News   Jul 18, 2024
 345     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 501     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 850     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

^^ That'd actually be pretty cool. Then the GGH would really have to devote itself to transit. :p

I wonder... if Toronto were to make the 2020 or 2024 olympics, we'd have to do a pretty darn good job of recreating the inclusiveness of Vancouver 2010. If we can advocate the olympics as another nationwide endeavor, it'd help breach the anti-Torontoism that exists throughout the country. Oh, and our torch relay should be longer :D

if Toronto were to make the 2020 or 2024 olympics, we'd have to do a pretty darn good job of recreating the inclusiveness of Vancouver 2010.
Inclusiveness? 6 flag bearers and 5 torch bearers in the opening ceremony ... all 11 were white. I thought that was a bit bizarre, and unnecessary - and certainly not inclusive!

First of all, there were 8 flag bearers not 6.

And yes, all of them were white, but they were all examples of greatness in their chosen field. Who would you have selected and replaced? Off the top of my head I can't think of any minority figure in Canada with a pedigree comparable to the 8 who carried the flag.

And since when is that the only measure of inclusiveness?

First of all, there were 8 flag bearers not 6.
Even worse!

And yes, all of them were white, but they were all examples of greatness in their chosen field. Who would you have selected and replaced? Off the top of my head I can't think of any minority figure in Canada with a pedigree comparable to the 8 who carried the flag.
Just off the top of my head ... Adrianne Clarkson? David Suziki? Donovan Bailey? Lincoln Alexander (though perhaps a bit long in the tooth)? Deepa Mehta? Ferguson Jenkins?

Seemed pretty bizarre to me!

And since when is that the only measure of inclusiveness?
It isn't ... but it's a biggie.

Yes I know 8 is worse than 6. Just pointing out the error.

And I'll give you Suzuki instead of Sutherland and I'd be borderline on Bailey (he's on par with Villeneuve, I'd say). I guess I'll admit those guys could have been involved. The rest that you mentioned would be poor choices in my opinion.

I don't think there's any sort of conspiracy here though and I'm sure Suzuki and Bailey were considered. Perhaps there are reasons we're unaware of for why they weren't selected. It'd be unfair to condemn without knowing what happened behind the scenes.

Perhaps ... the optics do seem odd though.

I'd have thought Suzuki would have been perfect, being from Vancouver ... though I wouldn't be suprised if he wouldn't do it ... or more likely if he's pissed of VANOC, who seem to have little tolerance for open discussion.

I thought having a paralympian carry the flame in was absolutely amazing. I would have rather he lit the flame than even Gretzky. Nothing would have said more about Canada, our compassion and our inclusiveness then giving an athlete in a wheelchair (and one tough SOB at that) the ultimate honour.

Perhaps ... the optics do seem odd though.

I'd have thought Suzuki would have been perfect, being from Vancouver ... though I wouldn't be suprised if he wouldn't do it ... or more likely if he's pissed of VANOC, who seem to have little tolerance for open discussion.
Suzuki would also help a lot to nail in that fact that these are the greenest games ever, and that Vancouver is a very green city (if the rest of the country isn't sliding down a slippery slope.)

I agree, the paralympian was quite an amazing touch. I would have wanted a bit more ethnic diversity though (I was actually wondering myself why there wasn't any diversity in the city that has a minority majority.) I did like the representation of Natives throughout all of the opening though, and the way we have First Nations (and Metis and I think Inuit?) "hosts" for the games. It all screams acceptance and diversity for the city and the country. Any Toronto Olympics should build on that. Probably more ethnic diversity, but a similar representation of all people and a similar, though maybe different angle, type of "Native hosts" preformance. Not the set in stone Pan Am Games, because they're too small and too regionally focused. These'll be the GGH's time to shine by itself (proving itself against the other big North American cities.) Olympics will/would be another Canada-strengthening experience, hopefully after the country as a whole switches out of reverse.

I thought having a paralympian carry the flame in was absolutely amazing. I would have rather he lit the flame than even Gretzky. Nothing would have said more about Canada, our compassion and our inclusiveness then giving an athlete in a wheelchair (and one tough SOB at that) the ultimate honour.

Perhaps a blind black lesbian muslim woman in a wheelchair would have been an ideal choice for nfitz? I mean, if this is all just a matter of adding up the visible signs of diversity....

All madness aside the games have proven themselves to be very inclusive, and colour blind, despite what nfitz or cranky separatists will try and convince you. Measha looked gorgeous, as did Mme. Jean, and KD was handsome. There were lots of French and English and dancing native people who quite frankly deserved olympic medals themselves for the length of time they boogied on that stage! And the Canadian team itself clearly represents all the colours and predilections that make up our glorious country. Chill pills to all.

Perhaps a blind black lesbian muslim woman in a wheelchair would have been an ideal choice for nfitz?
Am I the only one surprised that in a city where you walk the streets, and many are non-white that they rolled out 13 white people?

^Probably. Has it caused you to lose sleep? You poor thing.

I, for one, don't understand the pre-occupation with these sorts of things. I grew up in Scarborough in the 90s and I never really had sight of "colour" where it pertains to people. I'm "white" but for at least a third of the year I'm darker-skinned than a lot of "black" people due to sun exposure (yes, yes, I know this probably isn't healthy). Would I be good enough to carry the flag?

21st century people in a 21st century country aren't bothered by these sorts of things. It's quite old guard and regressive to see differences among people based on such basic and intrinsic human characteristics as skin shade, gender, and sexuality.

Shit, by your metric, I should be pissed off that it was all older folk that carried the flag and torches in! And yes, even Villeneuve is "older folk".

