Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Censuring an earnest and informed discussion, though perhaps an uneasy one for some, diminishes this forum and amounts to nothing but craven pandering to Danny Crispin's delusional and paranoid objections.

So chalk up another empty victory here for political correctness I suppose! To interpret Adma's comments as an indictment of ALL new-commers is beyond paranoid. Most of us who can think for ourselves understand just which segments of those groups he refers to without demanding distracting and puerile clarifications... and yes, Adma is a bully at times (and I've been on the receiving end of it myself) but his cause is the extremely vulnerable and fragile shared jewel that is Heritage, so I think he can be excused for not suffering fools, brutish developers or their fanboys lightly as the stakes are just too high. Danny Crispin on the other hand is a bully of another sort, and a reprehensible one at that because he has no real cause, and when out of his intellectual depth he has no option but to shut down discussion. It's a wielding of power, in other words, to make a small mind feel larger.

I wasn't trying to shut down discussion -- I just want fair treatment of all opinions, including Adma's. I don't care if he generalizes cultures. Like I said, my point is that it's hypocritical to be lenient to some cultural generalities and opposed to others -- resulting in deletion of comments or banning of members. What's delusional or paranoid about me pointing out an obvious contradiction? I didn't say he felt that away about ALL Asians or Europeans, and I even admitted that there is truth to his statements. "It's a wielding of power, in other words, to make a small mind feel larger." Be careful. The next ad hominem attack is supposed result in a "vacation". But I don't want that. I actually agree with most things you say in this forum.

Now that that is out of the way, please continue with the previous discussion.

Last edited:
So, does anyone have any information on what actually is proposed for this site? Thanks in advance.

It's still really preliminary so nothing has been actually proposed yet. At least nothing that is released to the public. But knowing Bazis' Toronto portfolio, they will likely go with another Varacalli design.

Looks like it's gonna be a Plazacorp/Metropia/Bazis partnership here.

30 January 2013: 2 stores are closing--China Panda says "retiring after 52 years"--wow. Perhaps some action here sooner rather than later?

rps20130131015626.jpg

Last edited:
China Panda actually moved into that location after Lichtman's folded in '99. (But speaking of been-there-for-years: Thompson's homeopathic emporium next door; now moved, leaving one of the city's most superb remaining Deco storefronts in limbo...

I hope something like five condos happens here with the existing buildings being retained. Last thing Yonge street needs is another sterile glass podium.

I would give anything to see these facades restored as part of a development. This stretch of Yonge has a lot of potential with an intact streetwall of reasonably well-cared-for facades (and not all painted over, either!). A charm can be created here by restoring these facades that most new podiums cannot match.

If done well and integrated with a contemporary design, it could ultimately make the new building far more interesting.

Are these buildings all designated historical?

If they are, there's a probability that they'll end up being retained, whole or facade.

That charming row of Victorian buildings should definitely be retained. Considering the popularity of this strip for international students, mostly hanging out around the reference library, I could see a(nother) Korea/Japan town forming here (if not already). The midtown location reminds me a lot of NY's Koreatown.

Last edited:
I remember there being a distinction between a building being "listed" and "designated" but I'm not sure what it is. Can anyone explain?

These are some pretty deep lots. There's no reason why the existing storefronts can't be maintained as was done at Five. In fact, restoring them would probably add some real prestige to this project and win some hearts on staff. We'll see just how forward thinking Bazis is with this project.

I like these old heaps, no reason they cant demolish 60% of the back end and keep the 40% required heritage designation...a Five type development would work here.

Something tells me this inevitable Bazis blow up will be far more anti-climactic than the last. These sad looking Victorians may live to see the next condo boom circa 2020 after all.

Back