Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Perhaps Yorkville is a little sterile, but if its character is preserved, it'll always be one of the most interesting neighbourhoods in the city. So much money has been poured into restorations, renovation work and sophisticated infill that it has its own unique character of sophistication on top of its layers of history.

Everyone's talking about Yorkville as an undifferentiated whole. To my mind there's east of Bay and west of Bay, which are different, and then the city's intention to keep the highest buildings away from the centre of the west of Bay section. They may succeed, we'll see to what degree.

In the east of Bay section, owing to the relatively charmless condition of the shorter buildings on both the south side of Yorkville and the north side of Cumberland, I don't see much that could keep any of those around for a lot longer: those will all go high, it's inevitable. At least 1 Yorkville saves the buildings on Yonge (which are the best of the smaller ones on the east side anyway).

I have no problem with 80 storeys at Yonge and Bloor or Yonge and Queen, etc. but Yorkville and Yonge is no place for a 50 storey building. It will destroy the fabric of the neighborhood. This isn't Cityplace or Liberty Village. It's an important area for the city and should be carefully developed. Every time I've visited the area I'm literally blown away by the wind tunnels that exist there and this Blazis monstrosity will only make matters worse.

I haven't seen the shadow studies but can't imagine they don't blanket the street in shade during prime hours as well.

Fairly ludicrous post....'destroy the fabric of the neighborhood'? Let's not resort to hyperbole....As interchange42 posted above, there are 2 distinct parts to the Yorkville neigbourhood - east of Bay and west of Bay.....this site, so far to the east, and abutting Yonge, won't be destroying anything...

With 80 storey buildings going up less than 300 feet away, as noted by insertnamehere, this is hardly busting a lowrise residential neigbourhood...

Fairly ludicrous post....'destroy the fabric of the neighborhood'? Let's not resort to hyperbole....As interchange42 posted above, there are 2 distinct parts to the Yorkville neigbourhood - east of Bay and west of Bay.....this site, so far to the east, and abutting Yonge, won't be destroying anything...

With 80 storey buildings going up less than 300 feet away, as noted by insertnamehere, this is hardly busting a lowrise residential neigbourhood...

Sure it will. It will wind tunnel the whole street and shadow over much of the block. Yonge should be a gateway to this important neighborhood, not the entrance to a blustery amusement park of Blazis proportions and stylings.

I believe in hard boundaries- 80 floors, or whatever at Yonge and Bloor may work but keep the character of Yonge intact from here.

Think Broadway in Soho if you will.

Last edited:
within 200 meters of this building you have:

35 floors
34 floors
36 floors
52 floors
25 floors
41 floors

hardly a lowrise neighborhhood. to the south of this site you have a 35 floor building and to the north a 36 floor building. why should this suddenly be restricted to midrise? there is a 200 meter building to the north-west, 250 meter building to the south-east, 277 proposed building to the south-west, proposed 237 meter building to the west, etc, etc ,etc. This area is highrise, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be otherwise.

within 200 meters of this building you have:

35 floors
34 floors
36 floors
52 floors
25 floors
41 floors

hardly a lowrise neighborhhood. to the south of this site you have a 35 floor building and to the north a 36 floor building. why should this suddenly be restricted to midrise? there is a 200 meter building to the north-west, 250 meter building to the south-east, 277 proposed building to the south-west, proposed 237 meter building to the west, etc, etc ,etc. This area is highrise, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be otherwise.

I submit to you that 18 Yorkville was a mistake although compensated by the lovely public park that they built on the site.

The other buildings are on a Bloor Street or at major intersections. Otherwise I'd argue we should be very careful about exacerbating the wind and shadow issues in this area, as I've stated now 5x.

The issue with the wind has a lot to do with how the buildings meet the street, specifically the lack of setback from the tower to podium and/or windbreak. Fundamentally, Yorkville west of Bay is far less sensitive to buildings of this scale than Yonge south of Bloor.

AoD

1yorkvilled5.jpg

Ready for more renderings? Check out the front page story here!

Back