Toronto 10 St Mary | 197.73m | 60s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

Do you know if they are retaining Core and continuing with a modified version of the previous plan? Or with the additional properties, are they going with something new / larger?

Do you know if they are retaining Core and continuing with a modified version of the previous plan? Or with the additional properties, are they going with something new / larger?

unfortunately i don't know. but the acquisition of the sites to the north allows the purchaser to go with a new plan that entails preserving the 10 st. mary heritage building. the city had objected to lifetime's original application, which entailed demolishing the heritage building (this was one of many concerns).

In the "Growth to Watch Out For" article it says that the site is expanded and "now includes the properties to the north at 79-85 St. Nicholas Street and 718 Yonge Street." 718 is the Shoppers building. Did they also purchase all of the other little buildings on Yonge leading up to it, or just 718? (Barber shop, cigar shop, etc.) If so it would be nice to see this strip restored.

Did they also purchase all of the other little buildings on Yonge leading up to it, or just 718? (Barber shop, cigar shop, etc.) If so it would be nice to see this strip restored.
Is it really worth restoring any of this stuff:confused:??.......nothing special
upload_2017-3-25_1-12-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-25_1-12-18.png
    upload_2017-3-25_1-12-18.png
    2 MB · Views: 865
The existing buildings look banal, but I'm not familiar with their histories. You often can't tell if something is significant in terms of heritage just by looking at the front facade. The rhythm created by the narrow storefronts would be missed if replaced by yet another monolithic wall of glass.

Last edited:
I think the facades are worth saving for the brickwork details and storefronts (cleaned up and restored).

Like what junctionist said in terms of adding some additional floors, beyond the facades you can probably stick a few more floors on top for the podium and then have the tower.

Either way, we still don't know if these buildings are part of this proposal, so it might be a moot point.

I can't pretend that these are the most impressive remains of old Toronto commercial architecture, but with appropriate TLC, they could be a very pleasant, human scaled face to the street. I would be interested in seeing drawings of a not too tall red brick podium with similar windows, set back from the storefronts, out of which the tower would grow.

I can't pretend that these are the most impressive remains of old Toronto commercial architecture, but with appropriate TLC, they could be a very pleasant, human scaled face to the street. I would be interested in seeing drawings of a not too tall red brick podium with similar windows, set back from the storefronts, out of which the tower would grow.

I would go further - I would love to see a narrow "core" rising up from the back of this strip, leaving room between it and 10 St. Mary to the height of the latter - then plop a tower on top, at right angle to the existing building. Wonder if it will fit the 75 degree ground plane rule.

AoD

Back