? The original bid book had Rogers Centre/Richmond Green hosting baseball and softball being at Lakefront West Park in Oshawa.

The Rogers Centre** seats 51,000 and will host the Ceremonies during the games. That is a lot of seats to fill for all the games.

Not like the Jays ever fill the SkyDome....

If I recall, there's a configuration for smaller events where the upper levels are covered. Not having more venues in the city because nobody demonstrated interest just sounds to me like the City hasn't put much effort into the PanAm games as it should have.

There's really no need to use the Skydome - I can't imagine there being any games that would necessitate it being used. It's not like any MLBers will be playing in 2015

Not like the Jays ever fill the SkyDome....

If I recall, there's a configuration for smaller events where the upper levels are covered. Not having more venues in the city because nobody demonstrated interest just sounds to me like the City hasn't put much effort into the PanAm games as it should have.

What do you mean by no interest?

^ When the call went out for Baseball and Softball, the city didn't put forward any candidate sites. Ajax did. With all the baseball diamonds in this city, there had to be one that could fit. These are the Sprawling Games.

^ When the call went out for Baseball and Softball, the city didn't put forward any candidate sites. Ajax did. With all the baseball diamonds in this city, there had to be one that could fit. These are the Sprawling Games.

I don't think Toronto was interested in spending more money. Ajax is spending $5 million.

I don't think Toronto was interested in spending more money. Ajax is spending $5 million.

No no no, see... who cares?? They should fund themselves. Just ask Riverdale Rink Rat

Now you're just being prissy, and a latecomer at that. Go back in this thread and read my opposition to this games, and my declaration that now they're inevitable, I'll enjoy the rugby 7s and see what my daughters want to see. You're getting your 10m tank at UT Scarborough, which I'm 4 or 5 non-student divers will actually be allowed to use (and no students, as they may hurt themselves) and as collateral damage a swimming pool the students will get to use for recreational use. In a better, non-stupid-ass non-Olympic world, we fund a pool at a university because it's a good thing, not spinoff from high priced tomfoolery.

Now you're just being prissy, and a latecomer at that. Go back in this thread and read my opposition to this games, and my declaration that now they're inevitable, I'll enjoy the rugby 7s and see what my daughters want to see. You're getting your 10m tank at UT Scarborough, which I'm 4 or 5 non-student divers will actually be allowed to use (and no students, as they may hurt themselves) and as collateral damage a swimming pool the students will get to use for recreational use. In a better, non-stupid-ass non-Olympic world, we fund a pool at a university because it's a good thing, not spinoff from high priced tomfoolery.

I think people can use it out of the school. Off course at a charge.

I think people can use it out of the school. Off course at a charge.

The pool's not built yet. What UT - Scarborough decides to do about public or student access in the future will hopefully be as community-friendly as possible, but they will do what they want after the Games. Quite frankly, a 10m tower can only be used by very few prople, so that part of the complex will be a bit of a white elephant, but the pool will probably be great for students and public alike.

Exactly. There are aspiring divers who have to go out of province to train but most just give up on the idea or never move beyond the hopeful phase. After this venue is built, you can bet that not only will aspiring divers take up the sport but Toronto will become a training ground for those in adjacent provinces. I'm sure it will get good use.

Exactly. There was no diver from Ontario at the Olympics because there is no where to train. Majority were from Quebec and RIley was from Winnipeg which has the 99 Pan Am dive tank. So this will definitely help.

What a strange thing to say:confused:...sorry but you're way out of touch to competive sports in this country

How many 10m divers are there in the country? How many in Ontario that have to go out of province? I'll bet the number is less than 100 and maybe less than 10. Please use that number to divide the millions of dollars in public money being used to build this diving tank and tell me how much it's going to cost the government to fund a sport which shows up on your, and everyone else in Canada's, radar once every four years.

Y'all are hopin' and prayin'. But, hell, I really don't care if you want to fund a dive tank. Just leave my tax dollars out of it.

Back