Brampton 200 County Court Boulevard | 150.15m | 44s | Stanford Homes | superkül

So - to clarify, you think that restricting housing in an already overpopulated city, that's going to receive thousands more citizens in the next few years, is going to HELP the problems of under reporting, lack of services, and lawlessness? Really spectacular understanding of how economic, social, and infrastructure systems work - well done.
You might as well start packing up your beer can collection with that popsicle stick logic and more than transparent NIMBY attitude. Brampton may have had to no place for people who needed shelter in the past, but that's changing, and soon it'll thankfully instead have no place for people like you.

So - to clarify, you think that restricting housing in an already overpopulated city, that's going to receive thousands more citizens in the next few years, is going to HELP the problems of under reporting, lack of services, and lawlessness? Really spectacular understanding of how economic, social, and infrastructure systems work - well done.
You might as well start packing up your beer can collection with that popsicle stick logic and more than transparent NIMBY attitude. Brampton may have had to no place for people who needed shelter in the past, but that's changing, and soon it'll thankfully instead have no place for people like you.
What I am suggesting is that Brampton has to get a handle on their current issues before growing further. You can't build a house on a sponge foundation. As for its current under reported population, it's important to ask the question, why did people choose Brampton instead of other area cities having the same lack of housing? Would you fly to an exotic resort if you were told the rooms were all taken? Brampton has a reputation for looking the other way. It has been a case of growth at any cost.

What I am suggesting is that Brampton has to get a handle on their current issues before growing further. You can't build a house on a sponge foundation. As for its current under reported population, it's important to ask the question, why did people choose Brampton instead of other area cities having the same lack of housing? Would you fly to an exotic resort if you were told the rooms were all taken? Brampton has a reputation for looking the other way. It has been a case of growth at any cost.
You write about Brampton in a way that sounds like you believe the situation there is unique, that other areas of the GTA don't have the same challenges, that anywhere else would be a better place in which to propose this complex.

700,000 is only an official count based on Census Canada figures. Census Canada does not knock on side, rear or even garage doors, nor do those with illegal secondary units voluntarily disclose their existence.
I worked for the Census in 2016 and let me assure you that surveyors in fact do this this. I spent a summer essentially processing all those extra units.

I worked for the Census in 2016 and let me assure you that surveyors in fact do this this. I spent a summer essentially processing all those extra units.

I worked on the Census in 2001 in Brampton and I concur. I knocked on every door that looked like it was for a secondary unit.

It is also not in the city’s interest to undercount the population - its funding from the province and federal governments is dependent on its population count.

I worked on the Census in 2001 in Brampton and I concur. I knocked on every door that looked like it was for a secondary unit.

It is also not in the city’s interest to undercount the population - its funding from the province and federal governments is dependent on its population count.
It's not in their interest, however the city has done nothing to reduce the the number of illegal units. If anything, it actually encourages them by allowing cars to park on front "walkways" 3 cars wide, and/or the overhanging the sidewalks and curbs. The region removed another roadblock by providing homes with Winnebago-sized garbage bins (which the region promoted as being "perfect for multi-family homes" when first introducing them on their website). As for the Census, many living with illegal units tend to run the other way when seeing someone official looking holding a large clipboard standing on their front porch. I've yet to see a census taker open a garage door or side gate, as they likely are not authorized to access anything but the official address front door.

It's not in their interest, however the city has done nothing to reduce the the number of illegal units. If anything, it actually encourages them by allowing cars to park on front "walkways" 3 cars wide, and/or the overhanging the sidewalks and curbs. The region removed another roadblock by providing homes with Winnebago-sized garbage bins (which the region promoted as being "perfect for multi-family homes" when first introducing them on their website). As for the Census, many living with illegal units tend to run the other way when seeing someone official looking holding a large clipboard standing on their front porch. I've yet to see a census taker open a garage door or side gate, as they likely are not authorized to access anything but the official address front door.
...so obviously the answer is to not increase the number of units to house people? The people living in those basements/garages are already here. And it's not like we can stop people from coming to the city if they have deemed it a place they want to live. So where will they go if not into new actual legitimate places to live? More of these places that you are lamenting.The city has neither the resources or will to enforce the supposed bylaws, you can bet the police would require more funding for that.

.The city has neither the resources or will to enforce the supposed bylaws,

Many choose a house based on zoning and bylaws. If you're looking for a quiet area to raise a family, most prefer a zone designated as Single Family Residential. They may even pay a premium for a home in those areas, and certainly pay their property taxes to the city, which then has a responsibility to maintain the advertised status quo. The city of Brampton is effectively in breach of contract by allowing an anything goes attitude.

So where will they go if not into new actual legitimate places to live? More of these places that you are lamenting.
You're assuming that those currently living in illegal units are given priority for new places, when in fact, a large percentage of new units are purchased by either new residents or investors. You're also assuming that homeowners currently operating illegal units will be able to continue to afford their mortgage once their tenants move out and into their own place. You're ok with paying more for a meal in order to compensate for those eating and not paying at the table beside you.

This development is across from a Law firm, TD Bank Corporate office midrises and Ontario Court of Justice for professional employment.
Sheridan college is within walking distance which could provide more housing supply in that high demand area on an LRT stop.
It all looks great to me.

This development is across from a Law firm, TD Bank Corporate office midrises and Ontario Court of Justice for professional employment.
Sheridan college is within walking distance which could provide more housing supply in that high demand area on an LRT stop.
It all looks great to me.
There are but a few midrise buildings in the immediate area, all of which are approx 6 or fewer stories tall, other than one condo building which has been here since the subdivision was built decades ago. A 40+ story building is totally out of character for the neighbourhood. As for Sheridan students, they typically live in basement apartments which are usually shared by several students. They choose that due to economics. Doubtful they will suddenly be able to buy/rent condo space unless the extra cost is split by multiple students. I don't think the average condo owner wants "rooming house" tenants sharing their building. And during the summer months, most return home, which could encourage short-term renting to fill those spaces, which opens a whole other set of issues.

Back