Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Be careful what you wish for though... >.<

dDyxY3.gif

...goodness, this building is coming with a lot of bells and whistles. 🙀

• Love
Reactions: DSC
I don't entirely get it, but cool, I think?
Another noteworthy deployment of con-tech took place in November, 2021, when Spot the Robo-dog made an appearance at Cadillac Fairview’s 47-storey, 1.2-million-square-foot project at 160 Front. St. W in Toronto.

Spot was put to work at the site by PCL Construction Company and Pomerleau Construction. The companies equipped the techno-pooch with 360-degree cameras, a laser scanner, and air quality and GPS sensors to feed data into a smart construction tech platform.

The robot’s digital sniffing helps designers and project managers in off-site offices to work seamlessly with workers on site. It can also perform tasks in spaces where it’s too dangerous for workers to go.

“Everybody loves that robot dog,” says Jordan Thomson, a senior manager with KPMG’s global infrastructure advisory group. “It doesn’t mean humans are going to be replaced. Spending $100,000 on a robot dog can free up an engineer to do other value-added work.” (Spot sells for a reported US$74,500.)

Notably, while Spot may be the way of the future, the 160 Front St. W. project used human ironworkers to put a giant steel dome on the roof in early April, 2023.

Much of the technology on the massive site, which spans the equivalent of six Canadian Football League fields, focuses on reducing the building’s environmental footprint, for example, by covering 60 per cent of its roof with solar panels.

I don't know what @ProjectEnd or others have seen in their travels, but I've marveled at much more tech I see used in Germany. I should add, I don't spend time surveying construction sites in Europe on my vacations, I'm just curious and observe when I come across work.

I don't know much about construction of big buildings other than what I've picked up from living over a couple of major construction sites for the last few years. But we were recently in Berlin and Copenhagen and my amateur eye noticed that construction sites look a lot different. They're a lot quieter and have no massive staging zones. I assume that's probably due to deploying more high tech solutions for building.

From most angles, it appears to me that it would make more sense to program the LEDs on the doors to correspond with the roof LEDs from one section higher: the LEDs don'r read as a line in the current configuration, as per @mburrrrr's images from above...

_n8a0936-jpeg.492932

...and if they can't fix that, they can just take the building down.

Last edited:

Back