Toronto 101 Spadina Avenue | 133.95m | 39s | Devron Developments | AUDAX

Arrrrrggghhh! My interest in it has largely evaporated. Not glass (a plus) but it''s a downer to see 100 high rises go up each year but only 4-5 worth admiring.

Last edited:
Some vignettes from AUDAX:
101 spadina.jpg

It should be noted that AUDAX's instagram has posted the old design with the balconies as recently as last month.

The new visuals for Spadina Adelaide Square have also now included 101 Spadina:
1679508978619.png

1679508999816.png

New rendering was taken from the architectural plan via SPA. The height changed from 135.48m to 133.95m. The storey changed from 38 to 39 storey. The unit count changed from 375 units to 397 units. The car parking changed from 142 car parking to 147 car parking. Finally, the bike parking increased from 378 bikes to 399 bikes.

PLN - Architectural Plans - 1of4 - Architectural Plans_101 Spadina_June 30 2023_Part1-1.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - 4of4 - Architectural Plans_101 Spadina_June 30 2023_Part4-1.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - 4of4 - Architectural Plans_101 Spadina_June 30 2023_Part4-2.jpg

I know everyone else loves this design, but I just can’t like how the building meets the sidewalk. I do not claim any professional architectural knowledge, but it does seem to me that a distinguishing feature of buildings along Spadina are squared off masonry buildings with windows pierced into the walls. They are solid, honest, sturdy buildings with decorative features that are visually subtle and celebrate the ingenuity and skill from masons and bricklayers who made beauty from uniform, cuboid bricks.

The proposed design is ok, but (to my amateur eye) would be a better fit in the financial district amongst the 1920’s deco ‘scrapers. Visually the building from the third floor upward overreaches its base, making it look top heavy. The shape of the arches look like something from a cathedral rather than the rounded shape that characterizes buildings in the garment district. It’s show-offy and it will break up the line of frontages along the avenue as it will appear to be set back more that its neighbours while still taking up pavement space.

I’ve tried to like it, but I just can’t see what everyone else loves about it… I thought the top was the best bit in the original designs, but that has now changed… am I missing something, or does this just come down to personal taste? At the consultation meeting which I attended on-line the developer made a great deal of proposing a design that fit in with its context, but I just see a building that is trying very hard to not reflect the design motifs of the area. Is the not playing nicely why people like it?

I wish the park was re-oriented to the southeast side of the site, where it'd be protected from the noise and danger of the traffic.

Not only is an unprotected park on such a huge roaring intersection unappealing, but it's a streetwall killer.

People will bring up sunlight, but I personally love the idea of a small shaded pocket park with some seating , ivy, snowball bushes, and a small fountain.

Last edited:

Back