News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 897     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

The DRL is now a likely priority as it would pass through the Athlete's Village in the West Donland's

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it would almost certainly take longer than the PanAm time frame to build a DRL, starting with the Environmental Assessment, moving on to land acquisition, detailed engineering, etc. Even on any fast-track basis, it's not do-able.

In any case, the Athletes Village will not be a transit "destination". The athletes won't be travelling to their competition venues by subway. Few people other than the athletes will be at the village.

The effects of this will be primarily new athletics infrastructure. We'll get a badly needed Olympic-sized pool. They will be celebrating down the road in Hamilton as well, as they'll get the track and field centre.

There's a big difference between 9 years and 5 years. With 9 years you can use the Pan-Ams as a success story. With 5, the best you can say is "things are on schedule". Plus it's harder to do because you essentially need to be getting a start on building your olympic infrastructure 5 years prior and if you're focused on another international event in the middle of it all, it makes it difficult logistically to manage both (do you stop construction? are you planning on retrofitting Pan-Am infrastructure? etc...)

As much as I'd like to see Toronto 2020, we'll be working against time, and a 2024 bid would seem much more likely (and would follow in Rio's footsteps...). Also, that's if the Americans don't get 2020... which is a huge risk for us, because if the US gets it in 2020, we won't see another realistic chance until maybe 2036.

I don't think those concerns are really that credible. If Toronto wants to host an Olympic Games at some point soon, it will likely have to do so in 2020.

I agree they need to go for 2020, it's just a lot harder to do while you're planning another big event.

Actually, eff that. If Brazil can host a World Cup and an Olympics within two years of eachother, why the hell can't we host two very similar events 5 years apart?

It's going to take some drive and balls to do it, but I'm on board.

The Federal, Provincial and City coffers are bare. And we the tax payer are going to get stung for this entire stupid event that no one watches or cares about.

This is the dumbest thing the City ever did.

I can only imagine the total chaos and disaster this is going to be.

All paid for by you and me. For nothing.

Oi.

I agree they need to go for 2020, it's just a lot harder to do while you're planning another big event.

Actually, eff that. If Brazil can host a World Cup and an Olympics within two years of eachother, why the hell can't we host two very similar events 5 years apart?

It's going to take some drive and balls to do it, but I'm on board.

Exactly. We'll be well on our way to developing many of the necessary venues for the Olympics since the PanAm games venues are being built to IOC standards.

We'll have to expand the Athlete's village, build a track and field stadium and a velodrome and we're set.

I really hope the Canadian Olympic Committee puts forth a Toronto bid for 2020. We'll be mostly up against Chicago who will no doubt be the US bidding city. I think we stand a very good chance of landing the Games.

If for some reason we don't bid for 2020 and Chicago by some miracle doesn't get it, then 2024 is ours for the taking.

The Federal, Provincial and City coffers are bare. And we the tax payer are going to get stung for this entire stupid event that no one watches or cares about.

This is the dumbest thing the City ever did.

I can only imagine the total chaos and disaster this is going to be.

All paid for by you and me. For nothing.

Oi.

That's your opinion... and many read it and think of how shallow your thoughts are.

Developing athletic infrastructure is not only a recreational endeavour. It has immense health benefits. The generation being born into a Toronto with these venues will be ushered into an athlete importance mentality. We'll have a healthier population as a result, hence less of a burden on our healthcare system.

That is just to name one of the major benefits. The halo effect that these games will bring to projects in transportation, public infrastructure and yes: beautification of our public domain is incalculable.

We'd be spending this money anyway over the next 10 to 15 years. Instead, we're spending it all at once.

You could join the few bah-hum-bugs in the corner while everybody else is celebrating a vibrant Toronto full of tourists from all over the Western hemisphere, enjoying our city beyond the games (restaurants, bars, hotels, shopping, and so on).

^ I'd like to point out that while being an atheist, I'll never forget the atmosphere of World Youth Day (a week) where hundreds of thousands of youth filled the city with new faces from around the world. Everybody I know felt the positive energy that was created around the event despite the major transit interruptions and the "Holy Shit" incident @ IDOMO. Many people I know made new friends

Now imagine the entire Western Hemisphere doing the same for 2 weeks on a July in 2015.

when we were trying to get the olympics, there was talk about having to make the whole TTC accessible by the time the olympics would start in toronto. then we lost the olympics and we lost that chance. will they have to make the entire TTC accessible by the time the pan american games start?

A wise prophet once proclaimed that Toronto would keep trying and failing to host a sporting event for all eternity.
Thank goodness we finally won one of these international sporting events. Once it's over we'll never again have to hear about the bids, failing bids, re-bids, etc.

Of course until we get the Olympics, the 'event' folks won't be happy.

Well, there's the Parapan games happening from August 7 to 14th, 2015. I would assume it would be made a priority again.

Nonetheless, I've noticed improvements all over the system. I think it's an ongoing project, perhaps until now without a set deadline.

I don't rely on a wheel chair but I often carry a heavy dolly cart with equipment and I've noticed more ramps and elevators appearing throughout the TTC.

Thanks for the updates Metroman. Where did you hear the CN Tower base plan will be fast tracked?

I don't know if I'd want to get the Olympics too. New infrastructure is great, but I wouldn't want the plan for the waterfront to be compromised.

Well, there's the Parapan games happening from August 7 to 14th, 2015. I would assume it would be made a priority again.

Nonetheless, I've noticed improvements all over the system. I think it's an ongoing project, perhaps until now without a set deadline.

I don't rely on a wheel chair but I often carry a heavy dolly cart with equipment and I've noticed more ramps and elevators appearing throughout the TTC.

hopefully.

Thanks for the updates Metroman. Where did you hear the CN Tower base plan will be fast tracked?

My brother works in security at the CN Tower. It's info deriving from the "grapevine" but still reliable. The renovations of the base and its plaza were to begin in the spring of 2010 anyway but any dithering or delays will be eliminated because now there's a deadline.

Construction was estimated to last 20 months so we will probably see it complete by 2012/2013.

The base of the CN Tower will be a major gathering point during the games because of the ceremonies and sports being held at the SkyDome and the ACC. It'll be the CN Tower's chance to showcase their new plaza and base.

Last edited:

Back