Brampton 200 County Court Boulevard | 150.15m | 44s | Stanford Homes | superkül

I say enjoy the value of your property skyrocketing thanks to the LRT and move to something like Georgetown or Bolton for the suburb feel you crave, all of the GTA is building up. Cities grow and change. This is also Urban Toronto, not Suburban Toronto. The users are into Modern Urban design, density and rapid transit. I suggest you save your energy for City Council, this forum has no say in what happens. We just want information of projects with less derailing.

I say enjoy the value of your property skyrocketing thanks to the LRT
The LRT will impact property values more in the immediate vicinities, and therefore people in those neighbourhoods are likely to see a property tax increase greater than the city in general, regardless of whether they benefit from it or not. The market value of a home is only of benefit when selling, and the majority in this neighbourhood have been here for decades. If there are economy of scale benefits (which should be a prerequisite for any new developments), then taxes in that area should fall dramatically.....but they won't. Therefore it is a lose/lose proposition.

ok great, I hope we can put this topic back on track regardless. If you need a place to vent before it shows up at council, the Brampton Reddit community might be a good fit for your concerns.

*Edit* Not going to engage further, this is his literal hill to die on it seems. I look forward to real updates on this project over whining about shadows and randomness.

Last edited:
Since when is expressing an opinion considered venting? Could the same be said of those promoting these developments?

Front page story with some new (and rather nice) renders:

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2023/10/multi-tower-development-proposed-stanford-homes-brampton.53684

This is one of the few locations in Brampton I know fairly well, and I think this is a welcome development at a node that could easily sustain some development.

The courthouse (and surrounding ecosystem) supplies a lot of employment opportunities in the area, and that, together with good transit (Zoom, future Hurontario), plus lots of retail, helps me imagine this could be a future walkable 15-minute city and high density node. It may be the single busiest courthouse in the entire province (Toronto's courts are more divided into multiple locations (even after the new Renzo Piano Courthouse, Superior and Ontario courts remain separate, small claims and family courts in entirely different locations), and in my experience, Brampton is crazily busy, even compared to Ottawa's combined courthouse, despite the similar population to Peel).

HD Renderings:
COM_Architectural Drawings-73.jpg

COM_Architectural Drawings-1.jpg
COM_Architectural Drawings-70.jpg
COM_Architectural Drawings-71.jpg
COM_Architectural Drawings-72.jpg
COM_Architectural Drawings-74.jpg
COM_Architectural Drawings-75.jpg
COM_Architectural Drawings-76.jpg

1696947869487.png

The above street level commercial along pedestrian plazas with patio space is the kind of development needed across Brampton.
Any independent coffee shop in the city ends up Downtown to die in hopes that it kind of replicates this environment.

Now did I miss it; or were a whole bunch of folks talking about Shadows while no one posted the Shadow studies or the proponent's analysis thereof?

Apologies if I missed it.

If I didn't, it would be my suggestion that people read those and then consider offering an informed view.

So, I'm looking at the Sept images (Sept and March are normally the standard by which these are evaluated, shadows are less of a concern when the sun is at peak height and the weather at its warmest in June)

For much of the day, the primary shadows here will fall on the roads and on the commercial developments nearby.

Generally this would be viewed as low-harm; though its important to note here, that this application and one other have now opened the floodgate to residential on the existing commercial sites, and so the future of those sites needs to be considered when looking at the shadowing.

While much of the shadowing is low harm, this bit is a little more questionable.

1696949658755.png

You can see almost the entirety of Havelock Park will be in shadow in the early evening hours in September.

The full effect lasts less than 2 hours, but this a time of day with less sun, which is cooler at Spring/Fall equinox, and where shading the entire park may be more impactful to enjoyment.

In respect of the above, the height is less of an issue, I would argue, than the massing, which leaves virtually no sun at all. You could cut 10s and the park would still be entirely in shadow. The issue is more the built-form proposed which just doesn't leave space for the sun to cut through.

Looking at the impact on the currently commercial sites nearby:

1696949932398.png

The impact is early in the day, and less likely to be a material issue for enjoyment of patios or parks; still its very comprehensive between the two proposals. I do think some refinement here is due, both for this proposal (orange) and the other proposal(s) in blue.

There needs to some coordination between them to let sun through.

Overall, I don't think height is at issue here, but the proposals would benefit from refinement/massing change so as to reduce the giant wall of shadow impact.

From the Report:

1696950174098.png

1696950116957.png

1696950149259.png

Back