Toronto 133 Queen East | 130.1m | 40s | IBI Group

Mid 2000s afterbirth.

It's like what everyone said, a mixtape of a bunch of projects. 88 Scott, a bit of Monde copied over, plus a single sockethole from the INDX Tower.

Also, interesting that 88 Queen is in the background.

Last edited:
Reminds me of 88 Scott mixed with Complexe Jules-Dallaire in Quebec City.

It would look good elsewhere, but not in Toronto.

The tower is dull and a mishmash that doesn't speak to its surroundings either as a compliment or a contrast.

That said is the podium that is well and truly absurd.

It's (the podium) too tall and it doesn't speak to the street or the context in a broader way.

Banal, and indifferent are the kindest words I can muster, and i'm inclined to be harsher.

How unfortunate.

Hopefully this is a placeholder design and not what goes forward.

Too bad the St. Lawrence HCD stops just south of this site, it might have offered planning tools to scupper this thing, pending a better design.

You guys, you guys…

This is clearly next year's April Fools story just jumping the gun a little. Settle down!

Wait, what? This is serious? There's a full set of Supporting Documentation? That's an expensive way to embarrass all involved. This holdover looks like a rejected plan from the era of the Eaton Centre towers and the Hyatt Regency on King, all designs that are between 50 and 30 years old, and is why we should design based on today, not the past. You would think that enough design sense should have rubbed off on the Cortel Group, what with their gorgeous CG Tower (Expo City 5) in Vaughan, that they'd be able to tell they've put forward a joke here. Gaaaaaaah!

what makes you think that this is for Cortel? The Cover Letter for the application lists the company as "The Tire Source Corporation" - which to me sounds like the existing site owner, not a developer.. Which also leads to the relief that this project likely will not be built as existing, but is rather a zoning exercise.

what makes you think that this is for Cortel? The Cover Letter for the application lists the company as "The Tire Source Corporation" - which to me sounds like the existing site owner, not a developer.. Which also leads to the relief that this project likely will not be built as existing, but is rather a zoning exercise.
It's Cortel whom the public consultation strategy is being run for. They'd at minimum have an option on the land pending zoning approval.

There's a good chance that this is not the design Cortel would want to have reviewed by the DRP, but wow, could IBI have offered a cheaper one?

?? anyone one know what was PAID for this lot.
they havent sold since 1980 . when emilio's restaurant was beside them.
why does the city allow allow this BLAND ideas to be built
the whole east side was a blank slate , SO MUCH APATHY.

Back