Last edited:
If Toronto got the Olympics...we are already considered the most diverse city on the planet.....why not have a representative of each community that makes up Toronto....based on their major contribution to making this city so great to live in.......based on gender, colour, age, religion, ethnicity, orientation, etc. ..... and they all do something very, very Canadian....something that unites us all in this city and across the country.....everyone light the torch at the same time with those funny little flaming barbeque starters!

Am I the only one surprised that in a city where you walk the streets, and many are non-white that they rolled out 13 white people?

The flag bears etc. were also at least middle-aged! - what about all the young people who were not representated by this tiny part of the Games?

I was actually at the Opening Ceremony (and the first few days of the Games) in Vancouver. I understand what you are saying, and the unrepresentative aspects were not confined to race. However, this impression is not really representative of the wider games. I agree that it is a shame that the TV viewers experience lacked in-your-face-skin-colour-inclusiveness. Attendees get a more "skin colour inclusive" impression as the 2010 Olympics is truly a multi-cultural, celebration that Vancouver has thrown itself into with all its heart and soul. These hearts come in all skin colours, and I am very proud to say that I am an almost-a-new-Canadian.

I don't known if it is even possible, but none of the three main productions/presentations give a true taste of what modern Canada is like (in my experience) - the immigration presentation was clearly illustrative of white European immigrants at Pier 21in the early 20th century and earlier. I loved the celtic influenced music, but it doesn't reflect much of my daily experience in Canada nor of immigration patterns/experience in the city it was being performed in. The prairie section was interesting, but how many Canadians actually walk to the end of their street and out on to the prairie in 2010? The typical Canadian lives in an urban area. Finally, the modern Canada section was thought-provoking, and I didn't dislike it - but it didn't really tell the world much about Canada... It was also true that there strikingly wasn't much French spoken - even many public announcements in the venues etc. were only in English, even though many of the visitors who don't understand English would understand French. We were there in the early days of the games, so maybe that will change because it might be a violation of some Federal law.
The conclusion I came to was that the Opening Ceremony would not have been produced that way if it occurred in Toronto. However, it is happening in Vancouver. I never heard a single Vancouverite remark on the colour of the flag bearers etc. (they do complain about not being able to get tickets and the closing of certain streets in Downtown Vancouver.) Maybe Vancouverites have managed to move past skin colour, and that is a good, healthy thing... Does every big event in Canada have to constantly re-return to the visually obvious point that Canadians aren't all the same colour and that they speak different languages?

At the same time:
There has been a huge effort to involve the other host nations (two First Nations groups, Innuit, and Metis) I learned a huge amount about these cultures. As part of the Cultural Olympic celebrations there are a large number of "houses" hosted by various countries and organisations. Arguably, the most successful one is the Northern House which presented artifacts from the Northern Territories, inspirationally curated and staffed by Youth Ambassadors from the Northern Territories/Provinces. These young people were a credit to their communities and Canada.
Finally, the Olympic volunteers, who visitors constantly come in contact with, are amazing and represent every race and creed (and presumably sexual orientation, but I didn't feel the need to ask :) ). Most are from the area, but I met volunteers from the GTA also. They are friendly, helpful and efficiently jollied people along in crowded lines in the pouring rain and through onerous security checks at the entrance to everything. The volunteers are the true human face to the games and because of them, visitors leave with nothing but a positive impression of Vancouver and Canada.
The organisers of the Games in general are putting on a fabulously organised event, and any Canadian there can't help but feel proud to be Canadian. The whole thing is so cool!

-AmJ

If Toronto got the Olympics...we are already considered the most diverse city on the planet.....why not have a representative of each community that makes up Toronto....based on their major contribution to making this city so great to live in.......based on gender, colour, age, religion, ethnicity, orientation, etc. ..... and they all do something very, very Canadian....something that unites us all in this city and across the country.....everyone light the torch at the same time with those funny little flaming barbeque starters!

Why turn a Toronto games into a vacuous Disney/Epcot-type propaganda piece? The flag bearers in Vancouvers were people who have achieved extraordinary things or who represent a somewhat iconic status to all Canadian and this has nothing to do with race (an astronaut, Terry Fox's mother, a singer who forged a huge international career when this was inconceivable to Canadians and who managed to do it while remaining in Canada!) None of this has anything to do with race or colour, and to chose people and judge their accomplishments based on this is only to pander to those things. Canada's diverse multicultural population is fairly new, relatively speaking and in any meaningful way. In terms of years it represents little more than a generation in terms of Canada's history. Given time we will naturally start to see more diversity in the colour/gender/age of Canadians achieving the kind of extraordinary accomplishments the Vancouver flag bearers represent. This will be far more meaningful and real than forcing the issue and picking people because of the optics.

I, for one, don't understand the pre-occupation with these sorts of things. I grew up in Scarborough in the 90s and I never really had sight of "colour" where it pertains to people. I'm "white" but for at least a third of the year I'm darker-skinned than a lot of "black" people due to sun exposure (yes, yes, I know this probably isn't healthy). Would I be good enough to carry the flag?

21st century people in a 21st century country aren't bothered by these sorts of things. It's quite old guard and regressive to see differences among people based on such basic and intrinsic human characteristics as skin shade, gender, and sexuality.

I thought each of the flag and torch bearers was a good choice. I did notice that they were all white, though.

It's much easier to be 'colour blind' when you're part of the majority. If you constantly see people who look like you represented in the media and in positions of power, you will never understand this longing for representation. You'd have to move somewhere where you were the minority to get it.

I don't doubt that the diversity of Canadians will become more obvious on all levels in the years to come. This is inevitable. It's just hard to be patient.

Back