News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Interesting highlights of the Toronto 2015 PanAm Games

I've read the Bid Book in its entirety and found some highlights that I'd like to share.

These are direct quotes from the book unless otherwise italicized. My entries in italic are conclusions drawn from the book or learned from other sources.

- The construction of a rail link between Pearson Airport and downtown Toronto is a top priority within the regional transit plan, and will be completed by 2015. (...)

A fixed-rail link from the airport to downtown Toronto – the location of the Pan American Village, Media Centre, Host Hotel and many sport and cultural venues – will be in operation by the start of the Games (construction slated to begin in 2009).

- Nathan Philips Square will become the "Festival site". This insures that the winning PLANT design for NPS revitalization is complete before July 2014.
Victory celebrations will be held daily at Nathan Phillips Square – Toronto’s civic square situated on the grounds of the futuristic Toronto City Hall.

- Beginning a year before the games, the Toronto 2015 cultural festival will showcase artists and performers from throughout the western hemisphere. The festival will peak with the athlete-friendly opening and Closing Ceremonies staged at the Rogers Centre.

- The bid book refers to Union Station as the main node of transportation for athletes to and from regional venues. Landing the games just gave a jump start (and a deadline) to the Union station renovations currently planned and under construction: train shed and platform, concourse, Front St. reconfiguration and rebuilding from York to Bay, exterior restoration and the second subway platform. Construction has already begun and cannot be ongoing during the games, therefore it must be complete before 2015.

- Currently, the TTC operates 68 km of subway line, with the construction of an additional 15 km recently approved. Some bus and streetcar routes offer 24-hour service. In addition, work to develop a network of seven new Light Rail Transit (LRT) lines throughout Toronto is underway.

- The Toronto region Transportation system in 2015: The Government of Ontario is committed to investing in public transit. It has already dedicated $11.5 billion as part of its MoveOntario 2020 initiative – the largest public-transit investment in Canadian history. In 2008, $750 million was invested to expand transit fleets and continue transit service improvements.
Metrolinx, the regional transportation authority, is following its regional transportation plan for the Greater Toronto Area and working with municipalities and transit agencies to create a seamless and fully integrated transportation and transit network with extensions to the existing rail system that will put new stations in close proximity to sport venues.

- Toronto 2015 will offer a Games Bike Share (GBS) program which will provide bicycles at all Games venues for use by accredited individuals. The shared bicycles will allow Pan American Village residents the opportunity to use the City of Toronto’s bikeways which, by 2015 will cover 1,004 kms.

- The Pan American Village will feature buildings that will meet LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). The overall Village design will also be an excellent candidate for participa- tion in the LEED ND (Neighbourhood Design) program which looks beyond energy-efficient buildings to community-scale characteristics such as development density and proximity, walkable streets, affordability, community involvement and diverse local uses.

- The Village Legacy: The Pan American Village will create a new community on Toronto’s waterfront, a community that is economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. it will address a number of public policy objectives, including the reduction of urban sprawl, creation of new affordable housing and community sports facilities, enhanced access to public transit and reduction of the environmental impact of development.

- The Pan American Village will not simply be a routine collection of average buildings.
A panel of Canada’s leading architects, landscape designers, engineers and academics has provided advice and guidance in selecting and directing the designers involved in planning the overall waterfront development project of which the Pan American Village is an important element. This design review panel vets all buildings, parks and public realm projects to be constructed on the waterfront.

- Between 2009 and 2015, anticipated hotel construction will increase the guest room inventory to meet the needs of Toronto’s growing tourism sector. The incentive of the 2015 Pan American Games will only enhance that growth. Current projections anticipate that new hotels will provide an additional 2,500 available rooms, primarily in the three, four and five-star categories.

- The Renaissance Toronto Hotel (at the Rogers Centre) will be renovated to become a designated Media Hotel. Other designated Media hotels are the InterContinental (Metro Convention Centre) and the Westin Harbour Castle. All three have agreed to renovations and enhancements to meet PASO standards.

