Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

The PATH connection is now apparent too (from Simcoe Place)...

unnamed.jpg

Some photos from a week ago, November 11th.

I understand the view that the lights might be a bit tacky, too intense, too much, etc., and I'm still getting used to them, but I saw them the other night and personally they're working for me on the whole. I like the vibrancy in this often bleak, grey city and I thought it was great in counterpoint with the lighting on the CN Tower as well. Or seen through other buildings or from a distance from different vantage points it really catches the eye and adds life.

I really like how this building is defining the plaza and area around Union Station and the lighting accentuates this even more at night. With this and other towers going up in the area, Union's really starting to feel in the dense city in a really cool way. Seeing the urban canyon emerging down Front is very great too and gives depth to the city.

250 front 1.jpg

The lighting pattern went through a white light mode where it moved around the tower in a pattern (hard to capture on camera), the pink/purple and green mode above (with some segments of light in the middle missing/seeming a darker red and not quite working right yet — unless perhaps intentional) and then this green and white mode below which also looks great (some lighting segments seemed to be missing — again unless artistic choice can't quite tell, or maybe some will be perpetually missing on this like Aura 😅 ). Will be interesting to see how it looks when the TD logos are lit up.

250 front 2.jpg

Saw it peaking through as well from the Esplanade and Yonge:

250 front 3b.jpg

This will be an interesting vantage point to see this building looking past CIBC Square 2's glass diamonds. This whole junction here where the Esplanade ends will be much improved from a connectivity point once this opens up and this building will be neat to see while walking through this space in the future.

250 front 5.jpg

The contrast is significant here between the bright modern city lights and and the warm tones and old architecture of Union Station and the Royal York. I can see why it's a bit controversial, but I like the contrast and its electric vibrance.

250 front 4.jpg

Attachments

• 250 front 3.jpg
    250 front 3.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 33
As long as they keep the strips the same colour each time, I think it won’t look tacky or messy. I think it’s when the lights have different colours when it can look messy

Yea I dunno about those signs, they look pretty terrible, particularly on the east elevation. They're jarring against the faceted glass and curved top of the tower. Can't miss and opportunity to plaster yet another boring corporate logo on the skyline though.

Agreed. They didn't look good before, and now that I see them turned on, they look awful.

Back