Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

No renderings on Bazis site, but some info:

Yorkville, Toronto’s most luxurious urban neighbourhood is already home to two of our projects, Crystal Blu and Exhibit, and we’re happy to announce that it will soon be joined by our newest project, 1 Yorkville.

We build structures that exemplify luxury, creativity and community and this new project will be no different. According to our architect Rosario Varacalli, “1 Yorkville will stand out from other projects in Toronto because of three things: preservation, porosity and changing perspectives.”

Preservation

Yorkville has a rich history and it’s important to us that we respect heritage. We are preserving and restoring a collection of very refined Yorkville Village buildings that date back to the 1860s.

Porosity

We have always believed that buildings should be connected to the city and to the community, and this concept of porosity is reflected in many of our projects. 1 Yorkville will also be steps away from two subway lines and PATH. We are also introducing a revitalized and redesigned walkway/laneway that will connect pedestrians to Yorkville.

Perspectives

And finally, changing perspectives. This feature is what will make our newest project truly unique. At Exhibit, we have four rotated cubes that is the “parti-pris” or the main idea behind the architecture. For 1 Yorkville, Varacalli is introducing a sculptural 3D wallpaper – which changes in light, shadow and colour, and perspective.

Our new project is about changing perspectives in Yorkville and adding innovative structures to the City while preserving heritage. Over the next few weeks, we will be releasing more information and details about 1 Yorkville including renderings. Believe us when we say that you will be amazed with what we have to show you.

how is it steps away from the PATH? the closest PATH connected building is 1800 meters away, or 4 subway stops.

design sounds interesting though, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. lets get some images!

What stood out for me:

We build structures that exemplify luxury, creativity and community and this new project will be no different. According to our architect Rosario Varacalli, “1 Yorkville will stand out from other projects in Toronto because of three things: preservation, porosity and changing perspectives.”

Preservation

Yorkville has a rich history and it’s important to us that we respect heritage. We are preserving and restoring a collection of very refined Yorkville Village buildings that date back to the 1860s.

Thank god. Crystal Blu nothwithstanding, Bazis seems intent on delivering architecture that's a little bolder than we're used to (1 Bloor East, Exhibit, Emerald Park, E Condos), so I'm looking forward to this.

Last edited:
Promising to hear the intention to retain the historic buildings along Yonge. The Five-model has really provided a sustainable method of growth. Those Victorian storefronts have great bones, and once restored should continue to be a great resource for future diverse retail uses. The pedestrian passages will also extend the interactive urban network of Yorkville. E Condos was quite impressive, so I'm intrigued to see what Varacalli delivers this time.

how is it steps away from the PATH? the closest PATH connected building is 1800 meters away, or 4 subway stops.

I presume that they actually mean the underground connections to Manulife, Holt Renfrew, and Hudson's Bay Centre. Those aren't formally part of PATH, of course, and don't connect to it, but then again, College Park allegedly is part of PATH, and it also isn't connected to the rest of the PATH system.

I bumped into Roy Varacalli at a community meeting months ago for Minto's project just down the block, and we talked a bit about the plans for this building. I'm not going to claim that the Five model is going ahead here because of me, but I did tell him that how highly regarding its model is on UT. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with here too!

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3441733

836 YONGE ST
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Proposed residential mixed use development that will include retention of the 3 storey listed heritage buildings fronting onto Yonge Street and their re-use for retail commercial and offices uses, together with the construction of a 58 storey residential point tower to the rear of the heritage buildings.

Well, that's the first question answered.

Yorkville will be a congested street with 1 Yorkville and the 2 towers by Minto at the garage.
I took this yesterday of 836-848 Yonge, 1 Yorkville.
315C2735.jpg

What does "porosity" mean in this kind of context? I take it that it doesn't mean the roof will leak.

It means that there will be openings or walkways that allow pedestrians to travel through the site rather than being a monolithic block.

The proposal for neighbourly walkways is great but I can't imagine where they can lay and walkway. The lot is small for a 58 storey building and if they are preserving the Yonge Street facade, there is not room for access from Yonge. Any access from Yorkville side will be going into a dead wall perpendicaular to the Yonge Street buildings and there is nothing worth travelling to in that corner.

Those south and southwest units at 18 Yorkville just saw their units devalued with the impending construction and losing their view.
315C2691.jpg

Back