News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

There are 11 trains that have been placed into service with another 2 ready soon. It isn't uncommon now for me to see 3 or 4 trains during the day, and that's only from St. Clair West to Downsview. Trains are arriving every 10 days or so - or at least they should start again soon after the Christmas break.

When I worked at Greenwood it was common for us to configure a train made up of H4/H6/Montrealer cars

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked at Greenwood it was common for us to configure a train made up of H4/H6/Montrealer cars

Montrealers and H-6s didn't get along too well as I recall a train with those types coupled together would often result in a lot of jolting and shuddering due to different braking characteristics. The "purebred" trains of each class started running in late 1991 and the only classes that mixed after that were the H-2s and H-4s.

The couplers were the same and when you are scrambling around to make service one does not car what the combination of cars is.

Is it true that 5381-5386 Prototype Train 1, will be replaced by 6081-6086
5391-5396 Prototype Train 2, will be replaced by 6091-6096?

WHY why why, can't the new TR train doors open normally like the older trains? It is so annoying that extra 3 or 4 seconds one has to wait before they open. It seems like the extra 3 or 4 seconds multiplied by what 67 stations? adds more dwell time overall to the whole system doesn't it?

The couplers were the same and when you are scrambling around to make service one does not car what the combination of cars is.

Especially when those H-6 cars were having so many problems in their early years there were barely enough cars to make a full complement of trains for the peak. A former Greenwood yard dispatcher relayed many stories of such days around that time to me many years ago.

WHY why why, can't the new TR train doors open normally like the older trains? It is so annoying that extra 3 or 4 seconds one has to wait before they open. It seems like the extra 3 or 4 seconds multiplied by what 67 stations? adds more dwell time overall to the whole system doesn't it?

This has really been bothering me as well. A lot of people I've spoken with have noticed it too. I was thinking just the other day that the delay is going to somewhat lessen the benefit gaining by updating the signalling. Definitely something that needs to be fixed eventually.

This has really been bothering me as well. A lot of people I've spoken with have noticed it too. I was thinking just the other day that the delay is going to somewhat lessen the benefit gaining by updating the signalling. Definitely something that needs to be fixed eventually.

Didn't the TTC already change the ways doors operate on the TR a few months ago. I seem to remember that when that just before the TRs came into service the doors closed after "please stay clear of doors" was announced. Now the doors close while the announcement is made.

Am I mistaken??

I admit I don't ride the subway that often but I've yet to see the new one. How many sets of cars are running? Odds tell me that I should have been on one by now or at least seen one pulling away from a station or passing me by in a tunnel, but nope.

When are more scheduled to arrive?

I'm surprised that you haven't ridden one. There are lots of them running even during non peak ridership hours. I use the Yonge line only about once a month and I've already ridden it three times (maybe I'm just very lucky). I've also seen it in the tunnels countless times.

I use Yonge more than once a month - and I've only ridden one once. Keep seeing them on the other platform though. It's funny how many times in a row you can throw tails sometimes.

I'm surprised that you haven't ridden one. There are lots of them running even during non peak ridership hours. I use the Yonge line only about once a month and I've already ridden it three times (maybe I'm just very lucky). I've also seen it in the tunnels countless times.

I think I'm gonna just sit at a station and watch subways pass by until I actually see the new one :D

I was sitting in one of the new cars yesterday, and ended up staring at the digital network map. Then it occurred to me, and I know it's nothing short-term, but once new lines are added, it seems impractical to have to upgrade every single map in every single car across the network, when something like what NYC cars have (below) would be better. Which made me wonder why they chose such an ill-conceived design, then I remembered, it's the TTC.

NTA2011061672457_PV.jpg

The design of the new map is flexible. Yes, the graphic in front will need to be replaced by the sign printing shop, but behind it is what is pretty much a programmable light-brite. Insert the multi-colour LEDs into the desired locations and load in the software in. The replacement costs for individual LED lights and printed signs is far cheaper than full screens or LCD panels. The sign shown in the picture above tells the next stops but gives you no idea of how these next stops fit into the entire network.

Last edited:
The design of the new map is flexible. Yes, the graphic in front will need to be replaced by the sign printing shop, but behind it is what is pretty much a programmable light-brite. Insert the multi-colour LEDs into the desired locations and load in the software in. The replacement costs for individual LED lights and printed signs is far cheaper than full screens or LCD panels. The sign shown in the picture above tells the next stops but gives you no idea of how these next stops fit into the entire network.

are you really trying to defend the halfassed displays the ttc put up? these are brand new trains and the map is straight out of the 1990s

The sign shown in the picture above tells the next stops but gives you no idea of how these next stops fit into the entire network.
Why would it need to? If you want that, you look at the separate subway map that they also put on the trains.

A complex system like New York is going to have the entire network map in a strip above the door line Toronto does.

Back