News   Jul 12, 2024
 978     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

C'mon now!!! Chicago had a solid bid. Is a first round exit justifiable?

The other bids were solid as well. Rio's was probably the weakest but since it passed the technical evaluations and South America has never hosted I think that caused it to win. One of the four had to be first eliminated. If Tokyo was eliminated first would you be saying the IOC has something against Japan's olympic committee? Based on the fact that in the second and third vote virtually no new votes went to Tokyo or Madrid it seems even those who supported Chicago and Tokyo in the first round had a strong desire to see the Olympics in Rio. I don't think Oprah or Obama being there helped either. Lets face it that people are tired of Americans calling their leader the "leader of the free world" and don't like the idea of some American celeb showing up thinking it will buy their votes.

There will probably be more cities vying for the 2020 Olympics than ever before.

One has to believe Chicago did not have the right strategy for getting out the votes - hard to believe that Chicago could not do this but global IOC politics is very different from Chicago ward politics.

It was clear that the battle would be between Rio and Chicago but it was just as clear that Chicago had to get through the first round and this was not a forgone conclusion. IOC members tend to honour regional loyalties in the first round and then start switching in subsequent rounds. Chicago had no natural constituency. Rio had Latams. Madrid had the Euros. Tokyo had the Asians. Africa would split. All that Chicago seems to have had were Canada and the Caribbeans - not enough.

In any case, it's high time these events started going to countries and cities that actually want them and are willing to make the financial commitment. Unfortunately this means that after Vancouver, we are unlikely to see the Olympics in our part of the world for a long, long time. But there are lots of places in Europe, Asia and Latin America that can put on a good show.

Given that we haven't stopped whinging about Montreal for thirty years - a generation and a half, we should be able to ride Vancouver up to the 2050s. And Toronto should get a good 20 or 30 years of grousing about the PanAm Games, which I'm sure we will get. Meanwhile we can keep busy counting all the money we are saving and celebrating that our commuter trains don't arrive 2 minutes late.

Uhh... did you forget about Calgary 88? Also, Vancouver is very much a Vancouver games, not necessarily a "Canada" games. Anyone from Toronto->East can get to London almost as quickly as they can get to Vancouver. Just because Vancouver is hosting the games, doesn't mean the rest of the country feels like a host. I know I don't.

Also, wouldn't a bid signify that a place wants them? You wouldn't go through the process and the cost if you didn't want them. Also, you can't ignore the commercial aspects of holding a games in North America. And I don't think you can argue that the people of one city want it more than another. It's impossible to quantify without some sort of referendum and in many places that you believe "wants" the Olympics, there just isn't the level of democratic rights that we have here. There will always be people for or against holding a multi-billion dollar event. It's really just a matter of political will, which any successful bid is going to have.

Lets remember too, the states may not bid for 2020 depending on if they get the 2018 or 2022 World Cup. Also, this is the longest period in Olympic history we have gone without a games in North America since 1932-1968. 2020 will be a very interesting bidding session, especially if the 2018 WOG goes to China or South Korea.

I hate to make an on-topic post ...

... but when IS the voting date for the 2015 Pan-Am games? I've looked around, but it's all very vague.

Nov 6 indeed. I'll be watching, almost in a pretentious prediction that we will be selected. Victory won't taste as good as if we were competing for the Olympics and didn't know we have an almost 100% chance of winning the bid.

With this win, I hope that the McGuinty government fixes its fumble for screwing over Toronto in a last minute drop out of the World Fair which was ours already -- according to many unnamed sources within the BIE -- we just didn't bid because of political grandstanding. We were used as a pawn of the province against the feds and the bluff didn't work. All of the work towards the bid and the infrastructure and tourism benefits were lost.

We should bid for the world fair or at the very least organize our own Canadian-wide Expo after the PanAm games. Call it a juiced up CNE with every province creating their own pavilion representing them and introducing their province to other Canadians coming from around the country. This would be our opportunity to redevelop the Exhibition lands.

