News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 863     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 349     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

^ I was merely speaking to Toronto's qualities as a city. Not its ability to host and organize events. Wyliepoon made Bogota sound better than Toronto because it was improving itself, whereas in reality Toronto already is what Bogota is striving to become.

I would say that any city that needs to pepper spray a visiting football squad to prevent it from meeting their fans still has a few rough edges.

Incidentally, this year's FIFA Under-20s were held in Cairo which did a pretty good job as host - notwithstanding the mediocre standard of the participating teams. The next FIFA U-20s will be held in Colombia in 2011.

When cities like Cairo are organizing world class events, it will be increasingly difficult in future for cities like Toronto to succeed as host.

Having attended a number of global level sporting events hosted by "third world" countries, Torontonians could usefully be a bit more modest on their organizational abilities and commitment to sports. Arrogance is not a becoming characteristic.

Are you positive on those hosting locations? Cairo is a city.....FIFA awards its events to countries....Toronto was not the host of the FIFA under 20's...Canada was and Toronto was one of the cities (6 I think) that hosted games.

Small point, I know, but it goes to our ability to host major sporting events.....we have next to zero experience (I think the biggest thing....and it ain't that big.....that we have ever hosted was the FIBA world basketball tournament back when).

If this is true and can be proven, the other bid delegations can sue the hell out of the IOC for unfairly giving the games to Beijing, thus having the other bidding cities lose out on potential revenue, bid proposal capital and so on.

If it's true, Toronto should be given 2020 by default.
More like Toronto would have grease even more palms to get 2020 (or whenever).
We know the IOC is all about politics but this is blatant corruption.
And that will change......when? If anything, it will only get worse. The IOC will never reform.

The best way to deal with the plague that is the IOC is to permanently avoid it.

Are you positive on those hosting locations? Cairo is a city.....FIFA awards its events to countries....Toronto was not the host of the FIFA under 20's...Canada was and Toronto was one of the cities (6 I think) that hosted games.

Indeed, Egypt was the host with games played in Alexandria, Ismailiya, Suez, Port Said as well as Cairo.

Vote trading is very common in a number of international organizations. IOC is by no means unique. This is why it was double suicide to go at the same time for a Canadian city as venue for the 2008 Games as well as a Canadian for IOC President. Dick Pound probably would have had a better chance for IOC head without the Toronto bid. But, as the article suggests, the European Union members will generally vote for a EU country candidate - again a common practice.

This is the way the game is played. Everybody involved knows it. Lest you feel that is wrong, remember in these organizations Canada generally benefits from being a Commonwealth country and a member of la Francophonie and can generally count on a fair number of votes from here if it decides to play for real.

Today we have yet another article in one of the local rags (this time, The Star) tying transit expansions to this bid. A generation ago, backers were doing the same sort of thing to boost the (failed) '96 Olympic bid.

I have nothing against inviting the world here for the Pan Ams, the Olympics, for Pride 2014, for whatever. And I of course have nothing against much needed infrastrucure improvements. Just don't transit impovements to parties. We need transit expansions for ourselves, not just for a two week junket. And we need the transit expansions now.

This approach to wooing support for the bid just pisses me off.

TonyV - this isn't unique to Toronto. It goes hand in hand with every large sporting event. It's simply the nature of the beast. Besides we have a couple things like MoveOntario 2020 and Transit city that are large-scale projects that were being worked on and planned for without a Pan Am Games. So I think you're being a little exaggerated in this case.

Today we have yet another article in one of the local rags (this time, The Star) tying transit expansions to this bid. A generation ago, backers were doing the same sort of thing to boost the (failed) '96 Olympic bid.

I have nothing against inviting the world here for the Pan Ams, the Olympics, for Pride 2014, for whatever. And I of course have nothing against much needed infrastrucure improvements. Just don't transit impovements to parties. We need transit expansions for ourselves, not just for a two week junket. And we need the transit expansions now.

This approach to wooing support for the bid just pisses me off.

I know what you mean, but other approaches don't seem to work. It seems a major event with a lot of international visitors is needed to shame the government into properly funding transit. I hope Toronto gets the PAG and milks it for all it's worth.

I know what you mean, but other approaches don't seem to work. It seems a major event with a lot of international visitors is needed to shame the government into properly funding transit. I hope Toronto gets the PAG and milks it for all it's worth.
There's not much that's being planned just because we get the games ... perhaps the Scarborough-Malvern RT ... but it's on the books anyway, it just speeds it up (perhaps unfairly, as Don Mills is probably more worthy ... but unfunded).

The other projects (Spadina subway extension, Airport train, GO improvements, Sheppard East RT, Finch RT) are already planned for completion just before then ... this will merely help keep the pressure on everyone to keep to the straight and narrow, and get it done.

We've seen the same in London, where there has been pressure to get various projects done by 2012; and apart from the Olympic Javelin service, all are permanent ... perhaps in the end, the only left-over infrastructure will be a couple of platforms at Stratford.

... perhaps in the end, the only left-over infrastructure will be a couple of platforms at Stratford.

Well, I think the Electrification of the GO Lakeshore West line will be a good left-over.

...it's too bad they coulnd't fast-track any other projects, ie: Eglinton LRT

There's not much that's being planned just because we get the games ... perhaps the Scarborough-Malvern RT ... but it's on the books anyway, it just speeds it up (perhaps unfairly, as Don Mills is probably more worthy ... but unfunded).

The other projects (Spadina subway extension, Airport train, GO improvements, Sheppard East RT, Finch RT) are already planned for completion just before then ... this will merely help keep the pressure on everyone to keep to the straight and narrow, and get it done.

We've seen the same in London, where there has been pressure to get various projects done by 2012; and apart from the Olympic Javelin service, all are permanent ... perhaps in the end, the only left-over infrastructure will be a couple of platforms at Stratford.

True, but I could see some other things possibly happening (perhaps some subway expansion if we're lucky, or at least having Transit City expedited).

Regardless of the merit for tying Transit City's schedule to the Pan Am Games...

... We'll find out it in just 2 days! :D

Back