News   Jul 18, 2024
 429     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 589     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 904     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

What you get out of the games (any games) is relative to what you put into them.

My guess is that Winnipeg knew, both times, that they would still be Winnipeg after the games so they invested modestly/conservatively. Rio, on the other hand, had Olympic aspirations and invested in over the top (relative to Pan Ams) and took the gamble that they would land the Olympics.....it worked but it could backfire.

Victoria took a "Winnipeg" type approach to the Commonwealth Games and built, mostly, temporary facilities and hosted nice games but with little legacy. Compare that to Edmonton who have Canada's largest outdoor stadium (30 years over) left over after their experience with the same games.

There are tons of examples of, both, modestly hosted games and more extravgently.....there is no set one way to do any of these things.

Toronto Benefits

I believe Toronto will get many great benefits in terms of infrastructure and faclities because of the Pan Am Games.

Last edited:
I believe Toronto will get many great benefits in terms of infrastructure and faclitiies because of the Pan Am Games.

i believe the tax payers and property owner in Toronto will get fucked over very bad after this 2 week event , events like this are a waste of time and tax payers money , this only works when the people running this city know how to manage money responsibly

i believe the tax payers and property owner in Toronto will get fucked over very bad after this 2 week event , events like this are a waste of time and tax payers money , this only works when the people running this city know how to manage money responsibly

which in itself is an oxymoron...

when was the last time you heard of an individual spending other people's money wisely? :D

You figure they would at least build some subways... instead of those moving stop signs they call 'transit'.

New renderings for the Pan American stadium and Velodrome, you can see a special GO Train stop right next to the warm up track...

stadiumvel.jpg

stadium2.jpg

^Where did you get those pictures? I would be interested in going to the site to see if there is any explanation of why the two stadium renderings are so dramatically different?

On the one with the GO station that you point to, the stadium appears to have cobered two tiered seating on one side, no seating on the other side and "embankment" seating on one end with nothing at the scoreboard (railine end) end of the stadium.

The close up of the stadium, however, has covered two tier seating on both sides and single tier seating at both ends and around the corners....do you know which one they are proposing to build?

The first rendering is what Hamilton will get with already approved funding. The second rendering is what the City wants to build, double the size of the stadium for the Ti-Cats. The City will need to get $50 million to do so. Bob Young, Ti-Cats owner, has already said he'll financially support the stadium and naming rights should help get a few millions more. Bob Young also wants a USL franchise for Hamilton with this new stadium.

The renderings is from the business case that will be available to the public on Feb 18th. Guess you got a sneak peek.

The first rendering is what Hamilton will get with already approved funding. The second rendering is what the City wants to build, double the size of the stadium for the Ti-Cats. The City will need to get $50 million to do so. Bob Young, Ti-Cats owner, has already said he'll financially support the stadium and naming rights should help get a few millions more. Bob Young also wants a USL franchise for Hamilton with this new stadium.

The renderings is from the business case that will be available to the public on Feb 18th. Guess you got a sneak peek.

Thanks.....either one of those stadiums, though, would be vast overkill for a USL team.

Bob Young already owns a USL franchise so it wouldn't be difficult for him to obtain a team.

Bob Young already owns a USL franchise so it wouldn't be difficult for him to obtain a team.

I am sure it wouldn't but either of those stadiums are too big for USL and with the track between the seats and the pitch it will create a horrible atmosphere for soccer.

Which team does he own? Are they one of the ones that stayed in the USL or one of the ones that went to the NASL with Montreal, Vancouver and others?

Obviously they'll close off the upper bowl for the USL. Basically what the Argos do with Skydome.

He's part owner of the Carolina Railhawks. Red Hat, Inc has its corporate headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Obviously they'll close off the upper bowl for the USL. Basically what the Argos do with Skydome.

He's part owner of the Carolina Railhawks. Red Hat, Inc has its corporate headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Thanks.....but in a league that averaged 4,700 (or so) in 2009.......it doesn't matter what you close off....the atmosphere in a building that size will be awful!.....keep in mind that 4,700 includes teams that are either no longer in the league (like Montreal @ an average of 12,000) or soon will be gone (like Portland who averaged 9,700)....the teams left behind in the USL have much lower attendances.....btw. I have not heard of Young's interest since the USL split into two......do you know if he is still interested in USL or if he has moved his interest to the NASL?

ugh... haven't we gone over this enough? Canada is never going to get a World Cup. Not only that but the US will never go in on a World Cup with Canada. There are dozens of posts on this forum about this issue (and within this very thread), and it's getting exhausting to see people still bring it up.
Can we get this through our collective heads once and for all?

Back