The 2020 Olympics is a must. It's an opportunity we can't miss. It'll be us against which ever US city bids. I think our chances as a 3rd time bidder are very very good, with the best technical bids in both previous bids, with a US time zone and without the US price and as a country who hasn't hosted the summer games in decades.

The COC isn't stupid. I think a bid will be put forth. It's just a matter of working on it as hard as we did for TO2008, which was brilliant and started the trend of a dense Olympic area with all the venues being in close proximity to one another.

TO2020. :)

Last edited:
The other bids were solid as well. Rio's was probably the weakest but since it passed the technical evaluations and South America has never hosted I think that caused it to win. One of the four had to be first eliminated. If Tokyo was eliminated first would you be saying the IOC has something against Japan's olympic committee? Based on the fact that in the second and third vote virtually no new votes went to Tokyo or Madrid it seems even those who supported Chicago and Tokyo in the first round had a strong desire to see the Olympics in Rio. I don't think Oprah or Obama being there helped either. Lets face it that people are tired of Americans calling their leader the "leader of the free world" and don't like the idea of some American celeb showing up thinking it will buy their votes.

There will probably be more cities vying for the 2020 Olympics than ever before.

No, because the 2016 Olympics were never going back to Asia so soon after Beijing.

North America hasn't hosted the Summer Olympics since 1996. That's what made Chicago very favorable and also their bid was technically strong, probably #1 or #2 best out of the bunch.

I think it's interesting that technically strong bids rarely seem to win. Not that the statement is based on fact because for a long time they didn't rank and score bids, but it seems like external factors always play a bigger or at least as big of a role as the technical aspects. I think in a way this is good because it certainly enables more countries to participate (whether we like it or not a place like Rio would never have the ability to go head to head in infrastructure development with a place like Tokyo, in fact not many places would.). However, I really think these need to play a bit of a role in determining who wins, even if it only accounts for 25%. They're already doing to work to score the bids, why not use them?

North America hasn't hosted the Summer Olympics since 1996. That's what made Chicago very favorable and also their bid was technically strong, probably #1 or #2 best out of the bunch.
But it's only 20 years since the Summer Olympics were in the USA ... and only 12 years before that for the previous one. No other country get's the Olympics so frequently.

They might have not been in North America, but there are only 3 major countries in North America ... and how many in Europe?

Allegations that China cut a deal to host 2008 Olympics

From TheStar.com:

Book alleges China cut deal to host 2008 Olympics

BEIJING – According to a memoir by a former Olympic committee president, Toronto's bid for the 2008 Olympics was derailed after Chinese sports officials struck a verbal, inside deal to bring the Games to Beijing.

In exchange for support of Jacques Rogge's bid to head the International Olympic Committee, Beijing received European backing for their bid for the 2008 Games.

Retired sports minister and president of the Chinese Olympic Committee, Yuan Weimin, describes in his book the alleged arrangements surrounding Beijing's Olympic bid in 2001.

European members of the IOC verbally agreed to support Beijing for the 2008 Games in exchange for Chinese support for Rogge. Canada would have been hurt on both ends of the deal, as Toronto was competing against Beijing for the Olympics while Dick Pound of Montreal was running against Rogge.

The IOC denied the accusation made in the book Yuan Weimin and the Sports World.

"Jacques Rogge was elected IOC president by a large majority," the committee said in a statement from Lausanne, Switzerland. "As a candidate, he built his campaign on a strong program that was widely welcome by IOC members. Any insinuation that deals would have been made is absolutely false."

Yuan wrote that while there was no written agreement from either party, multiple meetings yielded a mutual understanding of support if Rogge won the election.

"The Beijing Olympic bid committee decided on a tactic of strategic alliance-making. We would link Chinese support for Rogge in exchange for European committee members' support for Beijing," Yuan said in his memoir. "Of course, we also made some promises to link up with some of our friends in supporting Rogge. This tactic was our overall strategy."