- Road Cycling will begin at Exhibition Place, trail along the waterfront, and make its way through Toronto's neighbourhoods and back to the Ex.

- Canadian Sport Institute / Ontario & Pan American Aquatics Centre - University of Toronto: This venue will be the most powerful and multi-faceted element of the Toronto 2015 sport venue legacy. This multi-sport centre will provide interdisciplinary training, sport science, state-of-the-art equipment, sport medicine and advanced coaching to athletes striving to improve their performance and competitive results.
The Centre will house a 14,000 m2 (150,000 ft2) field house and accommodate all the testing and training facilities that athletes need to achieve their greatest potential. The CSIO will become the preeminent national training centre for summer sport in Canada. University students and Toronto residents will also have access to the facility, providing participants of all skill levels with opportunities to develop their abilities.

The Pan American Aquatics Centre, co-located with the CSIO, features a dive tank and twin 10-lane, 50m pools. The Centre will become the premier aquatics facility in Canada and create a new capacity for hosting national and international competitive events with space for up to 10,000 spectator seats.

- Pan american field hockey Centre - University of Toronto: The Pan American Field Hockey Centre is a new development that will provide a key sport infrastructure legacy to the community which will assist in building the profile of field hockey in the province.
As Ontario’s first dedicated international field hockey venue, including two fields meeting international specifications, it will become a centre of excellence for the national and provincial teams as well as provide a dedicated site that will host all levels of the game from international events to grass root leagues and tournaments.
panamericanfieldhockeyc.png

- Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport - University of Toronto: Another new build at UofT that will remain as part of the university's growing world class sports facilities. It'll be built on a parking lot adjacent to Varsity Stadium.
goldringcentreforhighpe.png

- PanAm BMX Course -
A new legacy development as part of the Games, the Pan American BMX Course at Ontario Place will be designed to create a challenging course with thrilling jumps, banked curves and obstacles.
This is a new build and will remain after the games. This venue is expected to become a national training centre and provide a venue to host national and international competitions.

It'll be built on one of the parking lots that now make Ontario Place feel isolated. The new BMX course will drive the rejuvination of Ontario Place. We'll probably hear some announcements to that effect in the months to come.
bmxcourse.png

- Beach Volleyball at Exhibition Place (temporary facility):
beachvolley.png

In the end, I think many people -- including myself -- have underestimated the incredible benefits that Toronto will derive from this win.

This will be a game changer for our city. It'll put us into a higher gear for five years straight, making it likely that we'll stay there long after the Games have ended.

Last edited:
Wow, you just got me pretty excited, Metroman... You could say that I'm pitching a temporary event tent of my own in anticipation!;)

Honestly folks the Pan-Am games are a consolation prize. A city of Toronto's calibre should be hosting major events like the Olympic games or FIFA World Cup. Now that would put the city on the map. Does anybody really care about Pan-Am games and athletes? Name one Canadian who won Gold at the last Pan-Am games? Though legacy projects are good, the Pan-Am games should not be the impetus to spend billion of dollars on LRT lines nobody is going to use. I fear the only legacy will be more debt and an over-hyped event nobody is going to attend, except maybe beach vollyball. Good Luck TO, you're gonna need it.

Honestly folks the Pan-Am games are a consolation prize. A city of Toronto's calibre should be hosting major events like the Olympic games or FIFA World Cup. Now that would put the city on the map. Does anybody really care about Pan-Am games and athletes? Name one Canadian who won Gold at the last Pan-Am games? Though legacy projects are good, the Pan-Am games should not be the impetus to spend billion of dollars on LRT lines nobody is going to use. I fear the only legacy will be more debt and an over-hyped event nobody is going to attend, except maybe beach vollyball. Good Luck TO, you're gonna need it.

No one is expecting this to put the city on the map. However, it is a reason for the various levels of government to provide much needed infrastructure investments. I believe all of the LRT lines are part of Transit City and will continue to be well used after the games are over.

Thanks Metroman. I've had a chance to read through most of it, and I like most of what I see.

