Toronto 10 St Mary | 197.73m | 60s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

In addition to being designated Part V in May 2014, 10 St. Mary was just designated Part IV at the most-recent meeting of Council.

LINK

Much as I like 10 St. Mary, the Heritage Attributes seem somewhat ridiculous. Included are:

• The location of the building at the north-east corner of Yonge and St. Mary streets
  • The 8-storey scale, form and massing of the building
  • The reinforced concrete structural frame, the external wall columns, and external
    spandrel beams exposed on external wall faces
  • The open volume at ground floor level facing Yonge and St. Mary streets
  • The façade with its expressed concrete frame, infill panels with two-part glazed panels
    and 9" Flemish bond buff-brick
  • The materials as indicated above and including the anodized aluminum glazing sections of the office lobby
  • The flat roof

While there are some valid points in that group, they're marred by the more ridiculous ones (the location, 8-storey size and 'flat roof' of the structure, for example).

From Clr KWT newsletter:

This community consultation meeting is being held for the rezoning application submitted for 10 St Mary Street. Area residents and members of the public are invited to provide their feedback for consideration by the developer and City staff in evaluating two potential building designs.

Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.

This just came in the mail.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,221
From Clr KWT newsletter:

This community consultation meeting is being held for the rezoning application submitted for 10 St Mary Street. Area residents and members of the public are invited to provide their feedback for consideration by the developer and City staff in evaluating two potential building designs.

Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.

Reminder that the above is tonight.

From May 28 meeting:

The Toronto Preservation Board recommends to the Toronto and East York Community Council that:

1. City Council refuse the issuance of a demolition permit for the heritage property at 10 St. Mary Street, in accordance with Section 34 of the Ontario Heritage Act.

2. If the owner appeals City Council’s decision to refuse the issuance of a demolition permit under Section 34 of the Ontario Heritage Act for the heritage property at 10 St. Mary Street, City Council authorize the City Solicitor and the necessary City staff to attend the Ontario Municipal Board hearing in opposition to the appeal.

So, the demolition request is withdrawn… and the proposal is on hold? the proposal is being reworked? the proposal is dead?

I think death is unlikely, but I wonder how long until we get a sense of the direction here.

I thought that they were planning to incorporate the current office building into the design of the project? I was surprised about the application for demolition.

Do we know whether it was the applicant's request to demolish or the Preservation Board's request that Council refuse the issuance of a demolition permit that was withdrawn?

Benito: the existing building would / will be demolished and a simulacrum built in its place. While the new structure would look like the original building, it would be residential, not office, in use.

We know that it was the demolition request which was withdrawn, as I already mentioned above to clarify AoD's post.

The reason seems to be a bit clearer now - from the item page:

The report (May 27, 2015) from the Director, Urban Design, City Planning, and the letter (May 29, 2015) from the Toronto Preservaton Board, headed "Demolition of a Designated Heritage Property - 10 St. Mary Street", were withdrawn at the request of staff, in that the property falls under By-law 277-2015 respecting Historic Yonge Street between Davenport Road and College Street.
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2015.TE7.21

By-law 277-2015
www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2015/law0277.pdf

During the period of one year from the date of enactment of this by-law (the "Study Period"), no person shall:
(a) alter or permit the alteration of any property situated in the Historic Yonge Street Heritage Conservation District Study Area, save and except for routine maintenance and repairs and the minor alterations not materially affecting the property or any building or structure located on the property more particularly set out in Schedule "B" attached to this by-law; or
(b) erect, demolish or remove or permit the erection, demolition or removal of any buildings or structures within the Historic Yonge Street Heritage Conservation District Study Area;

AoD

Interesting. I was under the impression that because Lifetime applied before By-law 277-2015 was enacted, it did not apply to them with regard to this property.

This is no longer a thing. Lifetime sold the building late last year or early this year. Perhaps someone with RealNet access can post the details?

This is no longer a thing. Lifetime sold the building late last year or early this year. Perhaps someone with RealNet access can post the details?

actually it very much still is a thing. castlepoint bought this property from lifetime for $28,000,000 and then added to it by purchasing the two buildings to the north (on St. Nicholas St.) for $12,000,000.

Back