Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Lose the Swiss cheese top and the building is decent. If you want a rooftop element go for something that doesn’t look like it was tacked on.

^ Yeah, I wonder if the architects purposely designed these wavy swiss cheese slices to complement T.O's skyline. I keep thinking a giant rat will climb up on the tower and eat the cheese.

These buildings look incredible but I'm not totally sold on the cheese top. Maybe if it was a different colour it would look better?

I love the swiss cheese hats. (m)Ice condos!

I also agree with the idea that the materials could change at the top. Something metallic could be nice. With some good LED lighting, the tops of these could also be great at night.

Is that green roof accessible? I would imagine that if it would dip down to the street and become kind of like an open area in the air- it could be quite an experience, especially if that areas becomes more crowded and at more hours than just events- which it looks like it probably will.
p5

Unfortunately, at the meeting in May, it was stated that the green roof would only contain vegitation and would not be intended for pedestrian use. Perhaps that has changed as of late, but the renderings still only show grass.

To chime in on the 'swiss cheese' commentary, I like how aA has gone for something different, even if it is 'tacked on.' The towers themselves look phenominal and this whole project should be an excellent addition to the area.

The roof is not the worse part of this project.
Change the materials/colour and it should turn out just fine.

The part I hate is seeing yet another new 'box-office' tower on the north side. I was still holding out hope that they'd reconsider that part of the project.

I hope they don't reconsider the office part ... cuz with most developers, the more they consider, the more likely they will just scrap the office component altogther, which would be a lost to the City's employment growth

come to think of it, any one with news on status of this OPA/ZBA planning application? the last I've seen was only a preliminary planning staff report, as this site is currently intended for 0% residential as-of-right

RENDERINGS_01.jpg

Nice looking buildings, but looks like they have a case of head cheese up top.

The canyon effect on the Gardiner is going to be a lot more pronounced with these buildings. Too bad the in reality the Gardiner and ramps are a lot more noticeable than in these renderings.

I have the same feelings about the top as well. My idea is to get rid of the orange-colour and replace it with a lighting feature, maybe LED lights that change based on the weather similar to the Met.

It's important that they do keep the office building as part of the plan, it's just to bad that there isn't more office space proposed. The design can be tweaked some since only the condo buildings are part of the first phase (and probably the initial site plan application, which could be amended to show changes in the office tower).

Is it just me or does the "hat" look like wood to you too?

It would make for a really cool solar cell panel to light the top, or even just a light box on top.

It's whimsical things like the "cheese hats" on these buildings I look forward to seeing more of in Toronto; down with the conservative, predictable buildings!

If 1 Bloor East were to fail, I'd love to see something like this in its place.

It certainly is on the top of a condo tower. You actually question that?

Seen any other Swiss cheese-topped condos?

Back