Personally, I think one of the best opportunities for the city might not necessarily be the Pan-Ams but the Cultural Festival they are planning to go along with it. From a tourism perspective, you can sell that globally. It might be harder to get people from Europe/Asia interested in a sporting event that their country is not a part of (though they should still try to market it there because people always love an excuse to see a new place) but a cultural festival is very marketable to everyone. It's a smart move.

The reality of these events is that you only get what you put in and if you make the event seem like a big deal it can be a big deal. For example, look at the World Junior Hockey Championships, which ranks as maybe the 5th most important hockey event after the Stanley Cup, World Championships, Olympics and World Cup. Canada is the only country in the world that cares about it. Yes, hockey fans in the US, Sweden, Finland Czech Republic and Russia will be interested, but in Canada the country comes to a standstill and most of TSN's most watched shows in its history are World Junior Finals. ya, it's hockey, and we're obsessed with it, but prior to the early 90s, no one really cared about the World Jrs. TSN invested the time and money and hyped it to the point that today it's a beast of an event that makes millions with sponsors that are internationally renown. It just goes to show that if you provide an event with a lot of attention and a reason for people to get excited, it can become much greater. If a 5th rate hockey event can do that, I don't see why a second rate Athletics Event can't.

Isn't World Pride going to be the same year? I imagine there will be synergies.

Hey, the PanAm Games may not be a cadillac event but it looks like the city is spinning it into something bigger including a cultural festival and so on, and if the sum result of all of this is shovels in the ground and funding to fast-track infrastructure and urban development then I'm on board. Here's to some good news!!

Not bad! Though I think it'll be more like....

Ron Lancaster Field at Lakeport Stadium

Labatt owns Lakeport and that would keep a local connection in Hamilton. Plus Lakeport Stadium doesn't sound bad at all, it's perfect really for a waterfront stadium.

Let's try and be honest in any debate....

.....everyone is entitled to their own opinions but let's keep honesty foremost in debate.

I am getting at the anti-games positions that I have heard that go like this "opposed because these are minor games that no one watches or cares about and we should not put our city through the logistical and traffic chaos they will produce"

If no one watches there will be no chaos....reminds me of a Yogi Berra quote when asked about a popular nightclub "No one goes there any more, it's too crowded".

At any rate, it way too late to be complaining about hosting the Pan Ams.

Two problems with this:

1. we have tried to host Olympics and lost twice. There really is not an Olympics in site that we can reasonably expect to win. So are we as a city supposed to sit out hosting anything because we can't get, for whatever reason(s), the Olympics?

2. I am getting a bit tired of having to point this out, but World Cups are not hosted by cities they are hosted by countries.....and while Toronto may be a large city by world standards, Canada is a small country by world soccer standards. Where are the 8 - 12 (the more the better for a WC bid) soccer specific stadiums of 40,000 + going to be built? Which of those are going to be the 4 that would need to have 60k+ seats to be able to have the semi finals and finals.

No one needs reminding that the Pan Ams are smaller than, either, an Olympics or a WC.....but should we just do nothing if we can't host (or participate in hosting) either of these two?

You could argue that the games are too costly for the benefit they provide but I think those making the "this is too small an event for Toronto" need to recognize that the base-line level of sporting infrastructure in this city, from community level to world events is not high. Think of it as parallel to the build up of cultural infrastructure over the last 5-years. I think this event provides a catalyst and time-line to re-think sport in this city and improve our infrastructure. We will hopefully come out as a better city for sport and one where people participate and have a better appreciation for excellence in sport. This is a real worthwhile legacy. I have never been to an olympic city where the glitzy architectural landmark stadium doesn't sit derelict and abandoned 10 years later.

Even the Olympics are over-hyped a great deal and don't mean much beyond infrastructure improvements and hometown pride in the longer term. The costs of hosting it are a bit high for a morale booster, so really the financial part usually comes down to improved infrastructure.

So yea, the Pan Am games aren't the end-all, be-all. But for anyone to be so negative to the point where they don't think it means anything is being way out to lunch on this issue... Having the Pan Am games, for a city the size of Toronto, simply looks good on a resume being handed to the IOC.

Back