Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Getting a WTC vibe off this tower. I like it

That's the first thing I thought when I saw it on the front page, I like it too. I'm a little pessimistic that it will even come close to looking that good though.

Now this is a building that has some art to it but I still don't see any colour. Those fins need to be stainless steel, then it would be really stylish.

Agreed but be cautious in your expectations; those fins may just turn out be grey cladding of some sort....(and we know why)! I hope it is not true but given this city's fate you never know.

I am having trouble understanding how Bazis can build this one at 160m. They are claiming 9 foot finished ceilings so assuming an extra foot for duct work, and plumbing that puts the tower at 580 feet. Assuming the podium will have 1.5 to 2 times the ceiling height, plus mechanical of approx. 3 floors would put this at over 620 feet or so, no? All other towers in the city built in the 58 storey range have topped out at over 200m. At a minimum I would expect this to be 190m.

I looked at the other Bazis projects in the area to get an idea of their expected height for a 58-floor residential building.

One Bloor (canceled due to the Lehman Brothers collapse, but they were going to build it) -- 290.5m at 81 storeys = 208m at 58 storeys
Crystal Blu -- 129.1m at 36 storeys = 208m at 58 storeys
Exhibit -- 100m at 32 storeys = 181m at 58 storeys

So a "prestige" building (which this one appears to be) might be around 205m-210m, while a fairly low-end building could be as low as 180m-185m. 160m is much too low for its total height, there must have been a mistake somewhere.

Wow looks great! It will look even better across from the awful 18 Yorkville. Hopefully the materials are quality (like some 8 Spruce Street stainless steel), and like alklay I'd like to see a rendering of how it meets the street.

This looks amazing! It's still box shaped but at least our condos' facade materials are evolving a bit. I think they should just scrap the balconies and it would look almost perfect.

They are staying. What chu talkin' about?

The front page story reads like a goosed up press release: "This irreplaceable building, 1 Yorkville — designed by award-winning architect and creative genius Rosario Varacalli ...". Creative genius? Where? When? Crystal Blue? Seriously, I tend to read only the forums (like many) and front page stories full of this shite ain't exactly going to change my mind.

From the elevations at that site: height to top of building - 188.896m (assuming a 1.5m extension of the decorative "skin" above the top of the rooftop amenity, the distance is not marked on the elevation drawing but it looks to be that amount, plus or minus 10 cm) equals 619 feet 9 inches.

The total height was not marked, I had to add up all the floor heights.

There are also four levels of parking reaching 13.975m (45 feet 10 inches) below ground level, with the elevator pit extending a further 3.66m (12 feet) further down.

Here is the Yonge Street elevation of the base of the tower (the grey shading indicates restoration area):

ScreenShot118_zpsdd83389e.jpg

And the plan view:

ScreenShot119_zpsd4db8f18.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I do admire the sleek rendering but don't have much faith in their ability to build what they are showing here.

Please don't let Plazis turn this quaint street into the Bay Street south wind tunnel corridor. Yorkville doesn't deserve it. Can we not maintain a moratorium on height here? It will also shadow the 18 Yorkville parkette like crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back