Beijing went on to win the 2001 vote in Moscow, defeating Toronto, Paris, Istanbul and Osaka after two rounds of voting. Beijing received 56 votes in the second round, followed by Toronto with 22.

Rogge, a Belgian who had headed the European Olympic Committees, was elected IOC president at the same meeting in Moscow. He defeated four other candidates and received a winning majority of 59 votes in the second round, more than double the votes of Kim Un-yong of South Korea (23) and Pound (22).

Rogge was re-elected to a final four-year term this month in Copenhagen.

Yuan's book offers a small glimpse into the fevered politicking that surrounded the Moscow meeting in 2001.

A former Olympic sailor and orthopedic surgeon, Rogge was vying to take over an IOC trying to recover from corruption scandals surrounding previous Olympic bids. Beijing, meanwhile, was trying to become the first Chinese host for the Games in a quest that had become a matter of national pride.

Yuan's book, ghost-written by Yuan Shan, said not all in the Chinese delegation went along with the alleged deal. The book said a senior Chinese IOC official who was not identified voted against Rogge and instead backed Kim. The unnamed official is believed to be He Zhenliang, an IOC member since 1981 who is serving his final year in the 112-member committee.

"A senior Chinese member in the IOC purposely defied our strategies and nominated IOC member Kim Un-yong, causing awkwardness for the Beijing Olympic Committee," Yuan wrote in his memoir.

With files from The Canadian Press

If this is true and can be proven, the other bid delegations can sue the hell out of the IOC for unfairly giving the games to Beijing, thus having the other bidding cities lose out on potential revenue, bid proposal capital and so on.

If it's true, Toronto should be given 2020 by default.

We know the IOC is all about politics but this is blatant corruption.

Having been in an unbiased country in Europe when the selection was made, I remember reading a lot of foreign press stating that Toronto was the favourite because we had the best technical bid and that the IOC wouldn't turn a blind eye to China's human rights record.

I wasn't counting on Toronto winning but I was very optimistic.

If this is true and can be proven, the other bid delegations can sue the hell out of the IOC for unfairly giving the games to Beijing, thus having the other bidding cities lose out on potential revenue, bid proposal capital and so on.

If it's true, Toronto should be given 2020 by default.

St. Louis stole the 1904 games away from Chicago, but that didn't help Chicago's chances for 2016.

I wouldn't even bother with fighting the IOC over 2008. What court would you go to to sue the IOC? And how can we prove lost revenue when so many games actually lost money? (especially with the Beijing games being China's opportunity to burn tons of money to buy international prestige... they weren't even thinking about making money)

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Pan Am announcement, but I'm not extremely optimistic about the Toronto bid in light of Rio's recent success. While Lima is easy to beat, Bogota would be an extremely tough competitor with its recent crackdown on crime, the TransMilenio BRT project, and its extensive bike path system. I don't know if Toronto has completed many projects in recent years that have transformed the city in a dramatic fashion like Bogota.

Well it's hard to transform a city with a large project when the city doesn't need to under-go a transformation. Apparently Bogota cracking down on crime is better than having relatively little crime in the first place? A new BRT system is better than the system we have in place and are in the process of building?

I don't think any of that matters. Great for Bogota that they've transformed but I think it says a great deal that Toronto doesn't need to undergo any sort of transformation from its current state to be recognized as great.

.... I think it says a great deal that Toronto doesn't need to undergo any sort of transformation from its current state to be recognized as great.

I would say that any city that needs to pepper spray a visiting football squad to prevent it from meeting their fans still has a few rough edges.

Incidentally, this year's FIFA Under-20s were held in Cairo which did a pretty good job as host - notwithstanding the mediocre standard of the participating teams. The next FIFA U-20s will be held in Colombia in 2011.

When cities like Cairo are organizing world class events, it will be increasingly difficult in future for cities like Toronto to succeed as host.

Having attended a number of global level sporting events hosted by "third world" countries, Torontonians could usefully be a bit more modest on their organizational abilities and commitment to sports. Arrogance is not a becoming characteristic.

Back