News   Jul 15, 2024
 766     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 917     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

I'm kind of glad that it is Kayne. Perhaps he will rush the stage and steal the mic from the politicos during their inevitable long-winded masturbatory speeches.

That would be worth it.

Don't count on it, speeches is the unspoken Olympic sport - if the opening ceremonies is any guide, they won't hesitate to keep on going and add to your suffering.

Perhaps the Lima closing ceremony will feature Justin Bieber and Carly Rae?

Our loss is Lima's gain.

AoD

Apropos of WK Lis' link on the Oly bid thread, and maybe this kind of discussion needs to wait until the end of the Pan Ams, but:

Canada is already double the gold medals (61 vs. 30) from Guadalajara, way over on total medals (164 vs. 119) with the final weekend to come and looks to finish 2nd instead of 5th in the overall medal count. Was it worth it? Do you feel Toronto got a good party / fun couple of weeks / nice round of applause / enough new infrastructure to justify the $2.5bn+ spent? Because it looks like the VIPs are going to take another kick at the Oly cat unless someone puts together a CodeBlueNoOlyTO organization and stirs up a rebellion. And even that probably won't work, as Tory seems much better connected than His Crackhead and DoFo, and will almost assuredly get things pushed through. W.A.W.O.$$

Numeris released it's weekly Top 30 television programs for the week July 6th - 12th, and the Pan Am Opening ceremony came in...fourth place; America's Got Talent, Masterchef and Amazing Race Canada had higher viewers in English Canada overall, and the first Sunday of the games got less viewers than the opening ceremony, but that could be because of CBC lousy coverage didn't help.

Damn it. SportNet bumped the Tour de France for Pan Am soccer. It's like missing an episode of Game of Thrones.

This is why I PVR le Tour :) (which also has the benefit of allowing me to skip the million and one repetitive ads)

Question: I'm aware that transit is free for Pan Am ticket holders, but on the Pan Am website it says this:
Your sport competition/event ticket is non-transferable, and your access to transit will only be valid for trips to and from the event on the date displayed on the ticket.

I'm confused. Does it mean that some bus routes do not qualify for free access if they're unrelated to getting to the event, or if they're not part of the Games Transit Network?

Question: I'm aware that transit is free for Pan Am ticket holders, but on the Pan Am website it says this:

I'm confused. Does it mean that some bus routes do not qualify for free access if they're unrelated to getting to the event, or if they're not part of the Games Transit Network?

I think it would be hard to enforce that because the ticket would be valid on any bus anyone could possibly uses to get between their home and the subway, which is just about everything. Unless you get a really anal driver with lots of time on their hands I can't see anyone questioning you about your choice of routes.

So it turns out there will indeed be another fireworks show off the CN Tower on Sunday:

The night will end with the ceremonial extinguishing of the flame at the Pan Am cauldron, followed by a dazzling fireworks display at Nathan Phillips Square, as well as a repeat of the CN Tower fireworks display — so get your cameras ready!

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...89RCRD&nrkey=7E1A558EB275DF0185257E8C00499E50

Anyone know of some good spots to shoot this from? I have a few in mind.

I've used my Games' tickets to get around on transit quite extensively on days I've gone to an event. Mostly it's been TTC and the drivers have simply nodded OK. GO was the same, except my tickets weren't checked on the train, just bus.

Back