Toronto 175 Cummer | 10.49m | 3s | City of Toronto | Montgomery Sisam

It was honestly sad to watch Councillor Cheng flail away in Council today.

Councillor Cheng was (sadly) in tears at the end of the meeting...and Councilor Malik was comforting her.

Cheng got TERRIBLE advice... and/or refused to take the good advice she was given... repeatedly to "fold"..

Today's embarrassing drubbing could have all been avoided.

OLT Case Management Conference today. 30-ish people asking for "Participant Status" --- and "Voices of Willowdale" added as a party to the appeal - joining Bayview Cummer Neighbourhood Association, LiVante Holdings (Cummer) Inc (the neighbouring McMansion-Cluster builder).

OLT hearing is tentatively set for November 1st - 3rd, 2023.

OLT Case Management Conference today. 30-ish people asking for "Participant Status" --- and "Voices of Willowdale" added as a party to the appeal - joining Bayview Cummer Neighbourhood Association, LiVante Holdings (Cummer) Inc (the neighbouring McMansion-Cluster builder).

OLT hearing is tentatively set for November 1st - 3rd, 2023.

Unreal. I want this project to continue, but are we able to install these units in the meantime at another site whilst they appeal, and order more to replace?

There are so many needing homes right now

Modular Supportive Housing are supposed to allow faster build and save cost,.. nope and nope!
All over-budget,.. with Glamorgan/Dundalk (ground broke April 2022 and still under construction now) even more overbudget than 175 Cummer,... currently! Blame on poor City management (change order & lack of approvals, lack of documentations), rushing through site evaluation (geo/hydro) and not knowing what they're dealing with (remediation)!

1689103649269.png

Modular Supportive Housing are supposed to allow faster build and save cost,.. nope and nope!
All over-budget,.. with Glamorgan/Dundalk (ground broke April 2022 and still under construction now) even more overbudget than 175 Cummer,... currently! Blame on poor City management (change order & lack of approvals, lack of documentations), rushing through site evaluation (geo/hydro) and not knowing what they're dealing with (remediation)!

View attachment 491520
Not building it at all would be way cheaper!

How much is this going to cost per unit? I'd bet it's still drastically cheaper by that metric than most for-profit residential projects in the GTA... and it would have been even cheaper if it was built last year...

How much is this going to cost per unit? I'd bet it's still drastically cheaper by that metric than most for-profit residential projects in the GTA... and it would have been even cheaper if it was built last year...

That's a good question.

So I just looked up the unit numbers here at UT

540 Cedarvale: 59 micro-studio units.

Cost (per above) $20,058,000

That's $339,966 per unit.

That's hefty. I supported this project; but I have to say, I don't consider that cost reasonable. (which doesn't make me oppose the project, but we need to revisit how we got here (quickly).

That's at least double significantly higher per ft2 to what I would expect to see in build costs for comparable studio units on the market.

That's a problem.

* I imagine they're billing staff time on the application from a Planning Perspective (I don't know that); but that's still too much, I'll have to read the AG's report for details and get back to everyone.

** I made a modification to my statement above based on some private info, I'm looking further into the numbers. Still seems too high to me.

Last edited:
That's $339,966 per unit.
The AG's report indicates that each modular unit is approx 350 square feet. So it costs about $339,966 / 350 = $971 per square feet! It's almost enough to buy a pretty decent apartment/condo unit in Toronto. This government is a joke!

1689309995211.png

Last edited:
The AG's report indicates that each modular unit is approx 350 square feet. So it costs about $339,966 / 350 = $971 per square feet! It's almost enough to buy a pretty decent apartment/condo unit in Toronto. This government is a joke!

View attachment 492222

Actually, the Auditor General likely made a typo,... the each Modular unit is about 250 square feet,... some at 236ft2, 247ft2 and 320ft2 but majority at 253ft2,... this would make the cost per square feet look even worst,... but I suspect the initial calculation didn't factor in the space used for mechanical rooms, lounge/dinning area, office, etc,...

Image below shows the floor-plan for 175 Cummer,... 3rd floor not pictured is really copy of 2nd floor:
1689311261727.png

View attachment 492222
These aren't Retail-Market Condo Studio units.

You need to look at Altus cost-numbers for INSTITUTIONAL and/or SENIORS HOMES in the GTA --- when looking at SUPPORTIVE HOUSING... not regular low-rise or high-rise RESIDENTIAL costs.

Totally different Build "durability & resilience" needed for SUPPORTIVE HOUSING w/ Thick walls, Slammable doors, Sound Proofing, Increased Insulation, Flooding and Bed-Bug Barriers between units, Ultra-Quiet Fridges, etc.

You need to look at Altus cost-numbers for INSTITUTIONAL and/or SENIORS HOMES in the GTA --- when looking at SUPPORTIVE HOUSING... not regular low-rise or high-rise RESIDENTIAL costs.

Totally different Build "durability & resilience" needed for SUPPORTIVE HOUSING w/ Thick walls, Slammable doors, Sound Proofing, Increased Insulation, Flooding and Bed-Bug Barriers between units, Ultra-Quiet Fridges, etc.

Even so, I just looked up the Altus numbers for Seniors Housing - Complex Care, and the high number for the GTA is $480 per ft2 which is about 1/2 what we're seeing here.

These were not billed as 'complex care' facilities, I should add; but I selected that as it's more expensive than 'assisted living'.

Even if we went to medical clinic, public sector, you only get to $580 per ft2.

Finally, I looked into my City of Toronto docs for the estimated costs on a brand new LTC in Scarborough, and I get a number lower than the clinic number above (I won't reveal the actuals as I'm not sure what the tendering stage is)

In comparing the numbers I used 350ft2 per unit as the size.

Again, I'm in favour of this idea; but I need to see how we arrived at this cost for this idea. It concerns me that we ought to be delivering more for the $ invested, which, given the need, is rather important.

Because these have come in too expensive doesn't mean they're a bad idea; but we do need to know why.

Last edited:

Do they come with a bullet proof vehicle?

Do they come with a bullet proof vehicle?
Absolutely! For higher "build durability and resilience" for supportive housing, not only that, all the units need to come with robust security system, moisture control, durable flooring and finishes, backup power systems, impact-resistant windows and doors, smart home automation, AI powered appliances etc. 🤣

Last edited:

Back