News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

are you really trying to defend the halfassed displays the ttc put up? these are brand new trains and the map is straight out of the 1990s

They could have printed a better map, nothing about the technology used behind the map required crappy fonts and awkward lines. Really the technology used is cheap to maintain and modify which is why it is there. They could have been more year 2010 and put in hi-resolution flat screen displays but if someone vandalized them then the replacement cost would obviously be much higher.

I have noticed that the old retired H4 Subway cars, acquired in 1974-1975, are only 3 years older than the CLRV streetcars, acquired 1977-1981. No salt, no automobiles to collide with, and not used overnight (no Blue Night subway service). They should last a lot, lot longer than streetcars, but only last about the same age.

I have noticed that the old retired H4 Subway cars, acquired in 1974-1975, are only 3 years older than the CLRV streetcars, acquired 1977-1981.
5 years surely. The first H4 went into operational service in late 1974, with the first CLRV not going into service until end of September 1979.

They should last a lot, lot longer than streetcars, but only last about the same age.
Don't even last the same age ... half the H4's (presumably the ones in worse shape) were removed from service back in 2001 at the age of only 26-27 years. The other half was rebuilt. We are also replacing all the H5s (32 to 35 years old - in service 1977-1980) and the H6s (22 to 25 years old - in service 1987-1990). The CLRVs haven't been rebuilt yet, and if they were, would still have had plenty of life in them. Main reason we are replacing them rather than rebuilding them is that they don't meet accessibility standards.

WHY why why, can't the new TR train doors open normally like the older trains? It is so annoying that extra 3 or 4 seconds one has to wait before they open. It seems like the extra 3 or 4 seconds multiplied by what 67 stations? adds more dwell time overall to the whole system doesn't it?
It was explained it's how the doors operate. The doors won't open untill the train has fully braked, and if you hold the door buttons like you do with the old trains, the doors won't open until you let go of them. I guess it takes some getting used to for drivers.

Didn't the TTC already change the ways doors operate on the TR a few months ago. I seem to remember that when that just before the TRs came into service the doors closed after "please stay clear of doors" was announced. Now the doors close while the announcement is made.

Am I mistaken??
"Please stand clear of doors." has always played as the doors close.

I have noticed that the old retired H4 Subway cars, acquired in 1974-1975, are only 3 years older than the CLRV streetcars, acquired 1977-1981. No salt, no automobiles to collide with, and not used overnight (no Blue Night subway service). They should last a lot, lot longer than streetcars, but only last about the same age.

Regardless of its use, the equipment is built to last 30 years in its particular element. A subway train would not last 30 years in streetcar service, while a streetcar may last considerably longer in subway service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As of right now there are 12 new toronto rocket subway trains in service. Today I saw 5521-5526 on training runs in the tunnels. This will become the 13th train to go into service in a couple of days. We will keep on seeing more toronto rocket trains being added 1 by 1 at the end each month. So By the end of February there will be 13 trains in service. By the end of March, 14 trains will be in service and so on. If everything stays status quo for the new trains then by the end of September there will be 20 new trains in service, which will be almost half the amount of trains they need to service the Yonge- University Spadina line during rush hours. (They need 49 trains for rush hours on the YUS line.)

GO!! TORONTO ROCKET GO!!

The greatest train toronto has had so far!!

So the plan is to have YUS running only TRs, once they are all delivered?

Yes. That is the plan. Once all the TR's are delivered that is the only train that will be running on the YUS Line. The delivery off all 70 TRs is expected to be complete between the middle to end of 2013.

Yes. That is the plan. Once all the TR's are delivered that is the only train that will be running on the YUS Line. The delivery off all 70 TRs is expected to be complete between the middle to end of 2013.

Did they not cut 10 sets from the order as part of cost reductions in the budget?

Doors get stuck on the new TR train for several minutes

Hey guys, did any of you saw the TR train doors get stuck for long periods?
I already witnessed it twice and heard a third one from my friend.
The first one happened at Sheppard Station on Feb 10, 2012 @ 7:51AM. As the southbound TR train pulled to the platform it was standing for a couple of minutes with closed doors while everybody was waiting. So I was outside at this moment just came before he arrived to board the train. I was at the last car near the train operators window. He opened the window and I could hear everything that was happening. So the operators struggled to open the train doors as it just beeped then they pressed the open doors button. They tried to switch a few times control form the front to the back of the train without success until at the end TTC control advised to offload the train (by opening few doors manually) and take train out of service. It created a flood of people on the platform, but was cleared after few trains. The delay was in total 25 minutes 7:51 - 8:15
The second story happened last week, can't remember exact day. I was Northbound on TR train and at Lawrence station (the time was around 5:10PM) the train stopped and didn't open the doors for about 2 minutes. Then it reversed a few meteres and was able to open the door.

So I guess TTC found a workaround of a problem

A few weeks ago I was on a train that had a door opening/closing problem which led to the train being taken out of service at King station.

Last week I was on a T1 behind a TR which was taken out of service at Union for the same reason. Arriving at Union station with a train unloaded onto the platform while another train arrived on the opposite platform was dangerously crowded.

They did not cut 10 sets for cost reductions in the budget. The order still includes all 70 TR's.
Yes and no. The order is still for 70 sets, but plans for a further 10 sets were cancelled for cost reductions in the budget.

The first order (in December 2006) was for 39 train sets (to replace the 30 train sets of H4 and H5 equipment, and provide for some growth. This included an option for a further 21 equipment sets (bringing the total to 60 sets) to replace the 21 train sets of existing H6 equipment and to add 8 train sets for the Spadina extension (coming out of that budget) - for a total of 68 train sets. In May 2010 TTC exercised this option, and also added a further 2 train sets for the Spadina extension, to bring the total of new train sets to 70.

There was in the 2011 capital budget an item to purchase a further 10 train sets (bringing the total to 80), to allow for increased service and growth, however this would also require additional storage space (which was also planned by prebuilding the Yonge extension subway tunnel north to Cummer to store 10 trains). It was the proposal for these further 10 train sets, which had never been ordered, which was cancelled (or at least postponed out of the 10-year budget timeframe) in the 2012 budget.

It was explained it's how the doors operate. The doors won't open untill the train has fully braked, and if you hold the door buttons like you do with the old trains, the doors won't open until you let go of them. I guess it takes some getting used to for drivers.

Question: Can the doors be opened while the train was in motion on the H-series trains? I've noticed on several occasions on the H-series trains that the doors will sometime open while the train is still stopping in a station. I never have had any safety concencerns about this, but the doors sometimes begin opening while the train still has another few inches to go before it stops. Am I just imagining this because the doors on the H trains open relatively quickly or does this actually happen?

Also, can the doors on the T-1 be open while the train begins to move? Last year I was on a T1, stopped at St. Clair West station and the train rolled forward a few centimeters with the doors wide open. I don't think that the driver intentionally moved the train because we were still waiting at the platform for at least a whole minute, so this may have been a mechanical issue a driver error.

Last edited:

Back